Time to upgrade me swag

bbart

:rolleyes:

I made my own pirate outfit from a pattern from the fabric store. I also made the shirt. For this years trip to Catalina I'll be making the pants. I'm thinking of adding a little more trim on the front. maybe a brocade lapel, you can see in one of the photos I do have some gold trim on the front.

I'm not necesarily looking for strict historical accuracy. I think I also need to shorten the jacket also.

I might want to use additional material to stiffen up the hat, maybe some stiff felt. I used wire sewn into the brim to keep it in place

I figured that this is the place to find the experts so I thought I'd see what you think.

I'm new to using hosted photo sites so hopefully this will work. I'm the one in the purple outfit. I was thinking of adding more on the front of my jacket like my friend Capt Jones in the blue jacket

DSCF1946.jpg

DSCF1934rotate.jpg

Sloganpicturecopy.jpg

Go with accuracy, says I, and you will look right at home in Hollywood or the reenacting camp. The reverse is not true. Spend your money once (oops, too late) Go to Captain Twill and go to the "stickied" "Clothing Index" thread up at the top. There is a lot of information in that.

Or take the shortcut and go to see Kass. Here. She has the best patterns for our time period and is active and available to help on this forum.

Buy the right shoes. (Buy boots for Halloween or Hollywood if you feel like it: I have both)

Buy the right socks.

Buy a hat blank and make your own cocked hat.

Make everything else from Kass's patterns.

Get it done by December and come to Key West and live the life of a pyrate.

DSCF2402.jpg

Patrick Hand, Silkie and Meself. Note Patrick's common sailor's short jacket.

IMG_6235.jpg

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I agree, that is indeed an outstanding portrait, Captain Jim. And after seeing William's artwork, I know he can do an outstanding job with a painted portrait. William is an extremely talented artist! B)

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Go with accuracy, says I, and you will look right at home in Hollywood or the reenacting camp. The reverse is not true. Spend your money once

This is so perfectly put! I could not agree more... Well said Captain Jim!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

yes.....better to keep it to the authentic side of the sea ....you can always take it to the hollywood side if you so choose ...but good slops and simple shirt waistcost(wescoat/vest) and a decent hat and period shoes ....for a couple hundred bucs you get an outfit that fits into any crowd of scallywags ....then we'll talk about PERIOD WEAPONS!!!

:blink:;);)

;););) good hunting lad!!

• 4 weeks later...

DSCF2402.jpg

Jim, I want to do a drawing or full blown painting from that picture. Talk to Callahan and get me permission and yours as well.

It needs to be painted.

You do look authentic, mate: no doubt there! :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"