The term "alewife"

Matusalem

Somebody I was talking to today mentioned the Boston Subway system, and all I kept thinking was the name of a stop on the Red Line past Harvard Square. The word "Alewife" sounds so medieval or middle ages. Any history of this would be appreciated.

SHIP2-1.jpg

That's because the words conjoined are older than the medieval period! :ph34r:

Now, etymology isn't my strongest discipline, so bear with me.

"Ale" is derived from the Old English ealu, which is in turn derived from the Proto-Germanic aluth, Old Saxon alo, and Old Norse öl. Tangentially, these words may derive from a Proto-Indo-European word meaning bitter (i.e., alum), or from PIE alu-t, "ale", from base *alu-, a word with connotations of "sorcery, magic, possession, intoxication."

Any modern - meaning post-C17 - word you find with "ale" in it was at some point used in the brewing of ale. The herb alehoof, for example, was used as a bittering herb before the advent of widespread hops use. A bride-ale refers to what we might call the reception after the wedding, whereat copious quantities of ale were consumed ('tis a consummation devoutly to be wished!). It's a damn shame in my book that "bride-ale" parties drink champagne. :ph34r:

Alewife, specifically, is an Old English word referring to a female alehouse-keepers. (Note: Johnson makes a very acute distinction between an alehouse and a tavern; taverns sell wine and beer/ale, and alehouses sell no wine.)

According to one of my sources[1], when America was colonized in C17 (~1633), the term passed to a herring-like fish (Alosa pseudoharengus)[2], due to the fish's distinctive distended abdomen. One refuses to comment as to the commonality of distended abdomens amongst female alehouse-keepers. :ph34r: According to another, alewife is derived from the aboriginal American word aloof, "fish."

I'm going to go out on a limb here historiographically, but I'm going to speculate. I think it probable that the train station has more to do with the fish than the woman. The herring/shad trade was huge in C17 New England. Moreover, the term alewife was out of vogue for referring to a person. Have a glance at all of the "Brewster"s in the telephone directory; "brewster" is the female version of "brewer."

Should you wish a further tangent regarding the differences, modern and historical, between ale and beer, you have only to ask. For the nonce, I think I've bored you enough.

P.S. Most of the above is from the OED, except for:

[1] http://www.etymonline.com

[2] http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/A/Alosa_pseu...udoharengus.asp

Stand and deliver!

Robert Fairfax, Freelance Rapscallion

Highwaymen.gif

Alewife, specifically, is an Old English word referring to a female alehouse-keepers.  (Note: Johnson makes a very acute distinction between an alehouse and a tavern; taverns sell wine and[/i] beer/ale, and alehouses sell no wine.)

According to one of my sources (etymology.com), when America was colonized in C17 (~1633), the term passed to a herring-like fish (Alosa pseudoharengus), due to the fish's distinctive distended abdomen.  One refuses to comment as to the commonality of distended abdomens amongst female alehouse-keepers.  ;) According to another, alewife is derived from the aboriginal American word aloof, "fish."

In reference to Alewife Station on the Red Line, the name comes from the aforementioned fish. There are now some displays on the platform with depictions of the fish, and an explanation that their presence gave the name to the nearby Alewife Brook.

If you want to encounter (or become) the humanoid kind of alewife, then you have to join me for the Boston Historic Pub Crawl. :huh:

I hate the short replies that add nothing....

But

Wow... cool info!

Thanks for the info Tightpants and the pictures Kass!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Dear Captain Tightpants. I would sincerely like to thank you for the information you have provided. I am very interested in etymology, especially the sources of names. However, I enjoy learning about the origins of words and there uses as well.

Thank you for such an interesting read. It was greatly appreciated.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme

BriarBannerHerbsGlowGreenBorder.jpg

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.

The Dimension of Time is only a doorway to open. A Time Traveler I am and a Lover of Delights whatever they may be.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.

If you want to encounter (or become) the humanoid kind of alewife, then you have to join me for the Boston Historic Pub Crawl. :ph34r:

SILKIE:

When?

And KASS:

That would be awesome!

The Boston Historic Pub Crawl happens every Tuesday at 5:30pm and meets outside Fanueil Hall. You can follow a link from my personal website to a news article about the Pub Crawl...just go to the Production Photos page.

Though further discussion of this might not really be Captain Twill material, feel free to PM me for more information.

Dear Captain Tightpants. I would sincerely like to thank you for the information you have provided. I am very interested in etymology, especially the sources of names. However, I enjoy learning about the origins of words and there uses as well.

Thank you for such an interesting read. It was greatly appreciated.

Tá failte romhat! I live but to serve. :o

Well, not really serve. per se. But it's nice to be thanked! It's especially nice to be thanked for doing something you love to do. :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed it!

Stand and deliver!

Robert Fairfax, Freelance Rapscallion

Highwaymen.gif

• 2 weeks later...
It must be a hardy fish. They still survive in Lake Michigan. :(

Capt. William

Sort of. They have a tendency to die off in the spring and coat the shores with dead fish all summer.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum