Anne, Mary, and Calico Jack?

iPirate

ok, I'm confused. I had previously thought that the trio had been captured and tried in Nassau, Bahamas by non other than Woodes Rogers. Of course, I haven't checked dates or tried any validation checks on that, it's just what I had previously heard. Now the wikipedia entries on both Jack and Anne state that they were capture in Jamaica.

We all know that wikipedia has it's flaws so which account is correct?

gallery_10737_100_5347.gif

Time flies when you're having rum

ok, I'm confused. I had previously thought that the trio had been captured and tried in Nassau, Bahamas by non other than Woodes Rogers. Of course, I haven't checked dates or tried any validation checks on that, it's just what I had previously heard. Now the wikipedia entries on both Jack and Anne state that they were capture in Jamaica.

We all know that wikipedia has it's flaws so which account is correct?

i'm totally going off memory here...i believe they tried to (or did) seek pardon for pyracy from rogers in the bahamas.

some time after that they attacked several ships around jamaica, then got caught. i think jack rackham was tried in spanish town (called something else then) on nov 16 (my son's b-day) and was hung from a gibbet on an island just off the coast of port royal (it's now called rackham's cay).

the girls were tried afterwards, & pleaded their bellies. mary died while in prison and is buried in jamaica, anne was eventually sent free.

correct me guys if i got anything wrong.

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

That's basically it, Paisley. The cay is now underwater, but is still called that by the locals. He was actually hung at Gallow's Point with the rest of his crewe in Port Royal, then gibbetted on the cay. He hung there for years - in fact, there was a tale of a sailor who used the gibbet to get back to the spit Port Royal is on after a tempest many years later.

Mary died in the Gaol in Port Royal. We've been to the cells. She was then transferred to Kingston where she was buried in an unmarked grave outside the church cemetary. It is assumed the baby was born inside the walls, since children are born without sin. Mary, on the other hand, not exactly sin free.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Mary died in the Gaol in Port Royal. We've been to the cells. She was then transferred to Kingston where she was buried in an unmarked grave outside the church cemetary. It is assumed the baby was born inside the walls, since children are born without sin. Mary, on the other hand, not exactly sin free.

Do we know for sure that Mary Read's child was in fact born? The time elapsed from her taking up piracy to her burial was only a little over 8 months (22/8/1720 - 28/4/1721). Make of that what you will.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

In Jamaica, that is the official story today as I've heard it.

The official account is as such:

"Mary Read died of a fever while in prison at Port Royal in 1720, her unborn babe with her. They are buried in Jamaica, as recorded in the earliest registrar of burials for the parish of St. Catherine."

There was no prison in Port Royal at the time - there was only the Old Gaol there, which is still there now.

However, I've also heard from historians in Jamaica that there that she died in child birth and that they were buried separately. Either way, Mary would have ended up on the outside of the church cemetery there. But no one knows exactly where in St. Catherine she's actually buried.

-- Hurricane

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Any "reliable" info as to whatever happened to bonny Anne, Anne Bonney? I've heard various things, such as her father ransoming her out of prison, but its all just speculation in my books. I'm wondering if any new scholarship has shed light on this...

And poor Jack. To have been greeted with the words "If you had fought like a man, you need not be hanged like a dog" from dear Anne must have cheered him considerably as he was led out for his app't with the hempen halter...

Damn, thats sharp!

i found this online...one of her many endings:

Unfortunately, Mary and her unborn child died in prison of fever. Anne, however gave birth to her child which was followed by several execution reprieves. This is where there are no more official records. She was not hanged and she did not die in prision. At the time of her trial she was not yet 20 years old. It is possible that her father was able to help her escape as well as continue the repreives, however nothing is known.

Here is one account of a possible 'Anne Bonny' who escaped prison:

"There is some conjecture that her wealthy father bought her release after the birth of the child. This is one version of her life after the trial. Anne's child, born five months after the trial, on April 21, 1721, was named John Cormac Bonny. John Rackham seems to have been listed as the illegitimate child's father. After the child's birth the mother and child return to Virginia via South Carolina. There are some records that imply that she married a Joseph Burleigh at this time, 1721. It is guessed that this marriage was arranged by Anne's father to get her started upon a clean slate when she returned (one can only imagine the dowry required to get a man to marry a woman reputed to be such a wildcat). The Anne thus recorded gave birth to eight more children with her husband, three of whom died young. This Anne is said to have died on April 25, 1782 (which would have put her age at somewhere around 70-80) and was buried in a place called Sweethaven (possibly in York County, Virginia)."

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

If true, she'd have more than one tale to tell her children and presumed grandchildren. By the way, in the classic and highly accurate work, "The Pyrates", by George MacDonald Fraser, Anne Bonney is a major character. I'm all for her and Col. Blood getting together, behind the scenes, belike...

Unfortunately, Mary and her unborn child died in prison of fever. Anne, however gave birth to her child which was followed by several execution reprieves. This is where there are no more official records. She was not hanged and she did not die in prision. At the time of her trial she was not yet 20 years old. It is possible that her father was able to help her escape as well as continue the repreives, however nothing is known.

"There is some conjecture that her wealthy father bought her release after the birth of the child. This is one version of her life after the trial. Anne's child, born five months after the trial, on April 21, 1721, was named John Cormac Bonny. John Rackham seems to have been listed as the illegitimate child's father. After the child's birth the mother and child return to Virginia via South Carolina. There are some records that imply that she married a Joseph Burleigh at this time, 1721. It is guessed that this marriage was arranged by Anne's father to get her started upon a clean slate when she returned (one can only imagine the dowry required to get a man to marry a woman reputed to be such a wildcat). The Anne thus recorded gave birth to eight more children with her husband, three of whom died young. This Anne is said to have died on April 25, 1782 (which would have put her age at somewhere around 70-80) and was buried in a place called Sweethaven (possibly in York County, Virginia)."

Damn, thats sharp!

• 4 months later...

If true, she'd have more than one tale to tell her children and presumed grandchildren. By the way, in the classic and highly accurate work, "The Pyrates", by George MacDonald Fraser, Anne Bonney is a major character. I'm all for her and Col. Blood getting together, behind the scenes, belike...

Edited by The Island

My favorite pirate ship name "The Night Rambler"

ok, I'm confused. I had previously thought that the trio had been captured and tried in Nassau, Bahamas by non other than Woodes Rogers.

I'm rather late to be mentioning this, but it was of course Jonathan Barnet who captured Rackham and his feisty female furies, not Woodes Rogers.