The Plague Doctor Costume

Grymm

The idea that water carried disease wasn't really known about until the mid 19thC when some chappie in London, who's name I forget, logged the cases of cholera on a map and noticed that they centred on a communal pump. The miasma smell basically is where folks though sickness came from hence pomanders to sniff to ward off disease and the strange beaky costumes of plague doctors

plague%20hat.jpg

So...seeing this [costume] I can't help but wonder; would it be PC for me to wear a mask like that at an event? It would be so cool and we have period evidence...sort of. (Don't even bet I wouldn't do it. You'll lose.)

The plague doctor outfit is period so no reason not to have an outbreak of plague at an event.....or have one doc in white and one in black and have doc vs doc rather n spy vs spy.

Edited by Mission

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

The plague doctor outfit is period so no reason not to have an outbreak of plague at an event.....or have one doc in white and one in black and have doc vs doc rather n spy vs spy.

What is the mask? It sort of looks like a macaw...or Adam Maitland.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not to get off topic, but...oh, what the hell...

plague%20hat.jpg

So...seeing this I can't help but wonder; would it be PC for me to wear a mask like that at an event? It would be so cool and we have period evidence...sort of. (Don't even bet I wouldn't do it. You'll lose.)

Maybe we could bring this back on topic by asking if it's good etiquette for a surgeon on call to enter the front door of the tavern, especially in this get-up. :D

"Don't mind me, I'm just here to see the proprietor's younger son. Keep drinking."

P.S. If you do this, Mission, you better show us the pictures! :lol:

I split this out of the Tavern discussion since it's gone off in its own direction. Note that I added all the relevant posts from the Tavern topic to Grymm's first post.

According to the Wiki on this outfit:

A beak doctor costume was an ankle length overcoat and bird beak mask worn by a plague doctor to protect him from airborne diseases.[3][4][5][6] The overcoat, as well as leggings, gloves, boots, and a hat, was made of waxed leather. Straps held the beak in front of the doctor's nose. The mask had glass openings for the eyes and a curved beak. The beak led to the name "beak doctors." It had two small nose holes and was a type of respirator against airborne germs. It was based on the miasma theory of disease. The beak held dried flowers (including roses and carnations), herbs (including mint), spices, camphor or a vinegar sponge. The robe was impregnated with similar fragrant items. Doctors believed the herbs would counter the "evil" smells of the plague and prevent them from becoming infected.

Plague doctors wore wide brimmed leather hoods to indicate their profession. They used wooden canes to point out areas needing attention and to examine the patients without touching them. The canes were also used to keep people away and to remove clothing from plague victims without touching them or to take patients' pulses. (gathered from Wikipedia on 11/12/2010)

This completely jives with my research. The airborne theory of fever transmission held sway for millennia. In fact, I found so many references to the airborne theory of fever that I plan to put a whole section in my book on this topic. However, I doubt this would ever be seen on a ship as worn by a ship's surgeon. The very nature of the outfit implies it would be land-bound. A "plague"-infested ship would have no need of the full costume.

Still, for those interested, a replica of the mask can be purchased here, although $150 seems a bit steep to me. But what a great Hallowe'en costume this would make!

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Considering the fact that we are seldom on a ship at events if you chose to coordinate a plague ridden port town it wouldn't be too far fetched. The question would be how do we explain all those pesky sailors, thieves and other unsavory people we usually have in our encampments? Perhaps the good doctor could be warning of a plague from a neighboring town, checking on this port town, unknowingly spreading said plague.

A movie called "Restoration" had a doctor in it who wore the get~up..

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."