Perfume

Rats

The movie is called: Perfume "The Story Of A Murderer"

Now before you say anything...

1.) Take a look at the trailers

2.) Check out the wardrobe

3.) Check out the excellent locations

Did I mention Alan Rickman, Dustin Hoffman and Rachel Hurd-Wood???

http://www.perfumemovie.com/

Bottom line... Just go rent it and watch it yourself! Because with all due honesty, I really liked this film and I wouldn't ask someone to spend good money for nothing!

Well worth the rental!!!

:lol:

BTW: I love a good sleeper that slipped past the critics!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

This is a wonderful book. I remember reading it back in the '80s.

The book, "Perfume" (Patrick Suskind) is a great mix of history, mystery and horror.

The main character - Jean-Baptiste Grenouille discovers his unique ability to isolate smells even though he has none of his own.

I wonder how it compares to the book? Well, if you say you liked it Rats it is worth renting.

Cheeky

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I just tried to rent this at Blockbuster the other day, but they were all out, so I guess a lot of people either like it, or are curious. I'm an Alan Rickman fan, so I'd watch it just for that reason, but what caught my eye was the costumes they wore on the cover = "Oooh, goody, a costume movie I haven't seen yet." Well, I still haven't seen it, but I will soon. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• 3 weeks later...

My beau happened to have rented this one this week. All though I must say the costumes are fantastic the scenary is fantastic..true to how horrible and wretched life was back in those days..the movie is too horrifying to me. I had to stop watching it at the point where he goes after the rich girl in the end. Very troubling scenes...reminds me of an earlier century's Silence of the Lambs. I got so ticked at him for renting such a gruesome flick, but to others who can deal with this genre probably will like it.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

My husband and I watched it, and both came to the same conclusion. The movie was different, and I understood what the main character was trying, in his grewsome way, to do, but the ending was a cop out. It was as if the author (I haven't read the book) or screen writer got to the end, couldn't figure out what to do with this character, and came up with a last-ditch effort. Very lame.

Also thought Dustan Hoffman's portrayal of an Italian was a joke. He sounded more like his Captain Hook character, other than yelling Basta every now and then. Alan Rickman, as always, very good!

So,

Costumes and feel for the period = A

Main character, disturbed as he was = A-

Alan Rickman = A

Dustan Hoffman = F

Movie Ending = F-

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

See I never got to that final part of the movie. In some ways I was simply watching costumes and scenery.... It got worse though???

See I don't mind some suspense and even "some" macabre... But if it became too over the top....???

Hell, I still have to see the end, or else it will bother me that I didn't!!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Actually, the orgy part was kinda funny, especially when they all came to their senses and were appalled to see who they had just done "it" with. :o

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Now you all have me curious in deed. I will have to rent this as soon as possible. I adore Alan Rickman and have never been disappointed in the roles he has chosen.

Die Hard

Quigly Down Under

RobinHood Prince of Thieves

Dogma

Harry Potter movies

Truly Madly Deeply

Just to name a few of his movies

As for Dustan Hoffman....well he is okay...but I am not a particular fan of his.

I will definitely find this movie since you all have peaked the curiostiy of the Calico Kitty.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

My husband and I watched it, and both came to the same conclusion. The movie was different, and I understood what the main character was trying, in his grewsome way, to do, but the ending was a cop out. It was as if the author (I haven't read the book) or screen writer got to the end, couldn't figure out what to do with this character, and came up with a last-ditch effort. Very lame.

Also thought Dustan Hoffman's portrayal of an Italian was a joke. He sounded more like his Captain Hook character, other than yelling Basta every now and then. Alan Rickman, as always, very good!

So,

Costumes and feel for the period = A

Main character, disturbed as he was = A-

Alan Rickman = A

Dustan Hoffman = F

Movie Ending = F-

Aye, for the most part I would have to agree with Ransom. Although I would give Dustan Hoffman at least a C for effort.

I am still undecided if I liked the movie or not. It was very dark indeed. And the ending...well, left a lot to be desired. As a result I was disappointed in how it ended. I did not like that his daughter was finally murdered....or the fact of the complete ending.

The orgy was strange, what was the screen writer and director thinking???

The costume and setting was fantastic. And I will say that the narration by William Hurt was very well done.

As for my husband, Dorian, his only comment was the movie was F'd up.

I would recommend it for the costume and settings. Alan Rickman as always was superb. And Ben Whishaw was very excellent in his portrayl.

But the overall movie....welll.....mmmm.....strange indeed.

So, the Calico Kitty....satisfied her curiosity.

And later today, I will be going back to drop off the movie and hopefully pick up the Libertine. Both Dorian and I have been wanting to see it. I will let you all know what we think of it. Has any one see it by chance?

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

The movie follows the book fairly well and it was a strange book. I was wondering if they were going to put certain scenes in the movie and they did - such as the aforementioned orgy.

Saw the Libertine awhile back. If you liked the costumes in Perfume, you'll LOVE them in the Libertine. I found Johnny Depp's character a bit dark and disturbing, but that's the point.

RHJMap.jpg

OOps....my bad...sorry.....it was John Hurt

I have the DVD Libertine, and like the movie very much. However, I have to be in the right (?) frame of mind to watch it, as it is quite dark, especially toward the end. JD is grand, and it is a very different part to those he usually plays.

Another movie that is very good, but difficult to watch in certain parts is Pan's Labyrinth. It's a Spanish movie with English subtitles, but it's so good that didn't bother me at all. The time period for that one is 1944 Spain.

Maybe we need a "Random Movie Review" thread? :D

:D = The preview trailers were the best part of the movie.

:D:D = Maybe worth watching after DVD comes out on a 7-day rental.

:D:D:D = Buy DVD if you can get it under $10

:D:D:D:D = See it at the theatre on a half-price day. Buy DVD if you can get it under $20

:D:D:D:D:D = Great Movie. See it at the theater two times, and buy DVD at any cost.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Maybe we need a "Random Movie Review" thread? :D

Thanks Jill and Ransom for letting me know about about the Libertine. And thanks too for letting me know about Pans Labyrinth. I will see if I can rent both of them now. Maybe for this weekend.

And that is a very good idea Ransom about movie reviews.

Aye Ransom. Pan's Labyrinth is excellent. A must see.

I would rate is as:

:D:D:D:D (if you're on a budget)

and

:D:D:D:D:D (if cost is of no concern to you).

Either way, this film is beautiful, even though on the dark side. Simply gorgeous.

MaeveBanner_justbarber.jpg

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending"

- Maria Robinson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Aye, Patrick, dear, Perfume is out on video/dvd. I highly recommend it if you enjoy dark stories. Let me know what you think once you have seen it.

I have Pan's Labyrinth and Libertine on DVD, but I don't think I would buy Perfume. It's just too depressing and the ending too strange and kinda...well, lame.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

Aye, the ending was strange....and kind of lame too. I wish they had gone in to more depth over the psychology of his mind. They could have made it a truly suspenseful movie then. However, I did like the movie. I still haven't figured out why, but I did.