Bermuda Triangle

Matusalem

Last night I caught a PBS dumentary on the mystery of the Bermuda Triangle (or Devil's triangle)....just another mysterious variable in the water between Miami, the out-islands, and Bermuda. Some parts of the broadcast had some cool bits of an earlier broadcast hosted by eerie-voiced Vincent Price. What really got my attention, personally, was the 1985 sinking of the sailing bark Marques ( whom I lost a schoolmate on an educational trip). Internet has some interesting sites:Lost Ships

However, it's difficult to find any info on pirate ships....but relevant just the same.

SHIP2-1.jpg

I'm sure you've heard of this tale, Matusalem. Though it parallels the same fate of the Mary Celeste – I was very surprised that it occurred so far north of the Bermuda Triangle.

THE SEA BIRD- Also called the "Beach Bird" in some accounts. This ship sailed into the rocks at Newport, Rhode Island, in 1850, and was found to be completely deserted except for a dog and a cat. A fire blazed in the galley stove, a steaming kettle was on top of it, and the table was set for a meal. The odor of tobacco smoke was still strong in the crew's quarters. No trace of her human crew was ever found, and the brig itself later disappeared during a storm. The captain of the vessel was either John Durham or Huxham, depending upon the accounts. The last entry in the captain's log noted the sighting of Brenton reef several miles offshore. The crew of a fishing boat reported that they had exchanged signals with the ship in the water only two hours before she was discovered abandoned.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh, Cheeky Actress lass, I must admit that you have me stumped, for I am a sucker for many Rhode Island ghost stories such as the Palatine ship off Block Island. .......Well, now you got me thinking....I had to edit this post a couple of hours later, and I do seem to recall such a tale. seems old age is getting the best of my memory. Cheers to ye :lol: .

The rocks off Brenton reef are pretty treacherous....looks exactly like Monterey, Ca.. You can get the idea from this pic I took from the Jamestown side during Tall Ships.

PELL2.jpg

SHIP2-1.jpg