Quick way to improve your Sailor impression

Wear a neckerchief....

Now, I know Mr Foxe loves to be the counterweight, but it is really hard to find pictures of GAoP sailors, on ship or off, that are not wearing something around their neck.

It doesn't have to be a fancy silk affair either! A simple linen job, a square yard, will work.

85757763.jpg

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

The functional benefit of a neck scarf is pretty good, too. You can put ice in it and roll it up on those hot days.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

as someone who wears a neckerchief in all their period clothes I can heartily agree that they are most useful.

Silk is best in the hottest temps. Linen good for most year round use (try getting it wet and wearing it that way if you get warm). Light weight wool or my newest find wool/silk blend (not pc but loverly!) is fantastic for keeping comfy when the temps start to dip.

And don't feel relegated to just black or white either. The neckerchief is the fastest, cheapest way to add a shot of color to your wardrobe (says the lady with green hands from dying herself a new earlier today)

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I would like to expand on this subject a bit. for those of us subject to heat exhaustion, they make these newr coolie things that are designed to go around the neck. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. I believe it would be a small matter to wrap one of these inside a PC piece of cloth to use when things get really hot. I've been down to heat before and "clinically dead" for over three minutes, so this is a real concern for me. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Bo

I don't think I've ever been known to speak out against neck-cloths for the GAoP.

One of the interesting things about neck-cloths (if you'll all indulge my waffle here for a moment) is that they seem to have come in to fashion in about 1620. It's weird, I can't explain it, and I'm not sure I believe it myself, but there really does seem to be a clear cut line at about that date. Prior to 1620 there are almost no written or visual references to neck-cloths (take note you Elizabethan sea dogs), but after 1620, as Greg says, it's almost impossible to find a picture of a sailor without one.

Perhaps we should have an "oldest neck cloth" competition. I have an orange one which I can definitely date to the summer of 1990 when I swapped it for my black scout neckerchief with a German cub scout at an international camp as Karlstadt, Germany.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Aye Fox... post me one of 'em pics mate thet has auh Neckercheifed salior.

I could use the reference ifen ye has it.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Kinda funny....

I was looking at the cover of A General History....of Pirates with a Howard Pyle painting on the cover.... I thought the picture was called "And who shall be Captain".... but I could be wrong about that....

anyway.....

http://www.answers.com/topic/howard-pyle

shows the picture....

And LOOK.... almost all of them are wearing a neckerchief..... :huh:

Dang.... he got some stuff right.... it might be a fun thread to pick a Howard Pyle painting, and compaire what he got wrong with what he got right..... :huh:

I have often heard much about what Howard Pyle did to stereotype the pyrate image with bucket boots etc. but if you actually examine his work he has many details correct ...He shows very few examples of any pirate wearing bucket boots most are in buckle shoes or barefooted and the clothing is stylized at worst but not the guideleines for the 1930's hollywood designer sorts of "fashion" blunders attributed to him. .....just my humble opinion

PF_2309769.jpg

Thanx Patrick. :ph34r:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I have often heard much about what Howard Pyle did to stereotype the pyrate image with bucket boots etc. but if you actually examine his work he has many details correct ...He shows very few examples of any pirate wearing bucket boots most are in buckle shoes or barefooted and the clothing is stylized at worst but not the guideleines for the 1930's hollywood designer sorts of "fashion" blunders attributed to him. .....just my humble opinion

PF_2309769.jpg

But Callenish, that surely isn't what the real Capt. William Kidd looked like! B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Your wish is occasionally my command:

85754800.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Dang, have a cravat that goes back to 1982... but no neck-cloths....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I think I have you all beat. I have a period correct neck cloth made in France from original 18th century patterns that I bought in 1978. If someone has one older, it would almost be original! Unfortunately, I am considerably older than most of you too.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 2 weeks later...
is that they seem to have come in to fashion in about 1620. It's weird, I can't explain it, and I'm not sure I believe it myself, but there really does seem to be a clear cut line at about that date. Prior to 1620 there are almost no written or visual references to neck-cloths (take note you Elizabethan sea dogs),.

What's your defi nition of almost none, Ed? Is there any visual evidence at all?

Not to open a can of worms, and not to disbeleive you, but some of Angus MacBride's artwork shows Armada period sailors in neckcloths and head rags. I know he took most of his inspiration from period renditions, but was this a case where he did not? Secondary source at best, so not reliable, but was his work based on a primary source?

Hawkyns

:lol:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I struggle to think of any visual evidence for them in the Tudor period, but I'm not ready to say there's none.

I gotta say, on the whole the artwork MacBride did for that whole series (Sea dogs, Buccaneers, Pirates) of Ospreys is well below his par for reliability, just look at the illustrations in the Pirates 1660-1730 book. Bucket boots, jolly roger tattoos, earrings, and all the usual nonsense on every page.

There's quite a good discussion of Osprey artwork (contributed to by Osprey artist David Rickman) over on the PB forum, and the news isn't good.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Interesting. Yeah, I'd seen that and wondered about it. And it is strange, because all of his other stuff was pretty much spot on, his

ECW art in particular.

I understand there is a new book out about him, showing lots of his artwork. Haven't seen it yet though.

Hawkyns

:blink:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I would like to expand on this subject a bit.  for those of us subject to heat exhaustion, they make these newr coolie things that are designed to go around the neck.  I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.  I believe it would be a small matter to wrap one of these inside a PC piece of cloth to use when things get really hot.  I've been down to heat before and "clinically dead" for over three minutes, so this is a real concern for me.  Anyone else have a thought on this?

Bo

I have one of those cool things with pirate motif on it. It's great on hot days, I just throw it in a cooler with ice water and a few minutes later it's either wrapped around my head or neck. They are great! (I actually have another one that a cousin gave me, but it's not piratey so I don't

use it at events)

BTW- I bought mine through the No Quarter Given booth at an event.

Interesting. Yeah, I'd seen that and wondered about it. And it is strange, because all of his other stuff was pretty much spot on, his

ECW art in particular.

I suspect that in that particular case the truth is that ECW clothing had already been thoroughly researched a million times over by the time MacBride came to paint, but with the maritime series he was working more or less blind as very little decent research had been done on sea-farers clothing of the times.

But we're getting off topic here...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk