Jenny Cat

Matusalem

Following up on Island Cutter's offering of his small sailboat, I took interest and paid him a visit. I am taking a deeper interest in building a small wooden vessel, that is trailerable and would like to request his help at some point.

I am narrowing the plans down to one of two boats. I am fond of Herreshoff designs, probably because in their heyday (late 1800's) built were built in my hometown and plied the waters I learned to sail in.

I am looking at primarily to make a dual gaff-rigged catboat, thus the "cat" name. This style of rigging is a bit more ancient than the present cutter-rig style of sail. This will most likely be, believe it or not, plywood lap-strake construction.

Jenny

Coquina

SHIP2-1.jpg

Iron Bess, if you ever come up thisaway and go sailing with us, we'll make sure you get Dramamine. I get seasick too, if I can't see the horizon.

But... but....

I've tried:

Dramamine

Merzine

The Patches

The buttons on the wrists...

The only thing that even slightly helped that last time I was out was a constant stream of cola with liquid ginger in it. :ph34r:

But I'm willing to try anything as long as if it fails folks can bring me back in without too much inconvenience to themselves. I'd rather die in my own bed then at sea of nausea!! :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

The only thing that even slightly helped that last time I was out was a constant stream of cola with liquid gin in it. 

Fixed that for you.

By the way, that usually works for me, too, at least until we get back to land, and the dock starts spinning.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

The only thing that even slightly helped that last time I was out was a constant stream of cola with liquid gin in it. 

Fixed that for you.

:ph34r:

Okay, thanks mate.

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

My pleasure. :ph34r:

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Sorry to have not found your thread sooner. I'm still busy planning and scheming about PiP.

Anyway, Coquina would be my choice to build. The lapstrake technique is a bit more approachable for the non-professional boat builder. It also offers more of that "hand-crafted" look inherent in the overlapping planks.

If you get an opportunity, have a look at the designs of a friend of mine in Cardigan, Wales... SwallowBoats

I don't recall from your visit to my workshop, if you saw the 1/2 scale mock-up of the SwallowBoats Storm 15. I CNC files ready to cut for this design... just to make your choices more difficult :o

"No Profit Grows Where is No Pleasure Taken."