Thoughts on Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins

Christine

I heard this news on Friday night while still down in San Diego for the Comic Con. Johnny Depp will be Barnabas Collins for a new Dark Shadows movie. It just seems so bizarre, but yet interesting too. Johnny is a great actor and I'm sure he can pull it off. It definitely will be the talk of the DS festival coming up in August I'm attending in New York. Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas from the 60's series, is finally making an appearance after many years. I can't wait to attend this event, it's going to be a lot of fun! :(

Anyway, here's the article about all this:

Johnny Depp is getting in touch with his inner vampire.

Warner Bros. is teaming with Depp's Infinitum-Nihil and Graham King's GK Films to develop a feature based on the '60s daytime supernatural sudser "Dark Shadows."

Depp has said in interviews that he has always been obsessed with "Dark Shadows" and had, as a child, wanted to be Barnabas Collins, the vampire patriarch of the series. The role was originated by Jonathan Frid.

A rights deal just closed with the estate of Dan Curtis, the producer/director who created the soap that aired weekdays on ABC, from 1966 to 1971. Depp and King will produce with David Kennedy, who ran Dan Curtis Prods. until Curtis died last year of a brain tumor. Infinitum-Nihil's Christi Dembrowski served as the point person on the deal.

Over 1, 225 episodes, "Dark Shadows" was a highly atmospheric, spooky soap that featured gothic horror staples like vampires, monsters, witches, werewolves, ghosts and zombies. The show has a continuing rabid fan base that populates Dark Shadows Festival conventions. Numerous TV revivals of the series and pic adaptations have been attempted over the years but none with as high-wattage a star as Depp.

Depp, who is coming off "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and who just wrapped the Tim Burton-directed "Sweeney Todd, " is next expected to star in "Shantaram, " a Mira Nair-directed adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts novel that Depp, King and Plan B are producing for Warner Bros. Depp, King and WB are also mobilizing to make a film about the life of Alexander Litvinenko, with Depp poised to play the former KGB agent, who was fatally poisoned.

Here is the link:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796924...+++Dark+Shadows

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

That's cool news about Mr Frid. As for Depp... I dunno. He has range, that's for sure. But shouldn't he share the wealth when it comes to cool roles? B)

It has been close to 40 or so years, and I am finally willing to admit that my sister was right when we had those fights over what we were going to watch, Dark Shadows or the Flintstones.

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Ha ha ha, I remember that title from the 60's people raved about it, but as a kid, I never watched soaps, but I remember seeing it on in other people's homes, so I remember that character. Johnny would be great, he has a wide range. This morning I saw the very tail end of the 9th Gate and the other day Sleepy Hollow was on, so he can do dark films very very very well.

Christine check this out...

Frid Anniversary

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Christine check this out...

Frid Anniversary

Oh, yeah, that's the festival I'm attending in about 2 weeks from now. I'm really looking forward to this, it'll be a lot of fun! Meeting Jonathan Frid is going to be awesome! We're doing that special banquet dinner on Saturday where he'll be there to meet fans. He's the only one from the show, still living that is, that I haven't met.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, speaking of Barnabas Collins and Dark Shadows, I'm heading up to LA tomorrow and then flying out of Burbank airport on Thursday. My guyfriend and I are flying out to New York for the Dark Shadows festival. I'm really looking forward to meeting the original Barnabas Collins actor, Jonathan Frid. It's going to be such a fun trip, woo-hoo! :ph34r:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as someone old enought to have been a fan from the first and original airings of Dark Shadows (And running home from high school to do it...)

I think Depp will be a quirky and masterful Branabus!

More power to him!

Now lets see..... who for Angelique and Josette??? :wub:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Mmmm, Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins.....Wow! I can see it. He will fit the part well since he has always taken unusual roles. I am going to be truly looking forward to this movie.

I have a set of video tapes from the original series. And I enjoyed the remake series on T.V.

A Vampire Johnny Depp, OhhhLaLa.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

Deep will do well but I agree ...share the roles lad! :lol:

Black John, Ciarán Hinds WOULD be great!

I'm thinking of Quintin! mmmm, he was the heart throb!

I remember my eldest sister running home to watch Dark Shadows ...I confess, i didn't mind but I would have been happy with the Flintsotones too.

Though thinking about it, there is someone much more suited for the role. I think he'd be perfect.

Couldn't agree more.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Hmm, sorry, still gonna hang on to the idea of Johnny. I have been racking me brain for another face that could play the part, but haven't quite decided on any one else so far.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

The Dark Shadows Festival in New York was totally awesome! Meeting Jonathan Frid was such a delight! Of course the subject of the new movie and Johnny Depp came up quite often. Both Kathryn Leigh Scott (Josette) and Lara Parker (Angelique) had said more than once they think having Johnny as Barnabas is an awesome idea. Jonathan on the other hand did not even know who Johnny Depp is. I thought he had to be kidding. I know he's 82 and a bit of a recluse, but come on! I spoke with his nephew about it and he said he steers clear from the Hollywood scene, so I dunno, maybe it could be true....but weird-lol! As to who would play the other characters, Charlieze Theron was brought up more than once to play Angelique. Even Lara admitted that could work and she said she could see that. Kathryn couldn't think of anyone who'd be a good Josette. Someone young, beautiful and with dark hair. Anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, a friend of mine, along with his other friends, who are all part of the Collinsport Players, put on a skit called The Golden Girls Meet Dark Shadows. They had a part where Willie Loomis brings in a new portrait of Barnabas and asks Barnabas what he thinks of it. This is the portrait they used:

l_36124f658869056f8f1895a73507ff76.jpg

LOL!!!!! :lol:

Another highlight besides Jonathan was getting the replica of the Josette music box as a gift. I'm so happy about this, it's something I've wanted for a long time.

Yeah, it was great weekend! A good time was indeed had by all! :lol:

christinebarbossagy7.jpg