Camp cooking stove

what you might want to consider is a brazier that uses charcoal (not the match-light kind)it's enough heat to boil water of cook a meal they make them in singleburner sized of double burner sized ranging fro aroud $60 to $150 some fold flat and come packaged in wooden boxes(fort augusta woodworking in selinsgrove, pa) ...great when you can't build a fire or on rainy days under a fly

br-250.jpg

When we did the event at Saint Mary's City we weren't allowed to dig a fire pit due to the archaeologically sensitive nature of the site. It wasn't a big deal since we didn't need a fire, but the site lent us the use of their hearth, which was a brilliant design mimicking a ship's hearth. If you can, envision a wooden base, covered with sand, with bricks on top of the sand forming a surface on which to place your firewood. Very cool looking, very period looking, and probably dirt cheap to make, if not a little on the heavy side.

Whether I caught it in any of my photos from the event I'm not sure. If you are interested, I'll dig through them and see what turns up.

Callenish... cool font you've got there!!!

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

if you want to do it on the real cheap you can lay down a 4x4 square of canvas with broiler foil over it and then put down 4-5 inches of sand over it mixed with vermiculite(mica) use charcoal and it won't burn the layer of grass below when you're finished lift the canvas and keep the sand and ash on the inside i usually dispose of the sand in an area that won't be affected by the resulting ash/sand mix

Well us 'cheaters' out there use those nifty transportable metal drums that have been cut down, put it over some bricks to keep it off the ground, fill with wood/charcoal and bingo - fire pit.

Course in the group I belong to we have a guy with one of those nice fire pit things you sit around, just put a flat grill over the thing instead of the domed mesh screen and it works great. Target even has one that folds up into it's own carry bag.

Ahoy Jill, Jas. Townsend sells one like Callenish Gunner posted.

I've seen these at Cost Plus and Sporting Goods stores:

IBBQ.jpg

If you're not looking anything fancy, just something to cook on with wood/charcoal, you could try the good ol' Hibachi! :lol:

hibachi.jpg

Sig.jpg