that we let them down...I sure as hell have no intention of spending my

Army career being known as the idiot who couldn't stand a little light

breeze and shirked his duty." .... Then he said something in response to a

female reporters question regarding silly purposeless personal risk...."I

wouldn't expect you to understand, it's an enlisted man's thing."

God Bless the rascal...In a time in our nation's history when spin seems

to have become the accepted coin-of-the-realm, there beat hearts...the

enlisted hearts we all knew and were so damn proud to be a part of...that

fully understand that devotion to duty is not a part time occupation.

While we slept, we were represented by some damn fine men who fully

understood their post orders and proudly went about their assigned

responsibilities unseen, unrecognized and in the finest tradition of the

American Enlisted Man. Folks, there's hope.... The gene that George S.

Patton...Arliegh Burke and Jimmy Doolittle left us...survives. Now, go

have another cup to pop rivet your eyelids I've got to go to work. DN

From a subvet friend in our nation's capital

...More.... Nina Swink adds.....

On the ABC evening news, it was reported tonight that, because of the

dangers from Hurricane Isabel approaching Washington DC, the military

members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were

given permission to suspend the assignment. They refused. "No way, Sir!"

Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they

said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment; it was the highest

honor that can be afforded to a service person. The tomb has been

patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930. Addition to this e: I saw an

interview on Fox News Channel with the Commander of the soldiers who guard

the Tomb of the unknown. He took the shift when Isabel was unleashing her

fury, cause he did not want to ask any of his men to do this - he felt it

was his highest honor to be on duty during that time. Very, very proud of

our persons in uniform!!!!!! I don't usually suggest that e-mails be

forwarded, but I'd be DAMN proud if this one reached as many as possible.

:ph34r:

Black Jack

victors%20spoils.jpg

YER ANKLES WILL LOOK LOVELY BEHIND YER EARS LASSIE! HAR! HAR! HAR!

Ya know, I too was one of the ones who used to believe that when the people left the guards left too. Things like: duty, honor, country, seemingly simple words to some people but truly a way of life for others. Just because you turned CNN off does not mean that the war has ended. It really is a day by day, hour by hour and second by second means of survival on the battlefield. Seeing the horrors what what true battle can mean, literally survival of those blessed to not be in the path of destruction.

Some of us have seen our brothers in arms lose their lives while we, standing right beside them sometimes, did not. In cases like this we might be lucky enough to see the highlights on CNN of the outcome of a particular action however for those there the seconds that seem like years just trying to stay alive. In the blink of an eye all could be lost or all could be gained. When you feel least secure you could be the one to take matters into your own hands to fix the situation and risk your life in an attempt to save the lives of your brothers in arms.

An piece to an old cadence, "tell my mom I did my best," is truly a statement that only a brother in arms can really understand and pass on. While this time I was not called to go the this war I have seen the horrors on the battlefield before and would have willingly gone had I been asked. I would have executed without fail and without remorse.

Do I want to die? Hell no! Am I going to charge down a machine gun knowing that I might die, maybe. It really depends on the situation at the time and the known facts. Well facts is not the right word. There are not facts during a battle. There are only theorys based on less than all the facts. You really do have to shoot from the hip and react to the situation.

Why do I still do this job? I mean I am a little older. I am a little wiser. I have a 5 year old daughter who thinks I am all of her world. I have girlfriend in South America who would never see me again if I died in a faraway land nor would she ever really understand why it had happened. No one really would understand why, save for those who have been there.

All of the military honors. The parades. The guard duty. Everything a peace time military does as well as a military does away from the actual battlefield, these things seem pretty far fetched from actual combat. I know anyone who has ever served has done a little now and again to get out of such things, myself included however that truly is the greatest sin of brothers in arms. By trying to skate out of these duties we are really saying that the people who have given their lives for my freedom died in vain. That they died for nothing. That we don't care what the gave up for me and you to be free.

That's what keeps me going each and every day. That's why I would go without hesitation to a place where I might lose my life be among the tomb of unknowns.

For those of you out there who share a different view of war and brothers in arms defending brothers in arms. Doing what we want just to be able to tell our grandkids and great grandkids things we have done. So be it. You are welcome to have that freedom that has been given to you from those like me on active duty. Those who were serving in the reserves who never thought they would ge tth call but still did. Those that have retired and served previously. Those that paid the price of war and received a nice little coffin to spend all of eternity with their loved ones coming to visit and asking why.

Lastly those who truly paid the ultimate price and gave up everything. Their life. Their name. Their hopes and dreams that will never be as the country does not know who they are only that they have fallen on the fields of battle giving everyone in this country the right of freedom.

Thanks Black Jack for letting me remember why I do this job day in and day out.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

I was a Boy Scout once....Does that count?

:ph34r: Nasty K.

I was a Boy Scout too. So what's yer point kid? If you're by some chance tryin' to make some fun outta our statements , I suggest ya watch some old Richard Pryor tapes for ideas. Cause actually kid, you sound rather......stupid.

:ph34r: -Black Jack

victors%20spoils.jpg

Gentlemen....I listen to these words.....and am again...glad I found this place.....Duty,Honor,Respect...a way to live your life..Military or not...the men you speak of and yourselfs are still brothers.....

I am not an old man yet...but something was said that stirred a memory of my father...he has been gone for some time but one of the things I remeber about him...was somethig I didn't know till after he died....

I am reading the original paperwork for a Bronze Star my dad recieved in WW2....yes ..he faced down a Machine gun nest....SS officer in charge and captured it...he had several replacement troops with him that he was taking back to his unit...they had never seen any action so he basically did it by himself.... I am not telling you this to talk about how great my dad was...but to tell you that in all the years that I knew him before he died..he never spoke once of it....Not a word....I only found out when I was going through his papers...After talking to mom about it she told me that he felt it was his duty...and an honor to be able to do it....and gained a respect from me that I had never given him in life...

he was 5th Army...in France and Germany

Just something I felt like sharing....

darkRose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

I am honored to share such a forum with those who have, and still do, serve this country. I truly was awakened from my naive look of the world when I was a freshman in college. Though you might think college breeds liberal minded individuals, I, never being one to be part of a flock, spent much of my time down at The Wall. There I met a woman who would change my life forever, and how I look at it. Her name was JoAnn Sullivan, she was a freelance journalist and photographer. Through her, I volunteered and learned from Vets and those who visited, what war truly was, what it meant to serve and love this country. I was blessed to even meet a Gold Star mother, who had come to visit her son's name on The Wall, and more flattered, when she asked me to the rubbing. It was, also, during this time, I learned, my cousin was M.I.A. from Vietnam. His C-130 went down, Dec. 29, 1967, before I was born, and being 3000 miles away from family, it wasn't brought up until then. I was lucky enough to find his bracelet, and I wore it for years. Even to this day, he still travels with me when I go out on assignments for my work. JoAnn and I lost touch over the years, and my best friend, who I was dating at the time, joined the Air Force. He and I still talk, simply because, I was the only one he knew growning up, who understood why he choose that life.

Oh, and if you are wondering, Col. Donald E. Fisher was returned to us a few years ago. I love you cousin, and thank you for your duty and sacrifice.

darkRose...your warm words filled the heart with remembering, and gratitude....thank you.

Black Jack, El Pirata, and my good friend Scupper.....is thank you even enough?

Edited by RyannMacGregor

Captain of The Morrighan.

As a veteran, I was touched by this story and the Solidiers dedication. I saw it once before during the Blizzard of 78 when they had paced there post during the storm and at the end you could just see the tops of their rifles as they continued their vigil. I had forgotten that. As always as the holidays draw near, I think of my fellow sailors and the men and women of the other services serving in harm's way. I wish and hope for the eventual peace that will allow them all to come home safe and sound.

Kevin Scupper Burke

US NAVY 1979 to 1985

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

lol aaa the military. Some of you can same my family is the military. Lets see ill start of with the air force

Brother - Air man first class -6years( more to come)

Father- Air man first class -6 years

Grandfather 1- 1st LT (more to come)

Grandfather 2

lol proabbly more

Army

Cousin- Captin / Tank commander ( most lickly going to Iraq)

Other Cousin- going to officers school.

Lol i hav ebeen raised on military game and on the military I fully respect our men and arms and know they bring great honor to our nation and thier familys. They put their lifes on the line for us and we should support them in any way possibly. And Fox news/ CNN never goes off here.

Just for the recorde i'm going into either the Marines (sniper if i an) or Army hopeign to go to West Point lol since my cousin went.

As a veteran, I was touched by this story and the Solidiers dedication. I saw it once before during the Blizzard of 78 when they had paced there post during the storm and at the end you could just see the tops of their rifles as they continued their vigil. I had forgotten that. As always as the holidays draw near, I think of my fellow sailors and the men and women of the other services serving in harm's way. I wish and hope for the eventual peace that will allow them all to come home safe and sound.

Kevin Scupper Burke

US NAVY 1979 to 1985

Scupper,

If you wanna see somethun' that puts yer jaw on the ground , you must see the USMC color guard go thru thar silent drill. AMAZING!

-Black Jack :lol:

victors%20spoils.jpg

Agreed, Gentlemen! And hats off to the men and women who leave their loved ones to do their duty.

Whether we agree with the politics or not, we could all agree that for those who are gone from their homes now are worthy of our respect and yes love.

My father was in the Battle of the Bulge in Belgium WWII. He was the youngest of 7 children, mostly sons. He got to meet one of his brothers for a short time over there. Because of the death of the Sullivan brothers (All 5 died in a ship bombing at one time ) brothers were not supposed to meet at all. He and his brothers made it out okay and later all died before age 60 except my dad.

His biggest thrill these days is to look at his war and Army books, and see the comrades who bacame family for a while.

Thanks..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I daily light a candle of hope for all those protecting us in whatever capacity.

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,

who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN,

who salutes the Flag,

who serves under the Flag,

ETERNAL REST GRANT THEM O LORD,

AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT

SHINE UPON THEM.

victors%20spoils.jpg

Aye I have at the marine barracks in DC. I have alot of marine friends as well as a nephew in the Corps. I was very VERY moved.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."