Need some advice

... and wants nothing.

My stepdad is going to be 80 next month. If you saw him, you'd think he was in his 60's, but in terrific shape. (He plays handball with guys 50 years younger than him and while they are recovering in the jacuzzi, he's in the weight room. And he rides his bike to and from the health club.) He doesn't do the usual "dad" things that you see on Father's Day cards, like playing golf, or grilling or fishing, although he is a sports fan.

So I'm looking to be a bit creative with a gift for this big birthday.

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions?

RHJMap.jpg

I suggest you check out this page. For the guy who has everything. (Hey, I'd take one.) [Note: this is in no way an endorsement for Gary's site. In fact, I didn't know Gary even had a site before I Googled this. Nobody tells me anything.]

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Actually, my folks are like that. I usually try and do stuff with them that they like or find some odd thing that they can get on a regular basis. I got them into a wine club a few years ago and they loved that. If he exercises a lot he might like books on tape. I'm signed up for Simply Audiobooks which is like Netflix for audio books. (Only they are slower than Netflix to deliver because the don't have as many shipping points. You take the good with the bad, I guess.) We once took my folks wedding pics and had them airbrushed in color. (This only works if the original photos are in b/w of course.)

"Am I not?"

Yeah, I've thought of the gift of an experience. Thing is, it's tough to figure out something fitting. My mum is visiting me for lunch today, so we'll need to strategize.

And he and my mum married in the early 80's, so the pics are in colour.

RHJMap.jpg

Beer of the month is neat for people willing to try new things. Wine of the month is a nice couples gift. My dad got my mom this bouquet of month program - obviously most appropriate for women. (The "x of the month" people know a good thing when they see it.)

You know what a great gift for someone would be? A Paypal gift card. It makes far more sense to me than a brick-and-mortar store gift card.

"Am I not?"

Or- four 20 something wenches.

-Aedon

Me mum named me Aedon.

Me mates call me Lucky.

Me enemies call me a bastard.

And anyone in a position of authority calls me

"that lucky bastard Aedon."

How about a tie? Lol just kidding :unsure:

Having known many youthful minded people in their 80's and 90's I would say the one thing they subscribe to is that yes..at this point in life they have attained most of what they might ever need or want. Think about it, after a lengthy career do you care anymore if you have a neat name tag or a plaque on your desk? ^_^

But the experiences are what you hopefully relish. The stories you get to tell and the sense of accomplishment.

As long as he's not uncomfortable about his age since he lives so youthfully, I would think something on the lines of either an item that he would have cherished in his youth, found at an (dare I say it?) antique shop and presented creatively along with a cool modern gift like the beer of the month etc is great because it all ties together.

Or a scrapbook of sorts with newspaper clips maybe a few magazine ads a travel label or two, a few old snaps over the years, things he would love to reminice over or maybe be surprised he had forgotten about. People always cherish their lives and accomplishments and it would be a huge conversation piece. You might learn a lot in putting it together and have some great questions that would reveal some stories you'd never heard. If more than one family member worked on it he couldn't help but be honored.

Or...you could get him a tie... :huh:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Along the same lines as what Red Cat Jenny suggests, my sisters once took a photo of my dad in the Coast Guard and had it professionally framed along with a patch from the CG and his discharge papers. He really liked that.

I once had a conversation with a lovely old Cajun woman in Franklin, LA. She was a friend of one of the guys I was working with down there on a job. She was an artist (pencil and painting) and a writer. She was writing a collection of memoirs based on stories that her Cajun grandfather had told her to be published locally. It was such a wonderful experience that I scheduled to spend the weekend in Franklin so I could go back and talk with her some more (among other curious, southern Louisiana things I did that weekend.)

"Am I not?"

Thanks fer the nod Caraccioli..and wonderful ideas!

hmm Southern Louisiana..

I once had a friend tell me you can find any kind of trouble you are looking for in Louisiana..having been in the South..I am inclined to believe him.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...