Shackles and Irons

Rateye

Rateye, either I'm having deja vu or we've just discussed this. A search in this forum should turn up the discussion. I even think it was your dear Captain who started the thread. :lol:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Geez, Rateye, you and I need to hang out a lot more.

I have four sets... Two were in my car during the Renaissance Faire... but the topic never came up (and I swear -- one more pass through those gates, and I would've killed someone...)

One set are jet black nondescript shackles, which snap securely shut -- you need a narrow screwdriver blade to pry them open (I filed down the tip of a skeleton key to do teh job).

Two are heavy iron shackles, which I got off of eBay (try searching for "Shackles" or "leg irons"). One of these are short-chained (for wrists), the others have an approximately 2 foot chain (like for leg irons, or two people to each other).

The fourth set I picked up a few weeks ago at the Renaissance Faire. They are like my other heavy iron shackles, but with segmented "cuffs." Real fancy-like.

If we are both at the Faire on Labor Day, remind me to bring along some to show you ... or at least point out the vendor that was selling them.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

...And then I remembered that the two "heavy iron shackles" are in a picture I previously posted on the Pub...

PirateGear.jpg

The leg irons stretch across most of the bottom of the photo... the wrist shackles are at the top, next to the tin tankard... And now I notice the brass tankard (which I mention in your "Tankard" thread) is in the upper right of the photo.

The going price for the shackles & leg irons is about $35 on eBay.

...I am sorry to admit that this photo is very outdated... I have acquired much more stuff since it was taken...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Cap'n Pete,

What a lovely collection! Would you mind telling me what is repro and what's original? It all looks so gorgeous! :)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Speaking of eBay, I just did some looking... Theere are some pretty great looking items on there as of today.

You might want to check out:

"Old West Jailhouse/Outlaw Style Handcuffs & Leg Irons" ($45 + $10 S&H; no bids yet) -- these appear to be what I have in the above photo, only threaded together -- $55 is a GREAT deal; that's about what I paid for my two pair combined.

-- or --

"LEG IRONS *ANTIQUE LIKE* CIVIL WAR LOCKS SHACKLE" ($14.95 + $8.95 S&H; no bids yet)

-- or --

"ADJUSTABLE DARBY LEG IRONS handcuffs" ($5.50 + $8.00 S&H; 2 bids)

You may also notice several listings for "Chinese Leg Irons," but I have not seen these things in person.

My experience is that some of these items come with a significant layer of surface rust and must be cleaned up quite a bit.

If you move fast, you might pick yourself up a bit of a bargain.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Cap'n Pete,

What a lovely collection! Would you mind telling me what is repro and what's original? It all looks so gorgeous! :)

Easy -- the calipers are "original" (but may not be terribly old), and all the rest is repro.

I mean, most all of it is the real deal, but it's all of relatively modern construction.

I made all the paperworl (maps, Letters of Marque, and paper currency), and all the coins in the photo are fake.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

See, the shackles would have been perfect fot another trip through the gates of the polo shirted magistrate hell???

But those are exactly what I was thinking of!

Actually Mistress Lilly and I did see the shackles at Bristol. However, they were way too shiney for my liking.

I'll also be looking to master E-bay and try me luck!

Rats

See, the shackles would have been perfect fot another trip through the gates of the polo shirted magistrate hell???

But those are exactly what I was thinking of!

Actually Mistress Lilly and I did see the shackles at Bristol. However, they were way too shiney for my liking.

I'll also be looking to master E-bay and try me luck!

Rats

Yes -- they were tather shiny... but I picked up a pair because I want that style in my collection.

Rayeye, I will bring along the irons -- presuming I'm at the Faire on Labor Day (still looking good...but I will have to bribe the wife with something). I will probably wear the lightweight irons on my belt, or if security hassles me, on my wrists...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

My Dear Rat,

Yes, I do remember the shackles from Bristol.

Does anyone know where a smaller pair can be obtained? Sad to say, I have an awful time trying to find a pair that fits me! I have managed to slip through every pair that has been fitted upon me!

(No really...) My frame is quite small and my wrist measures about 4-1/2 inches.

Any ideas?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I have managed to slip through every pair that has been fitted upon me!

(No really...) My frame is quite small and my wrist measures about 4-1/2 inches.

Any ideas?

Rope! And LOTS of it... and a gag...yeah a good one... since you've already managed to learn how to talk around the button on your vizard....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Actually my dear, I think the large shackles would look good, or should I say excessive. Which would help with the scene...

Rats

PS: It's all for the show, for it must go on!

Also Pete, it would be Sunday the 3rd for Bristol. That way folks can still do family stuff if they have it planned. (Unfortunately, I'll be serving up the real shackles on that day!)

Rats

First of all which lips? Second use tarred hemp and sailcloth for a gag. Third I found a nice handcuff knot that gets really tight when pulled and is hard to loosen. Fourth who are we doing this to?

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

Also Pete, it would be Sunday the 3rd for Bristol. That way folks can still do family stuff if they have it planned. (Unfortunately, I'll be serving up the real shackles on that day!)

Rats

To clarify Rateye...Sunday is good for you?

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"