Need help with a decision

MorganTyre

Well my kit is coming together in earnest but so far it's as bare and simple as one can get. My next step will be a jacket of some sort but I'm stuck between Kass's sleeveless waistcoat (RH704) or the sailors short jacket (RH705). Any inputs as to the strength or validity of one versus the other would be well appreciated.

Picture476.jpg

Picture479.jpg

Also high on the list are stockings, shoes, a decent belt, buttons on the shirt (god I love that shirt), redo the hat, and also make a monmoth cap.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I'd say, go with the short jacket pattern....

Then you could make one with the sleeves, and another without sleaves and have one of each.....

Or you could make the one without sleeves a little shorter and tighter and wear it under the jacket... but you would have something to work from.....

What time of yer do you "play" the most? If the weather is usually warm when you are out and about, you will appreciate the waistcoat more. You can always start with that and move to a coat or jacket later. I have the jacket. but I still wear my long linen waistcoat most of the time. Missouri and he mid-west is very humid and the jacket is just too much during the summer and early fall.

Bo

I'd say, go with the short jacket pattern....

Then you could make one with the sleeves, and another without sleaves and have one of each.....

Or you could make the one without sleeves a little shorter and tighter and wear it under the jacket... but you would have something to work from.....

I would second Patrick's suggestion, go with the short jacket first, you can always add a waistcoat in later, and the short jacket is more versatile as a starting peice.

Michael_banner.jpg

What time of yer do you "play" the most? If the weather is usually warm when you are out and about, you will appreciate the waistcoat more.

The weather is one of my concerns. I live in South Texas where it is always HOT HOT HOT (but at least there is a constant prevailing wind) so I was wondering which would be the cooler of the two. As for time of year, I'm at it year round. I'm also leaning towards Patricks suggestion. Would sleeveless versions of the short jacket exist? Also, much mention has been made of the slop contract. Where can I find a copy of this written out? Material choices? I imagine I'll have lots of questions. This will be my next big hand stitching project (the shirt was my first - all linen) and I have limited time.

Ropework_Header.jpg

I am a short jacket fan... you could make one out of heavier linen if wool aint' your bag.

But I am curious about the phrase "buttons on the shirt"... Whattaya mean???

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The GAoP era slop contract specs are stickied in this forum:

http://www.piratebrethren.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Well Morgan, you are doin a fine job of it so far I say. Make sure and explore all options and suggestions, but also make certain that your final decision is your own. You already have a decent start and you really don't need any buttons but possibly on the cuff. GoF sent me a bunch of originals to work with and repair awhile back, so if you'd like a couple I'd be happy to extend his gracious gift.

Bo

Yeah the buttons are for the cuff. I'm not sure about the style of button that I want though. Patrick now has me kicking around the idea of making my own. Thank you all for the support and suggestions. I'm thinking I will go with the short jacket. To be honest, I was leaning in that direction before making my initial post but wanted some second opinions. Now I'm off to go read the slop contracts...

Ropework_Header.jpg

More than weather, it depends on what you are actually going to do. If all this is for is to walk around faire, then whichever suits your fancy and purse. If you are actually going to be doing any work, crewing a cannon, hauling line, fighting,or going aloft, then I recommend the short jacket. I have found that the longer skirts on the weskit have a tendency to get in the way, especially when crewing a cannon.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Hmm... tough decision indeed.

Honestly, I think your kit looks fantastic as is! Add a few things slowly like it's been stolen or washed ashore and you have a hell of a buccaneer look.

My question is for you... what look are you going for?

I know folks look at the clothing, whether patterns or what other folks have... but it all boils down to, what look you are going for, who yo'r persona is, where they are from, where they are now and why.

~Lady B

;)

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have three long coats now...One for a Gentleman, one for a midling sort and one for the "Rats"........

However, from the first time I saw it...I absolutely love my short jacket!!!

Vests are for when it's too warm for a jacket and when you need pockets!!

But truthfully.....A pair of stockings and your set my friend!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Morgan, you should read "Wilderness Manhunt." It's about La Salle's expedition to establish a colony in New Spain, or what is now known as Texas. Actually, it's more about the Spanish effort to find this colony and destroy it, but it's a pretty interesting read, filled with pirates and originals and even La Belle, which is a ship that was recently excavated and provided a wealth of information on shoes.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Thanks for the recomendation, I'll be sure to check it out. Luckily quite a few of the artifacts for the ship are housed at our local museum, of which I'm a volunteer, and at the Texas Maritime Museum which is relatively close. Very neat stuff. The marina we kept our boat at when I was a kid became the hub of the escavation. I probably sailed right over that wreck dozens of times a few decades ago.

Ropework_Header.jpg

But truthfully.....A pair of stockings and your set my friend!!

Sailor's jacket gets my vote... and then shoes... aye, methinks shoes before stockings.. You can wear shoes without the stockings, but you'd look bloody silly running around in stockings without yer shoes... <_<

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/