Here's that book list I promised(or at least a st.

Here's at least a partial start on the booklist I promised Ye All.

(Will Probably have to post this in multiple parts)

Jack of All Trade(Anything that comes to a pyrate's mind)

Magazine-The BackWoodsman

Available at most large bookstores or subscription info at www.backwoodsmanmag.com

This magazine has just about everything(consider it a modern version of Popular Science/Mechanics for pyrates). Leatherworking, Muzzleloading(at least one article an issue), History, scrimshanding, backwoods lore, hunting, even how to make your own swivel guns. The editor of the magazine, Charlie Ritchie, has even done pyrate related articles on Jean Lefitte, screw-barrel pistols, a general pyrate weapons article(where no quarter given was mentioned), even an article on hand grenades/smoke pots.

Of interest to pyrates: At least one muzzleloading article an issue, articles on making muzzleloaders and accoutrements, 16-18th century history(Either pick up an issue or most Muzzleloading supplier sell the digest version of Best of Backwoodsman).

Leather-working

Magazine-Leathercrafters and Saddlers Journal

Available at www.leathercraftersjournal.com

This magazine is the best $32 bucks you can spend if you want to get into leatherworking. Between their bi-monthly issues and back issue/reprints list, if you can't find the project you want, or something to do, it don't exist.

Of interest to pyrates: articles on Rennisance sword belts, Articulated arm guards, scabbards, knife sheaths, holsters, belt pouches, plus in the last year, several articles on sailor knots and turks-heads by Robert Black of Marlin Spike Knotworks(also advertises a companion dvd). Also a good source for leather-supplies.

Books-Yeahaa! and The Book of leatherworking by Brazos Jack McKain aka Jim Simmons

Available only through Hidecrafter Leather www.hidecrafter.com

Most leathercraft books are 10% assembly/pattern making, 70% carving, and 20% showing tools a beginner can only dream of. These two books actually show how to properly set up your pattern, so everything is right before you cut leather. The first one is mostly on cowboy gunleather, but the techniques cover just about anything, plus he shows how to do things with only a minimum of tools(maybe 70-90 bucks worth or less if you shop around).

Of interest to pyrates:Written in a lanquage even a pyrate would understand. sheathmaking, holsters, 3 chapters devoted to bags and belt pouches.

As a bonus, here's a list of leather suppliers for you all.

-Hidecrafter leather-www.hidcrafter.com(general leathercraft supplies)

-Leather Unlimited-www.leatherunltd.com-Wholesaler for- Hidecrafter/Crazy Crow, but don't need a business license)

-Crazy Crow-www.crazycrow.com-sells stuff for Native American/Moutain man period, but most stuff will also work for 16th-18th century(also a good source for powder horns).

Hat-Making

Book-From the Neck Up-An illustrated guide to Hat-Making by Nancy Dreher

Available from Dixie Gunworks(www.dixiegunworks.com) or her website-www.hatbook.com

About one of the only general hatmaking books I've found(apparently used as a textbook in fashion design schools). Shows how to work with felt/straw, how to add trimmings, linings, even how to make your own hat blocks.

Of interest to pyrates:Has patterns for 17th-18th century Bi/Tri-cornes(probably could be used as a pattern for a jack sparrow hat). Also has a section on turbans for you marrooners.

And heres some places for Millinary Supplies

Hats By Leko-www.hatsupply.com(sells hat blanks with 6" brims)

Judith M-www.judithm.com-both sell general supplies

HatShapers-www.hatshapers.com-sells plastic hat blocks you can use to make your own hats, quarter of the price of a wooden one.

Well gang, here's a start(havin to head to work). I'll be posting some stuff on Scrimshanding/powderhorns, Braiding/whipmaking, and some on Building muzzleloaders(as soon as my brother finishes up his list).

Hope this helps some of ye--Wolf2hawks :lol: