Moby Dick

Matusalem

Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab. The worst cinematography and special effects of any recent movie I've seen. It makes the 1953 version '20,000 leagues Under the Sea' look as good and modern as Lucasfilm's greatest achievement.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Patrick Stewart as Captain Ahab. The worst cinematography and special effects of any recent movie I've seen. It makes the 1953 version '20,000 leagues Under the Sea' look as good and modern as Lucasfilm's greatest achievement.

Well..... ya get what ya pay for these days. :huh:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

I haven't seen any re-make of a classic that was even a shadow of the original. No one but Gregory Peck will EVER be Ahab!

Bo

And....

Don't forget they were actually killing real whales, and using real ships and whalers (Norwegian, as I remember, as they were still harvesting whales at that time). Not much special effects, and no CGI available. Gregory Peck is the only truly believable Ahab.....

>>>>> Cascabel

Ahoy Cascabel ye ol' sea dog!

I also urge those who haven't already done so to read Two Years Before The Mast for the actual account that inspired Moby Dick.

Bo

Ahoy back to ye, Bo...

Hope all is well in your world !!

>>>>> Cascabel

I am sure you are correct that the story of the Essex is the source, but I was ALMOST certain that it came from the book I mentioned, but admit I may have my stories crossed. I have been reading too much lately and it is entirely possible that I have my authors screwed up. Gotta go lookin through the books now! I thought Dana was on the Essex when that took place.

Bo

Dana didn't serve aboard a whaler, if I recall correctly, Bo.

I get confused with things I read and hear, too: I mentioned the other day that I thought I remembered Gordon Lightfoot's song about the Edmund Fitzgerald from 1974: but the vessel didn't sink till 1975.

We just have a lot going on in our old heads! :rolleyes:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye that's for sure! B) Thanx for keepin' me sraight, as I have found the source of my confusion. I ordered Dana's book and got the hardcover, acid free paper, well the high quality one. As a bonus they also sent a paperback book called Sea Anthology, a collection of short stories and the story of the Essex was in THAT book, not Dana's. Geez! And they say it only gets worse the older we get! :lol:

Any way, both are good reading, but I was definately off my rocker on this one!

Bo

Me thinks perhaps I need to read the actual book. I will admit when I saw Patrick Stewart's version I was indeed disappointed. I enjoy him as an actor and felt that he was not right for the part. I do not recall finishing the movie.

Can some one please tell me if the book is actually good to read. I have always felt bad for the whale and not so much for Ahab.

I will admit that there is a certain genre of books I find difficult to read or enjoy. As an example, Jack London.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

I read it many years ago: it's slow reading.

As I recall, it had more about whaling, than about "The Great White Whale". :lol:

You will learn MUCH about whaling from reading the book.

Whaling always interested me. But if it doesn't interest you, I wouldn't recommend reading the book.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Thank you dear sir for your honesty. I will give the matter much thought, for although I enjoy learning about whales and other marine life, I am not sure if I have an interest in whaling. Thank you once again. I will let you know if I decide to try reading the book, or perhaps I will pass on it and find something better to my liking.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.