Cloth Buttons on Short jackets??

Rats

Morning to all..

Like the tag said, wondering about sailor's short jackets and the usage of cloth buttons...

Any pics or idea of size and such??

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Oi Kass!

Actually I'm talking about the "takes twelve hours to make one" dorsal fin buttons or what ever they're called..

I geuss they're supposed to be used on the slops contract thingy???

Probly not making much sence... 24hrs, no sleep... now back to work.......

No rest for the ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sig2.jpg

Oh, you mean Dorset buttons! I know what you're talking about now, Rats!

No. Not on Slop Contract clothing. The Slop Contracts specify "thread buttons". Not the elaborate "takes 12 hours" Dorset buttons.

I mean, think about it. The Admiralty issues these Slop Contracts for common sailors' clothing. Not officers. The guys who don't have suitable clothing when they come aboard. Do you think they're going to specify these elaborate buttons that we seen on the gorgeously embroidered and gold laced frock coats that are in museums? Nuh uh.

And I'll tell you something else -- if they were made with Dorset buttons, the jackets wouldn't have cost 9 shillings and 6 pence! They'd be ALOT more expensive.

So Dorset buttons -- great for upper class frock coats and shirts. Wrong for Slop Contract gear.

Also be aware that thread buttons are not specified in the Slop Contracts until 1724. The previous Slop Contracts that mention buttons at all (1706 and 1717) specify brass or white tin, not thread. Are you portraying that late?

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

So Dorset buttons -- great for upper class frock coats and shirts. Wrong for Slop Contract gear.

Also be aware that thread buttons are not specified in the Slop Contracts until 1724. The previous Slop Contracts that mention buttons at all (1706 and 1717) specify brass or white tin, not thread. Are you portraying that late?

THANKS!!!!!!

THAT is MOST interesting and helpful.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Oh excellent!

Thanks again Kass!

Truthfully if I'm not mistaken most of us are working around the early teens?

But really thanks again :lol:

rats

sig2.jpg

I can't speak for everyone of course, Rats, but the Pirate Brethren do some events that are early teens and some that are 1690s. They are usually 1710s.

That's why I wanted to warn you. The Slop Contracts that talk about thread buttons are 1724 which is way late for most people I know doing this period.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!