Coming to America for A Pirate Event

Greetings all...

Got A question.

I received an e-mail at my GoF site from some enthusiastic Italian Pirate re-enactors that are really interested in going to the US to participate at a Pirate event and are looking for a "recommended" event.

So.... what should I recommend? Gasparilla? Pirates in Paradise? any suggestions? I would think that one of the larger events with lots going on would be the best.... probably not a small town, 12 pirates show up, kind of event.

I-piratesflyer.jpg

GoF

PS

I am sure they are all hunky Italian men... and will probably need some body to show them around....

:o

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Gasparilla is like Mardi Gras - lots of drunken partying and play pirates.

PiP is working on becoming a re-enactor heaven and the crewes bring plenty of powder along to share. The fort is haunted, the entire grounds are empty except for re-enactors at night and well, it's in Key West for goodness sakes. Lots of stuff to do and see while you're not piratin. This is my fifth year and still love it. Just gets better each year.

Lockhouse, haven't been too. Others?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I think that they are planning to come to the US FOR the event, and then probably travel a bit afterward.

I had initially thought of suggesting PIP, but it may not give them enough time to get their act together... about a month.

So something in the Spring might be better as air fair will be cheaper than the summer months.

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Ojai, is kinda cool... And the Northern California Pyrate Festaval is huge (for thier first year).....

So for Play Pyrate they are kinda fun....

I haven't been to the Hampton Blackbeard festaval.... so I can't say anything about that .....

But PiP is shaping up to be SOMETHING..... Sure, it's still in the growing stages..... but I figure that if half the people that are planning on going this year make it...... Dang..... next year should be even better......

Guess we will have to wait and see..... but I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures from this year......

Here are my suggestions:

Pyratecon 2008 in New Orleans in April

or Pirates in Paradise 2008 Key West in late Nov/Dec.

Ojai is a grand time, but I wouldn't travel half way around the world for just Ojai. There is nothing but the festival to do and see in that area.

If I were looking for something on the west coast, I would do the Tallship Challenge in 2008.

http://tallships.sailtraining.org/

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

GoF... what does NQG site say about some events? Are a lot of them mentioned with dates and location and a summary of what it's about?

I say, we all just compile some event information with dates, location, and a summary of that event and send it to them as a list to let them decide. Doesn't hurt to put a rating with the events, too.

I hear Tybee Island has a Pirate Festival now.

I can't really recommend PyrateCon or Ojai or PiP or various other places as I've not been to them yet.

Related to Pirate, Port Washington is really the only event I've attended. All other events have been non-pirate events.

Oh, with the recommendations... perhaps a price estimate? Considering that with PyrateCon... involves the hotel, food, transportation, the troves of events that require a fee, etc just like any other convention.

Or a reenactment where there is camping (if there is a fee for the camping), if food is taken care of or not, transportation, other additional stuff.

Tis my two doubloons on the issue.

~Lady B

:ph34r:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Lady B

Yes, the NQG event page is the first place I checked (and the first link I sent our Italian friends).

But, I wanted to hear from folks that have been to the particular events, not just read the promoters by-line so to speak.

Thanks for all the suggestions though... I will keep you posted.

GoF

Gof... the chacnes of them getting to this years PiP are kinda slim.....

and.... lets see how it turns out.......

but I am guessing that next years PiP will be even cooler...... yah... the last two years... it's been kinda small.... heck... were working on that............

But ... how do you discribe a Pyrate event..... where there are a lot of people..... but only a few Pyrates "playing"....

I'm trying to explaine to my Boss who wants to go to PiP...... but heck.... she ask.... well what do you do ?....

Well we have this kinda gun battle.... an we sit around talking 'bout Pyrates....... and we drink some rum.....

Dang.... PiP is much more fun than that..... I just can't do it justace,,,,,,,,

But it is worth me flying all the way across the county to go play there..... so I guess that kinda says something bout it.......

If one was to look at the schedule of events for PiP, and not just those encampments at the forts, there is so much to do that it fills entire days. We participate in all the events there and this year we won't even have time to hit the streets of Duval this time around. It's a pretty packed four days of festival.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

In 2005, Mike and Andria left PIP for a few hours to go scuba diving, so even if the event itself were not enough to hold their interest the entire time, they could still find enough to do at Key West. A trip to the Dry Tortugas. A museum or two. A night of wining and dining.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

That is one of the beauties of PiP. There's literally hundreds of things to do before, during and after the events. A trip to the Dry Tortugas is a day long adventure, plus you can camp there overnight in probably the most true experience. There's no support services out there at night. It's just you, your tent and some fellow campers. Hey, why aren't we all out there?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Well, I have been to PiP 2006, Port Washington Pirate Festival, Pirates of Paynestown, Pike River Rendevous, and am preparing even as we speak for Lockhouse ~

At present, I would recommend PiP for the following reasons:

Easily accessible for out-of-country folk (Tampa, Miami, or KW airports).

Lots to see and do as a starting point (Florida Keys, PiP, Dry Tortugas, Miami, Orlando/Disney, Everglades).

Other than Port Washington, I believe PiP will have the largest gathering of re-enactors and entertainers, as compared to what I saw at the other events this year.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Another draw is the different encampments represented. They'll be the careening camp (circa 1725), the Pirate Hunters, the British troops and Port Royal (1680). It really covers the spectrum of activities for someone interested in portraying pirates. There's something for everyone plus lots of cannon and gun play.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Another draw is the different encampments represented. They'll be the careening camp (circa 1725), the Pirate Hunters, the British troops and Port Royal (1680). It really covers the spectrum of activities for someone interested in portraying pirates. There's something for everyone plus lots of cannon and gun play.

-- Hurricane

Aye, 'tis true, and Key West itself is quite unique. Nothing else quite like it..... PiP gets my vote.

>>>> Cascabel