My hat...

I worked this hat together a month or so ago, and since we're sharing...

It's not really period correct, the crown is fitted oblong rather than round, but it's what I had to work with at the time.

I followed these directions, with some variations as I got to 'em.

My biggest problem was the felt that is available for sale in most places is too light for a hat. I doubled it, and thought that some ironed-in interfacing would make up for a lot of the floppiness. No luck, the felt didn't stick well to the interfacing, so the hat is somewhat... poofy-looking, up close.

Once it was cocked, though, I think it would pass at reasonable distance -- if not, I'm sure someone here will be happy to point it out. :lol:

All hand-stitched, though, no machine sewing whatsoever. And I might manage a pic of it worn at some point, as well (I tried, it was truly terrible trying to take a picture of myself at arm's distance -- we're way overdue for new costumed pics).

hat1.jpghat2.jpg

sig2.jpg

If you use "craft weight fusible pellon".... you can really glue the layers together when you iron it.....

I made my first hat that way...

I used three layers of felt, and two layers of fusible pellon, ironed them all together, then stitched through all the layers.... it made the brim stiff enough....

But I was much happier using a hat blank and finishing it myself.....than with the layered felt.....

Spmething else that's fun....

Make a hat outta canvas ....(a cylinder for the body, a flat top, and the brim (doubled)...)

Then paint it with black oil based paint....

A Tarplin hat.......

Semi-period, they don't blow off yer head in th' wind, and they are waterproof.........

Ah, Pat, ye've read my mind...

I've been working on exactly that, just been having a bit more trouble with it than the felt was. I seriously mis-measured my wife's head (yeah, there's gotta be a good joke or two in there) and need to pull the crown off and start it over.

That's why I moved on to the slops, was getting frustrated with the hat and needed to work on something else to clear my head...

sig2.jpg

If you use "craft weight fusible pellon".... you can really glue the layers together when you iron it.....

I made my first hat that way...

I used three layers of felt, and two layers of fusible pellon, ironed them all together, then stitched through all the layers.... it made the brim stiff enough....

But I was much happier using a hat blank and finishing it myself.....than with the layered felt.....

What?? You didn't raise your own sheep, shear the wool and make your own felt?? You're slipping, Patt! :ph34r:

RHJMap.jpg

So much $$$ did ye have to invest in tools, fabric, and tyme for your hat project?

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Not too much on mine, Eye (though I'd wager there's much more invested in Pat's).

Maybe $12 or $13 on the felt and interfacing, and already had needles and thread and such. As far as time, I couldn't say, I just picked it up and worked on it for an hour or so when I was otherwise sitting still. Maybe five or six evenings for an hour or three at each sitting...?

sig2.jpg

thanx for the reply... helps me wiegh if I want to commit to making a hat.. or not.

Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

A hat blank costs something like $25 but takes an hour at the very most (and more like a 20-30 minutes) to transform into a hat. Consider that in your calculations.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Something else to consider.... making your own hat outta felt... they just don't turn out as nicely as using a hat blank....

My first hat was made from felt... but I quickly bought a hat blank....

If you really want to make a hat... make it outta canvas and paint it... a tarplin hat....

I'm going to a rendezvous this week nd (going to freeze me arse off tho...) but next week, I could type-up how to make one if your interested.....

Eye think I'll pass fer now... I wanna get me a barbossa hat next any way.. Making one myself was a passing thought...

Noquarter2copy.jpg

Oderlesseye... the Barbossa hat is by no means difficult to make. Made my own really. Generally is a hat blank, feathers and a hat band. Easy as ever.

I'm currently in the middle of making another hat... this one made from crimson velvet with black lace and gold metallic trim.

Wanted to step away from the felt and add something a little new. Whenever I can get those pics uploaded to my comp... I'll post the work in progress.

Pellon is being used to make this hat possible. So far... it's working mighty well.

I plan to make another out of ribbed cotton or courdroy after this one.

And also a newer Barbossa hat.

Eager to make my own hats now that I have a general clue of how to make them.

Now... once finished... it's onward to making shoes! Or at least attempt to. :rolleyes:

Oh, Patrick... I could see using the wool felt to make hats, too. I wish however I had the wood blocks to make hats. I can easily get the wool felt (in limited colors). Just comes down to $$$ and space (THE biggest factor).

Oh, and Patrick... suggestions when distressing hats made with Pellon? What to do and what not to do?

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!