What do you think of "What do you think" posts?

Not stirring the pot or nothing...

I always cringe at the "What do you think of my XYZ" posts (here and other places).

Now really, if you cared what we thought, shouldn't you have asked before you made the purchase (or made the item or ???)?

Its like the friend that, after dating someone for 6 months or more says to you...

"Hey, what do you think of my boyfriend Mark?" when they are already head over heels with that person.

The time to ask was 5 months and 3 weeks ago.

Now, if I tell you the truth and say, "well, I can't get past the fact that he treats you like dirt and is a self centered sob", I only alienate me from my friend.

So goes the, "Hey, what do you think of my new Pirate hat (for example)? and they post a picture of something like this....

black-felt-pirate-big.jpg

It makes me really wonder if they want honest opinions about their hat.

If they do, you gotta scroll past all the "Oh My God! That is the most wonderful hat I have ever seen" posts to put your two cents in that will turn you into the forums a-hole.

Just sayin....

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Sometimes I think people like to see their name attached to a new thread. Sometimes I think they just want to contribute something. Some people are just young and not thinking all that much about what they're posting. (I don't see that here as much as I used to see it on other forums I moderated.)

In the case of your pirate guy they may just want to post a picture of themselves - perhaps with some other motive in mind than just asking such an obvious question. ("You have to remember, in Britain, in the '60s, you could be a sex symbol and have bad teeth." -Mrs. Kensington)

It all comes down different people having different ideas about what a forum is for and why they participate. (I find it sort of interesting when friction results because two people see different purposes for a given forum. It's really a problem of definition.) So let me pose another question:

What is the purpose of a forum?

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

I've posted a couple of those, but I was actually looking for (and specifically requested) constructive criticism. I don't have that many people to ask opinion on nearby, apart from basic craftsmanship (if it don't break, it's at least built well).

At least, that was the case for the leather stuff. A couple of swords I posted just to show 'em off -- I like 'em.

A lot of that sort of post, though, seems more like people sharing a new acquisition with the others hereabouts...

sig2.jpg

I avoid most of them.

WRW

I am going with this for sure .,also it goes along with trying to up a persons post count for rank ? I see some of it as just meaningless chatter.

I would also say if they wondered what some people would think., perhaps if they had already read a few threads on clothing., weapons., ect.,ect., they would have an idea how to set up a kit.

Some of it perhaps is too make oneself feel better? Until someone comes along and gets honest ?

Honesty tends to hurt feelings.

I enjoy the Pub alot..., but I dont take it seriously..., how could I ? probably 90 + % of the post really are about nothing to do with the subject of Piracy or Pirates or piratical events.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

That's one of the good things about this forum - you don't have to read anything you don't want to. This seems to be a social forum more than anything else and people interact socially in many different ways.

I ignore those posts for the most part, but some folks do pick up some really great items of which I am extremely envious. And yes, some folks display occasional bad judgement when purchasing what they think to be piratical swag, but some gentle honesty is always the best policy. (Actually, the best policy is for them to post something and get a consensus BEFORE they purchase said item, but...)

RHJMap.jpg

And this is why lately I have not said much of anything. I usually just do the little word games. I've also realized it's pointless to say how I really feel in the "How do I feel now" section. I'm supposed to be this up-lifting, friendly, out-going person with no problems at all. So, I'll just continue doing what I've been doing, very little on here and keep things to myself.

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

And this is why lately I have not said much of anything. I usually just do the little word games. I've also realized it's pointless to say how I really feel in the "How do I feel now" section. I'm supposed to be this up-lifting, friendly, out-going person with no problems at all. So, I'll just continue doing what I've been doing, very little on here and keep things to myself.

Amen, Christine!

:::Gives Christine a hug:::

I, personally, do feel a little trashed by this. Apologies if I was bein' a pain in someone's side for posting m' nephew's costume in Rabble Rousing. He was curious about his outfit and wanted some words. Poor kid is only 13 yrs old.

Currently, I am having seriously rough times myself.

and by God, damnit... if not a single soul out there is sympathetic and empathetic... and only see a sobbin' soul and hurt spirit as something pathetic, then by God ye need to be lookin' at yerself better!

Now... if someone DOES ask what ye think... then by God, give yer bleedin' opinion! Good or bad! If ye can't comment on it cause you've no experience in that area, then that's understandable.

Ignorin' only makes it worse... really. :::Raises hand::: trust me on that issue!

And no... I'm NOT lookin' at puttin' m' name in lights! I tire of people having to point out shyte like that. Had a teacher who was that cocky.

Can't we accept people for who they are? And not what we would like them t' be?!?

Sometimes... sayin' something, whether good or bad, helps a person. Talk to people, give yer opinions or not, chatter with 'em, etc. Ya just may liven up their life for a day or more. And sometimes just keep 'em alive!

Harbourmaster... true, honesty tends to hurt... but not Feelings... it hurts someone's pride if they are unwilling to hear what others think.

Jill has a point I suppose. If you don't want to or can't give an opinion, then don't. But remember, that someone has asked for your opinion. And to ignore someone, it's rude.

I praise people when I can on their pirate attire. I, personally, may not wear it, but I am not them. Their outfit or how they feel is how they are. Deal with it! And offer them some comfort.

I'd could to ramble on and on about this... but I won't. I gave you my treasure's worth on this subject.

If I raise Hell and the wrath of others cause of it... then, so be it. But, damnit... I won't suffer nor will I let others suffer at the cost of someone's bashin'!

Now that I've said m' peace.

~Lady B

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Yep.

And of course that's why I'm not here much anymore either, aside from my little chats with Caraccioli. Too many judges, critics and self-appointed "Keepers of the Realm".

I enjoyed my Golden Period here, and I have good memories of it - now the neighborhood has changed and I've moved on.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

now the neighborhood has changed and I've moved on.

Seems the pub is gettin more quite these days...

I never post in the what do ye think catigories unless I'm ready to accept that some opinions may be not to my liking, but thats diversity and I can apprecciate that.

Nontheless we do have some cool folks that are still here and I respect them and this forum. I can only say that ifen some have a bad experience on the pub, I'm sorry to hear it. I got ripped once...so.... I got over it...I'm still here.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I guess that is my point with the "what do you think of" post in general.

Its hard to tell whether someone really wants constructive criticism. And, even if that person (the one asking) genuinely wants constructive criticism, there are other post readers that may feel offended by the remarks made as too harsh or what not.

And this post wasn't meant to ruffle feathers... but there are a vast array of ideas and interpretations of things in this forum.

We have over 4300 registered users, and probably well over 100 active at any time so, while our common thread is interest in pirates, there are always many different angles and approaches being made.

Lady Barbossa

This post was not targeting you personally. The irony of the the two post topics aside, I rarely venture into Rabble Rousing, so, this post was not intended as a jab at you...

I just read your post and seen the pic. It obviously doesn't fall into the category that this post was addressing because you asked for opinions, got some constructive remarks and took them for face value, and responded to that criticism well.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

And I thank ye for that, GoF.

It was my nephew who wanted to know, so what you and other stated he's reading. He wants to better his outfit not just for this year, but next year he's getting an all new outfit (he's barely fitting into this one!).

So any words are good words of advice. Unless someone starts cussing at th' poor lad's outfit. Then, I'll be puttin' m' foot down!

Again, what you stated was good advice and constructive criticism. Thank you.

~Lady B

:P

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Two things we must always keep in mind...

One. This is an open forum. What does this mean to you and me? It means that we're in the twenty-first century and everyone here has differences of opinion.

Two. If you ask for your opinion you WILL GET a mix of opinions. That is the interent folks. Anyone who takes themselves so seriously as to be offended while dressing up in 17th and 18th century clothing while utilizing a 21st century medium might need to unplug.

We are a silly, anachronistic lot. We are hobbyists of the most bloodthirsty trade in maritime history and we spend it online in forums fraught with SPAM and historical conjecture and yet we can still find time to be put off by what we perceive as elitism?

We are a silly, anachronistic lot, indeed. Now, let's all get drunk and burn something to the waterline.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Two things we must always keep in mind...

One. This is an open forum. What does this mean to you and me? It means that we're in the twenty-first century and everyone here has differences of opinion.

Two. If you ask for your opinion you WILL GET a mix of opinions. That is the interent folks. Anyone who takes themselves so seriously as to be offended while dressing up in 17th and 18th century clothing while utilizing a 21st century medium might need to unplug.

We are a silly, anachronistic lot. We are hobbyists of the most bloodthirsty trade in maritime history and we spend it online in forums fraught with SPAM and historical conjecture and yet we can still find time to be put off by what we perceive as elitism?

We are a silly, anachronistic lot, indeed. Now, let's all get drunk and burn something to the waterline.

Aye lad,

tis a good point. As one who has asked questions and looked for critism both with what I am trying to do with my pottery and trying to learn about the garb and time period, i post in many a section. I try to look for to see if the question has been asked somewhere and if not I ask it the best I know how.

SOme bits of this forum are just plain fun to post in and see what other folk have posted ie beyond pyracy. some bits tend to be more serous and that be where ye can learn from. since this is a mordern method of communication it tends to get caught up in teh rigors of all that comes with 21 st century trappings. As my first expirence with ever posting online has been a learning expirence and some of the fondest moments of my day these last months.

So raise a glass to any and all and enjoy this method of sharing our collective hobby, spirit, and for some vocation.

Cheers,

Salty

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

"I agree wit' William!"

So, Jacky picks up some ale an torches, & heads off in the general direction o' the Watch Dog.

:ph34r: You attack the Watch Dog, luv, and you'll need more than just me to watch your back!

Let's just drink the ale instead. :ph34r:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

:ph34r: You attack the Watch Dog, luv, and you'll need more than just me to watch your back!

Let's just drink the ale instead. :ph34r:

But... it was Williams idea! Suppose he must hav been in his cups, when he suggested it.

'Sides ye don't like ale, luv. It's early yet, how 'bout Moet an O.J. wit' glasses (that would be new!)