Th' small stuff....

Patrick Hand

OK... a pretty Justicorp (Coat) is nice.....

But wot about th' small stuff we make and keep in our pocket/ haversack/ whatever.......

So here is a place to show off the cool small stuff that ye make.....

OK ter start this off....... here are two knives that I made....

2Knives.jpg

Knot work.... wood carving...... tabacco pouches....wot do ye have ter show off.....

:o Every picture of me from Ojai shows that "wee flogger" on my belt. A very useful gift indeed, Jill!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

All these are spread elsewhere about the forums but here's a sample of some of the small stuff I've done.

Knots4.jpg

Knots3.jpg

Here's my list of future projects -

Small fishing kit

Serving board

Serving Stick

Coin bag - initially just a sewn canvas bag but eventually I'd like to make the type described in Ashleys #2877

Cartridge Box (this one is was in the future as I don't yet have any weapons)

Rigging Knife - ground from a file, I've done these in the past and like them but use them hard and regularly break them.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I just carry a spoon and a feather quill (and my inhaler, in case of emergency.) That is part of what the Gunnister man had in his pockets (expect for the inhaler), so I figure it's a good start.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

My rigging gear and other tools have been covered here before, so here's some of the ephemera I carry about. I've been working a lot recently on reproducing paperwork from the period - as you can see.

flotsam.jpg

In no particular order:

A copy of the London Gazette (available from Kass btw)

A Massachussetts Bay Colony banknote for 2s 6d (also available from Kass)

A contract of employment on a merchantman

A bill of lading. Made out for goods shipped by Frederick Phillipse, notorious New York merchant - with, I might add, Phillipse's seal affixed.

A deck of cards

A note from my former captain testifying that I was "forced" by pirates.

A share certificate in the South Sea Company - Boy is that gonna be worth a fortune one of these days! :lol:

A clay pipe copied from a Port Royal 1690s design.

A folding knife

Gun flint, steel, and tinder can.

A ring dial

A bit of string

Hard currency in English, Colonial, and Spanish coin

And a bit of cheese in case I run into Ben Gunn.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

P3090002a.jpg

Folding locking blade knife

P7030285.jpg

Dubh and Fid, the fid usually stuck through the button holes of my jacket.

I may edit this later and add other images of this other stuff;

Gun flints and small gun tool (the pick/screwdriver/flint hammer thing)

Pocket watch

Small leather pouch full of dollar coins

Repro coins of the time period

Usually carry a short pipe in a pocket, or my longer one in my hat.

Tobacco cloth pouch (need a leather one)

Newly gifted box/playing board, Backgammon and Draughts full of the playing pieces, dice, deck of cards.

PB040794.jpg

PB040795.jpg

Small Spyglass

A rolled and beat up copy of the Draught of the Watch Dog.

I don't carry all this stuff all the time, my pockets would be buldging!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

pocketstuff.jpg

The contents of my pockets. No wonder I have to take them off before going to bed at night :lol:

Reading material:

1708 London Gazette (available from Kass)

Moderate Man's advice against drinking (a new copy that wasn't someone's drink coaster :lol: )

A new song in the praise of his taking the French privateers

Cambridge jests booklet

The gamesters art booklet

2 copies of Tobacco is but an Indian weed

The account of a horrid murder committed by pirates

My sewing kit:

2 pin cases

needle book with needles & over sized pins inside

chunk of bees wax

full & empty thread winders in bone & wood

small scissors

bone bodkin

large wooden needle

Misc junk:

playing cards & pouch

4 dice

keys

candle nubs for fire starting

beaten up green ribbon (used to be my shoe laces but I've since acquired buckles)

extra stay lacing

Not pictured:

snuff (I need a PC box for it)

handkerchief (it's in the laundry)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Nice stuff Chole - a gal after me own heart I see!

Morgan, no, I can't find the paper stuff on Kass's site either, but she's definitely got them - shoot her an email.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Nice stuff Chole - a gal after me own heart I see!

Except that you're paperwork is much nicer than mine Ed. I don't have the handwriting to make anything from scratch so I stick with printed broadsides. Thank goodness for technology!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Most of my stuff is printed. Only the letter from the captain is handwritten, and the contract and lading bill are printed with handwriting filling the gaps. My normal handwriting is appalling anyway, so by simply looking at some period handwriting to get the letter shapes it was easy to produce a period looking scrawl. When I want it to look semi-literate I use my left hand. The bit I'm proud of is the seal.

I'm working on a printed (fill in the gaps) letter of attorney and a New York Customs clearance certificate at the moment.

Out of interest, apart from Kass's stuff (did you know I've got the original of the Gazette by the way?) where's your paper matter from?

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Most of my stuff is printed.

Out of interest, apart from Kass's stuff (did you know I've got the original of the Gazette by the way?) where's your paper matter from?

I do seem to remember the Gazette(s ) being from your originals. Isn't it also the bank note that is re-forged from a forged original, or is my memory going already?

My broadsides are a combo of sources honestly. Some I've found in archives on-line, some from companies that reprint period materials, some are from friends who have generously passed their copies onto me for the coffeehouse, some I faked :huh: