Flight advice and fares??

Rats

Alright folks... It's about $350.00 to fly into Key West.

Why do I remember folks sayin you can save half the price by flying in and driving a bit???

Which port was that to lay into??

Anyone have any better leads on fares??

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

You are departing from where?

OK, I have one "unique" approach to arriving in Key West, that is the Ft. Myers ferry. if you book early, like more than 3 weeks before departure, I say fare would be in the neighborhood of $120 R/T. , maybe less. just go to seakeywestexpress.com, now I think they now depart from Miami as well. Those who arrive at Key West by plane must surely know what the restrictions/permits involving any type of firearm/swords, as the ferry has the same TSA screening on the ferry as the airports I chickened out last year as I only own a replica Queen anne flint pistol and I didn' feel like dancing with screeners so I left it home.

That being said, your choices of cheap airfare using Key West ferries instead of flying direct into KW, give you the options of flying whatever airline that goes wherever the ferry departs from. I flew into Ft. Myers last year since I couldn't avoid stopping by at mom's house in Pt. Charlotte first. The cheapest airlines to Ft. Myers are Jetblue, Southwest, Airtran,US3000. We got cheap cheap airfare on the gulfside.

Folks, don't just take my word for it. If you're going to PIP with a load of gear, tents, weapons, whatever, then maybe it just makes sense to cheap airfare into Miami or Ft Lauderdale, then rent a van or car and drive on the causeway throught the keys, then do it. but the ferry between KW and Ft Myers is 3 1/2 hours and you don't need a car...and you get hollywood-quality picturesque romantic sunsets on the boatride home.

......ust to let you know.

SHIP2-1.jpg

Rats, I used Expedia and played with their calender settings to see the variation in the prices & 6-8 weeks before seemed to be the best price ranges.

We can go from O'hare to FFL (ft. lauderdale) for about $200 something direct flight, possibly a little less if you can do more than one take off & landing per direction (not an option for me just yet). If you fly out of Mitchel every one of those flights connects at O'hare. You can also fly to MIA but I didn't look into that. It's probably about the same.

I know there are a bunch of people talking about meeting up at the airport & taking the bus down to Key West. Mr. Hand & Silkie did that last year. Patrick says the bus depot is right there at FFL. There is of course the group car option as well.

oh & on the stuff issue. Don't forget the option of shipping you "checked" baggage down to the fort ahead of time & just bringing your carry on stuff. Eliminates a lot of hastle in the airport.

*nudge**nudge**nudge* :P

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

oh & on the stuff issue. Don't forget the option of shipping you "checked" baggage down to the fort ahead of time & just bringing your carry on stuff. Eliminates a lot of hastle in the airport.

*nudge**nudge**nudge* 

Yes, smartest way indeed.

FYI, I am also flying to Ft. Myers in 3 weeks from NJ....$220 r/t from Newark via Jetblue.!!

I would, however, listen to other folks on this board , CrazyCholeBlack for instance, but don't forget my experience (as it may-or-may not be for you).

SHIP2-1.jpg

If traveling alone I usually fly all the way to key west. If I have a friend along it was cheaper to fly to fll and drive down. Last year car rental rates at fll and miami went nuts, econo boxes are about the same as luxury cars and vans. So it might be cheaper for two to fly all the way. However, if this is your first time you must drive the overseas highway. Puts the place in the right perspective. With four or more fly and drive gets cheap.

Those who arrive at Key West by plane must surely know what the restrictions/permits involving any type of firearm/swords, as the ferry has the same TSA screening on the ferry as the airports I chickened out last year as I only own a replica Queen anne flint pistol and I didn' feel like dancing with screeners so I left it home.

Don't freak out about weapons. I fly with mine all the time. I have a cardboard box for the crewe where they dump their swords, knives and black powder pistols into all the time. I just let them know what's in it at check in and have never had a problem. The only place that I've been to that I've left them home is Jamaica. They don't like the toys. Just make sure it's not in carryon, mention you have it when you check in in the checked luggage and most airlines could care less, particularly if you fly in costume because they're more interested in the outfit than the baggage.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

If traveling alone I usually fly all the way to key west. If I have a friend along it was cheaper to fly to fll and drive down. Last year car rental rates at fll and miami went nuts, econo boxes are about the same as luxury cars and vans. So it might be cheaper for two to fly all the way. However, if this is your first time you must drive the overseas highway. Puts the place in the right perspective. With four or more fly and drive gets cheap.

That's sort of been my experience with Key West. (Although I've only been down there during Pirate Daze once - long before I started posting here. I've flown to Key West over a dozen times.) If it hasn't changed, it's about $150 - $200 pretty much fixed to fly a small plane out of most of the larger airports in South/Mid Florida (which is a neat trip in itself - the sky view of the Keys). Balance that with the cost of a rental car... You might think you will want to have a car, but, done right, you really don't need one much once you're there (unless you want to go to new town.)

OTOH, as Ol Man From the Sea hints, the drive down (once you get onto Key Largo proper) is pretty cool, especially in a convertible. There's all kinds of little kitschy roadside shops, art galleries and restaurants to distract you if you're not in a hurry. And there's the bridges...(*sigh* Sometimes I'm such an engineer.) And the ocean...

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

;)

Rats, Chole and any others potentially attending/travelling thru O'Hare ~

Seems like there might be enough people heading down from O'Hare to justify working out schedules and such for a group trip? Last year for PiP we flew into Miami, which was a real easy jump onto the highway, and nice drive down through the Keys. I wonder if there is such a thing as a group rate for airlines? And what would it consist of?

I am planning on building my sailors chest to airline standards for checked baggage, in case I decide to go that route instead of just shipping it to Harry.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

? What about the weather?

It is hot, humid, and sunny, just the way I like it, with lovely breezes ~ definitely linen weather, if there ever was, for anyone warm-blooded (that would not be me B) ).

At least, that is what I remember from last year. The only downside was it rained the last day.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I would, however, listen to other folks on this board , CrazyCholeBlack for instance,

Ha! See Rats, told you to listen to me B)

Mary, yes we should do our best to arrange travel as a group. Although I'm the one who will be the pill & insist on taking a direct flight.

If nothing else, I really want to meet with others at the airport & head to Key West as a group. Right now I lean towards the bus because it's cheapest & convenient but if there were enough people to pack into a car that could work too.

I intend to ship everything and only fly with my little carry on. I don't *do* checked baggage. Just don't trust it not to disappear.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

I would, however, listen to other folks on this board , CrazyCholeBlack for instance,

Ha! See Rats, told you to listen to me :lol:

Mary, yes we should do our best to arrange travel as a group. Although I'm the one who will be the pill & insist on taking a direct flight.

If nothing else, I really want to meet with others at the airport & head to Key West as a group. Right now I lean towards the bus because it's cheapest & convenient but if there were enough people to pack into a car that could work too.

I intend to ship everything and only fly with my little carry on. I don't *do* checked baggage. Just don't trust it not to disappear.

Agreed, Chole. I am also in favor of a direct flight ~

The extremely tentative plan for us: fly out of O'Hare Thursday Nov 29 early morning (before 10am), arrive Miami early afternoon (before 2pm), drive to KW to arrive early evening/dinnertime (before 7pm).

Hope this helps ~ :huh:

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Gee, perhaps we should ask "Cat" about airfare and destination charges to PIP?

Though Delta and Continental have hubs in the southern states, they may not necessarily have the cheapest rates.

About 14 to 21 days out from departure is more then enough time to book ‘low faire’. Price wars go on all the time, and hopefully, there will not be any over booking on outbound flights.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I recommend flying in on Wednesday. It's an all day trip to KW no matter how you go (even driving in from Orlando takes us 8 hours) and Thursday evening is the start of events. Same with the end. Most fly out Monday morning back home...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I recommend flying in on Wednesday. It's an all day trip to KW no matter how you go (even driving in from Orlando takes us 8 hours) and Thursday evening is the start of events. Same with the end. Most fly out Monday morning back home...

-- Hurricane

Ah, correct ~ Thank you, Hurricane!

I should have said Wednesday flight out ~

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

I drive down to Pleasanton/Dublin, and catch BART to the San Fransico Airport on Tuesday night.....

Arrive in Miami about noon on Wednesday, and then catch the Greyhound bus down to Key West....

Arrive in Key West at about sunset, take the local bus out to the Fort.....