Choices for spending money

JohnnyTarr

Ok I have a choice on spending my money. I don't have the money to spend on everything at once. I can either spend money on items(like wepons), clothes, or my pirate sailboat. I would like your help in making this decision.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Depends.

If the question is choosing between pirate costumes vs. owning a vessel, you should ask what your endgame goal is.

What specifically do you you have in mind for a 'pirate sailboat'?

I can only speak for me, because that's who my heart is attached to. :huh:

I learned to sail, as did my parents, that's a skill I refuse to ignore, and therefore is an intrinsic part of who I am. I also plan on buying a sailboat and vowed I would not leave this life until I do. I'm wrestling with house renovations before I can make the plunge....so I'm on Dad's boat for a while. I have job experience as a boat builder so I convinced myself my plan is to buy a used and fix it up.

As for costumes, I just enjoy the pirate persona and history, and plan on attending some events to meet friends, like-minded people and make a spectacle for tourists.

Bottom line is 'don't kill yourself financially'...you never know how things will end up panning out.

Best of luck! :huh:

SHIP2-1.jpg

Are you planning on fixing up a sailboat you already own? Or on acquiring one? If the latter, remember that the money you spend on a boat will always be just a "down payment."

They don't call a boat "a hole in the water that you pour money into", for no reason! :huh:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

The boat is one I plan to build. I have the plans for a 17" sloop. That is a replica of a royal navy sloop of the 18th century. Plans are made by Walter Reid. It looks great on paper so far. If you are interested in following my path on this look into An adventure in shipbuilding on Beyond Plunder.

As for the continued money investment of a boat. My wife has horses so I figure this makes us even :huh:

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Mate, a boat goes a long way. Look at the Captains of the Royaliste and the Wolf. They could wear pink taffata and I'd still sail with them half way round the globe. I boat just goes a long way. If you have a passable kit and a boat is a real possibility, then keep focusing on the boat.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpg

Naive question: Isn't the clothing something like an order of magnitude less expensive than the boat?

Be that as it may, I agree with William: when you are out on the water, the boat minus the costumery is practically no loss in enjoyment, at least in the short term. The reverse, not so much.

While you couched your question as an "either/or" proposition, I would steer a middle course. Work steady on the boat but keep some time to play pyrate as well, building up your garb and equipment as you go. Cannon are way expensive and you can't carry them on land easily. So opt for a big pistol rather than a small cannon. That sort of compromise is what I'm talking about. My advice? Work up a basic kit and keep plugging away at the boat.

Which brings up another question: Trailerable? Nothing goes to windward like an internal combustion engine.

I reviewed your choice of plans. Sweet.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...