Bottles...

I picked this up, tis a dutch bottle. $10, I should have bought more, but I can get more from the sutler later.

P8160493.jpg

I recall somewhere seeing simular bottles found on shipwrecks.

I've seen onion bottles and other glass bottles, but I love this fired clay vessel.

I plan to use this at events.

Good?

Bad?

Ugly?

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Tis marked;

J.J.MEDER&ZOON

SCHIEDAM.Holland

It holds quite a bit of liquid... bit on the heavy side, but too cool to leave sitting around...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Aye, it was a good buy. But alas I wanted me own, but found that Dorian's new drinking vessel was too big for my small hands to hold as well as too heavy once it is full. I am hoping that we can find a smaller version that will fit in me hand.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

• 4 weeks later...

Antique Bottles

It looks like it's an old gin bottle, used from from the 1850's and up...

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Oh....

Bugger.........

Mayhaps someone can find them dating earlier... please?

1850 and up... bugger... hoping fer 1750 or earlier...

:angry:

I like gin... now I need ta fill'er up wi' gin... one rather large Tangeuray and tonic wi' a lime...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

More on stoneware jugs, from - Bols Distillery

The first time the Bols name shows up is in 1634 Amsterdam town papers, the distiller Pieter Jacobszoon Bols is mentioned as being established at the Rozengracht.

Up until the early 1850's Bols didn't bottle their liqueurs in their own jugs or bottles. Local customers were bringing their containers to the factory, mainly German mine­ral water jugs.

For selling outside Amsterdam Bols purchased German stoneware jugs from German traders, which were travelling through Holland with horse wagons stored with empty jugs.

In the mid of the 19th century water-companies were started in the Netherlands. This cased a sharp decline in the consumption of German mineral waters. And the need to stoneware jugs diminished strongly.

So from 1854 Bols ordered his own stoneware jugs directly from Germany. And till today they still ordering their stoneware jugs from the same pottery.

from - Archaeology Antwerp

Mineral Water Jugs

Period : 18th Century

Provenance : Germany

Material : Stoneware

The mineral water jug in stoneware was developed in the 18th century. Various German regions bottled and traded in mineral water, and also produced water jugs. They remind us a great deal of the 19th century gin bottle.

THIS WOULD PUT YOUR TYPE OF BOTTLE IN THE RIGHT TIME PERIOD ! (As long as you ignore the printing on it...)

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

DANG...Dang.... dang....

It just occured to me....

My Boss hired a Mexican lady that her (the Mexican Lady) and her husband make hand(?) blown glass.......

Onion Bottles...... Dang.... I gotta sak if they can make them.........

It just never occured to me to ask if they could make them...... works fer everyone..... they make bottles and we buy them.......

Dang...Dang...Dang..... gotta ask......

Well hold on a minute....

Shoes have been used for thousands of years, but that doesn't mean that Nikes' Air Jordan's would be good for the Victorian era, or the Vietnam era for that matter.

That style of stone wear jug is at best, 2nd half of the 18th century. I see them at flea markets in germany all the time, and no kidding, yesterday, a friend of mine bought 3 of them for $12.

Stone wear jugs that are definitely good for GAoP are the bellamine jugs also called Bartman Jugs.

Here is a BartmanKrug or Bellarmine Jug from 1699

B7740-.jpg

More info can be found on them at this good Bellarmine Jug Site

And remember, they too are "Stone wear Jugs"

The GAoP is a sticky wicket as it covers the end of the 17th Century and just the first quarter of the 18th century. Not only does it cover parts of two centuries, but it covers to distint style periods as well (Baroque and Rococo). For the early part of the GAoP we are in the last throes of the Rococo, then a mixing of styles, and finally it all gives way to the Rococo.

The wicket gets stickier when doing research as something that says its "18th century" could very easily be 1789 as it could be 1709, and I think that these bottles fall in that category.

I would love to be wrong... if anyone can come up with a mineral water stone jug that is of the style you posted that is prior to 1725, I would love to see it.

Until then, I think known styles of liquid container are our best bet onion bottles, casks, cask bottles and possibly calabashes.

Just some thoughts.

GOF

Calabash

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I looked through the Museum of Londons digital images of stoneware and ceramics and the best I could come up with is a similar piece with a possible range of 1701 - 1800. Too large of a margin of error to use for documentation. Museum Of London

The other stoneware bottles of this type are from mainly 1850 and up, with a few dated from 1801-1900 (again, a very large range).

I guess I should have stuck with the original estimate on my first post...

Jonathan Washbourne

Here's what I use. It is a calabash, waxed inside and out with beeswax. It is shown here without its shoulder strap attached. I need to make a carved wooden stopper for it, however, as I don't believe cork was used this early.

IM000877.jpg

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Calabash gourds like this are still used in Jamaica and readily available. They most certainly were used during GAoP there from what the islanders have told me. That looks terrific!

As for reproduction onion bottles, they're not hard to find. I have one or two here. Getting one that looks like the originals is a little harder, primarily because the materials are so different. I would love the original kinds. In Jamaica, when you pull one out of the water it falls apart within a day because of the materials used in the glass and the chemicals in the water. I would love to have one from the sunken town.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I agree with Hurricane

A lot of the repro onion bottles just don't look... quite... right.

Considering that the onion bottle has a pretty long history and covers a large date range itself, they do change in appearance over time.

A lot of time the color is off too... the repros seem to be lighter in color and not the dark, rich black/green of the originals.

I like your calabash Midnight. Good work once again!

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

A few years back, I found an onion bottle circa 1699 in fairly good condition and picked it up as a present for Jack. We've since gotten some reproductions and they definitely look different. Much lighter and the glass seems to have a different, I don't know - texture, for lack of a better word. I'm not sure you could truly reproduce a bottle to make it look like the genuine article from 300 years ago.

But... we take the reproductions with us to reinactments because we don't want to risk the original.

RHJMap.jpg

Aye... true enough, Jill. To get TRULY AUTHENTIC... you have to either use the EXACT same things they did (tough enough) to make the items or you have to go back a couple hundred years to obtain them.

The modern world has changed a lot. We use different things to make certain items. Even the reproductions. Many of those arts have been lost.

My curiosity with that onion bottle on eBay... is why so cheap, and rather fantastic looking for being stuck in a jungle for nigh 300 years!

Dorian... as to your bottle. I fancy it, too. I wish ye luck on the historical aspect.

~Lady B

:rolleyes:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

lovely...........any dimensions or did i miss those?????????

ye ship's potter,

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string