Archaic Boatyard

JohnnyTarr

I am going to launch a new buisness. I am going to build and repair boats. When I am done with a boat I want people to say "They just don't make them like that anymore." I enjoy working in wood and have lots of carpentry experience. I am learning to work in fiberglass so I should have most of the basics covered. Now what I really need is to find the various hardware that boats need. Any questions or advice are welcome.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

That sounds interesting, especially as it seems to interest you. I wish you good luck with your venture.

Perhaps what you really need to find is your first customer so you know exactly what parts you really need to find. Then Google away!

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Well I have two projects on the docks now. One is a Dolphin SR, this one needs serious hull work, a new sail, new dagger board, new rudder and new rigging. The second is a Ghost 13, this one needs everything but hull work.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Well I believe this may help.

http://www.boat-links.com/

It's a pretty exhaustive and exhausting list ~ much to do with boatbuilding.. novice through pro ~ river through ocean. Best of Luck with your venture!

So...you're gonna maybe build a frigate for us lovely crew of the Watch Dog? Huh? :huh:

Seriously keep us posted on what you're up to :huh:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

I don't know about your area, but here there are lots of rotting old fiberglass sailboats lying around peoples yards. I have gone around asking and many people are happy to have them removed. Finding a boat yard that would take the scrapped hulls was difficult, but I already have two five-gallon buckets of good hardware in stainless, brass and bronze fittings and such.... FREE! Just a thought.

Bo