Flying Dutchman... Where it is now

Gentleman of Fortune

Yeah, it's at Castaway Cay, Disney's private island, I heard. One of my friends went on their cruise and saw it there. Looks great from the one side, doesn't it?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Last I heard, Disney was getting ready to pull it from Castaway Cay for repairing. I'll have to check my sources to see if it's still there. I was planning on a visit in May 2008.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

That are going to remove it since it's falling apart.

It wasn't constructed to be an outside exibit for any REAL length of time.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

What do they plan to do with the Flying Dutchman, Bess? The Dutchman is an absolutely FABULOUS vessel! Sparks one's imagination and interest. I've heard more folks like the Dutchman now more than the Black Pearl!

I hope that it's repaired.

Any ideas that are being tossed around? Perhaps making it fully seaworthing and having it sail around to ports to festivals?!?

:::Raises hand::: if so, SIGN ME ON!!! I'll serve 100 years before the mast!!!

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

It's hard to say ladies... and since they are on the *other* coast.... I have no input or direct connections.

When they stuck the set here on the lot they just trashed the whole thing :( Not so sad for me though... I gathered up lots of the foam barnacles and a few planks from the Dutchman so.... :(

Hello.

Pirate. :(

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

It's hard to say ladies... and since they are on the *other* coast.... I have no input or direct connections.

When they stuck the set here on the lot they just trashed the whole thing :( Not so sad for me though... I gathered up lots of the foam barnacles and a few planks from the Dutchman so.... :(

Hello.

Pirate. :(

Oh . . .

The nature of film.

Build it, shoot it, trash it.

The set burned in Gone With The Wind (as Atlanta) was the set from another film.

(It isn't a new thing)

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

The set burned in Gone With The Wind (as Atlanta) was the set from another film.

(It isn't a new thing)

Right.... it was the gateway of the original "King Kong"

Yet... Davey's banacle clusters are some of them sitting on my Tiki Bar.

Mai Tai's and film history. Gotta love it! :(

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Certain things are just not made to be saved. I just built this huge skeleton tree thing for haunted house this year and, a nice as it came out, I figure it's going down with the house. It's too big ...and, well, not quite fragile, but not quite durable either - like the Dutchman... so I take comfort in the fact that I have a bunch of photos which I can show or post on my website. The prop will be bulldozed when the city tears down the haunted house in December, but I have my record.

Just like Disney created the film as a record of their prop. Storing (not to mention repairing) such things costs money. You might argue it could be turned into a tourist attraction, but I'll bet it's so far from being typical tourist-person friendly that it'd be cheaper to build a whole new one specifically for tourism purposes...provided they wanted to do such a thing.

Having some small experience with such things, that just seems like reality to me. (Although they could auction it on eBay if the liability issue could be handled. Surely there's some lunatic out there with more money than sense who would brave all costs to own such a thing.)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

iron bess correct me if im wrong but i thing i remember them auctioning of the original black pearl figure head

One of them.... there was more then one since there was more then one Black Pearl. :lol:

I'm sure it was screen used and that the auction made a note that is was not a one and only. :lol:

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

::Le sigh::: auction off the Dutchman?!? Then few will ever see it! :huh:

Ehh... who knows.

Would be awesome to own the Flying Dutchman. I don't know, mates. I know a LOT of folks who fancied the Dutchman more than the Pearl.

Speakin' of th' Black Pearl, where is said vessel?

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Speakin' of th' Black Pearl, where is said vessel?

~Lady B

:unsure:

OMG... which one?

The one on hydraulics has been trashed, the huge model is in Bruckheimer back yard, one has been specifically made for charity events and sails around... working ones dismantled, take your pick!

:(

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

. . . the huge model is in Bruckheimer back yard, . . .

:lol:

Oh, the fun of film . . .

Where theft becomes "preservation" . . .

(Unless you work at Lucas).

I often wonder what percentage of props winds up in people's personal possessions.

Of course, whatever is not pillaged, usually ends up in landfils . . .

(who am I to complain).

It is just the "artistic" side of me that is saddened by the destruction of such lovely stuff.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg