Favorite moments in re-enacting

I think there was a thread waaay back on this but I couldn't find it. Anyway, got a favorite story to tell from an event? I'll start, as i am well on my way to a rhum induced trip down memory lane...

I was doing my fire-starting/bullet casting/flintlock demos several years back. I give kids a musket ball for a keepsake. On the second day I was bent over the fire preparing for the days event when all of a sudden the sun eclipsed and the voice of "God" came resonating through the air: "Are you the one that gave my kid a bullet?" I swallowed hard and began to prepare myself to face my end. as I stood up and turned to face the biggest man I have ever seen, I mustered all my courage and squeaked; "That would be me, yessir (gulp)." He says; " He han't stopped talkin about you all night and first thing this mornin he started badgering me and his mom to come out again today. I think what you are doing is really spectacular and I want you to have these.." (he hands me two bricks of lead about 25# each)..." and use 'em to keep on doin what you do. There oughta be more folks like you around." He grabbed me by the hand after I set the lead down to speak, shook my hand and then he just turned and walked away. I was too stunned to react before he got away, but I think things went like they were supposed to.

Ok, your turn!

Bo

Hehehehe... Oooo... I LOVE this idea, Bo! And what a hell of a story, too. That's awesome.

Welp, I've many. But will start with my second event. I joined Lee's Legion and was attempting to learn the ropes. I went out onto the battlefield to "molly". At nigh the end of the battle, where I was next to a tree to keep m'self out of the line of fire, I ran out to help a few gents who went down, doing the "molly" stuff, when the line retreated and there I was between the Brits and the retreating Continentals. Urged to retreat as well, I finally attempted it but tripped upon my petticoat and fell. Well, I remained down as though I were shot dead. I could hear the Brits advancing as they mock bayoneted the fallen Continentals. I was spared, luckily.

Now at the end of the battle as I was coming off the field and to the Legion camp, a mom with her son walked up and assured the little boy I was still alive. The mom told me that he was VERY scared for me when I fell dead upon the field. But I assured him, by the grace of God that he saved me, kept me alive so I can help the men of the Continental Army with their cause. I assured him I was alive and well. He felt better to know I was alive.

That was one of the Rev War ones. Another is while at Cantigny War Memorial Park in Wheaton, Illinois for an NWTA event. During one battle, I was on the field as a Dragoon, firing away at the Queen's Rangers (hehehe, a unit Mr Bellows is in I do believe, ironic, isn't it?).... and my commander leans over to me "You die on the next volley". My reply? "What!?!??!?" with a stunned looked. But that didn't come as we got up and advanced. But during that advance I fell anyway. Couldn't get out of it. But a moment later another of the Dragoons that fell, came up to me "Come on! We have to catch up!" so, he helped me up. Arm and arm, we both hobbled to catch up with the line but I fell pretending to be too wounded to move on. "I can't do it. Go on without me. Go get those redcoats for me." says I, his reply "I shall" and there I lay, urging my Dragoon comrade on as he hobbled to catch up to the line. Those specators watching got a good laugh watching the two of us.

More to come in due time. :lol:

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Here's one we'll never forget

It was a few years ago at our hometown festival in South Florida. We'd recently done some work on our costuming, and weaponry, working flintlocks and the lot. There was a teenage boy in the car next to us in the parking lot. We could hear him complaining to his parents " This is lame, I don't want to go to some stupid pirate festival" all at the delight of his little brother, who dressed the part himself was obviously the reason they were there.

This obviously jaded 13 something hipster took one look at Chrispy in all his gear, eyed his sword and the flintlock, immediately quit his dirt kickin and complaining and wide eyed exclaimed, "WHOOOOA COOOL!!!" so loud he looked shocked he'd said it.

Chrispy, a proud new working replica owner leaned over to the kid and told him "Yeah and my gun's real!"

Chrispy swears the kid soiled his pants.

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I think i posted this story before, but i still laugh at it. last october i was to land Rev War troops on the bank of a creek. The day before the battle some troops came over to see what sort of "barges" had been lined up to put them ashore. The first thing they asked was what unit we were attatched to. Sir, the museum owns the boat, i run it. i'm with what ever unit they tell me to be with and showed him my weekeend collection of six different nationality coats. Well, this was no good for these fine officers and they told us so, cut me short in the middle of explaining the history of the boat, seems we were in the midst of reenactor royalty and noone told us. Oh well says I, if yhe didn't want to know, he shouldn't have asked.

The next morning were loading up the first wave of troops an lo-behold theres ol' fancypants and his troops in starched white trousers. Hmmm says I and look to my #1 & 2 sweeps. The devil took ahold of me and I know i'm goin to hell for what followed. We are all in agreement without a word. We had a bit of a headwind and were a couple minutes late getting to the drop-off (a timing issue we corrected the rest of the weekend) so ol' fancypants is really upset now. Seems he was a horseman of some sort and he was uncerimoniously bumped to the landing party. We got to within twenty feet of shore and held position. "Ok lads, over ya go- we cant get any closer else well scuff the bottom up and get sand between the seams" there was a moment of silence and a blank look then the belly aching began. "Lads, either over or back where we started, we have more troops to pick up." One intrepid trooper went over then another, then the rest. fancy britches was purely undone by this point and took a bit of extra coaxing but he went over. Of course as they went over the boat rose and we backed out of our "stuck" position. Poor troops had to wade ashore. Did i mention that they landed in three feet of fine virginia backwater mud underneath two feet of water. So much for white trousers.

Now I admit it wasn't very nice, might even be considered improper. But noone is better than anyone else in this game and we all can learn from each other. Seems the tide rose after that first landing and noone else got muddy- go figure

Alright...

Back some 15 years or so, when I was doing Halfbreed Native for F&I reenacting...

I was sent back into the main earthworks at Old Fort Niagara to convey a message to one of the commanders. After delivering the message I noticed some of the marines I'd hang out with as they were local to me, were all gathered around. SO I poked my head in to see what was going on. Four of the soldiers were seated on the ground, all had playing cards in their hands, guarding them well. Then one of them, in a very serious tone asks, "Got any threes?" and was responded with, "Nay... Go Fish...."

I just about fell over laughing...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

ah just remembered this one last night. a few years ago a few of us at work were pulling the holiday "public guard" watch, which equals colonial militia wandering about ensuring the publik is safe upon the seat of government- more politically correct, than a bunch of uniformed thugs and a great conversation starter as we are not always out in that attire. the catch is not only do we carry the militia gear, but also our duty gear- its amazing how well we can hide that stuff. anyhow, we travel in pairs or within eyesight of each other. So my partner and I are walking by one of the buildings being renovated and notice a propped door- at 1030? odd. So we stack our muskets and call in a search on the radio. It did not take long to find the cause of the propped door as he was making plenty of noise cutting the new copper wire and brass fittings. I don't know what was funnier- the fellows face when he realized he was being arrested by colonial militia or the uniformed officers faces when we came out with him.

LOL... that's hilarious, duch. :) Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that moment.

Great stories all, keep the stories coming.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

ah just remembered this one last night. a few years ago a few of us at work were pulling the holiday "public guard" watch, which equals colonial militia wandering about ensuring the publik is safe upon the seat of government- more politically correct, than a bunch of uniformed thugs and a great conversation starter as we are not always out in that attire. the catch is not only do we carry the militia gear, but also our duty gear- its amazing how well we can hide that stuff. anyhow, we travel in pairs or within eyesight of each other. So my partner and I are walking by one of the buildings being renovated and notice a propped door- at 1030? odd. So we stack our muskets and call in a search on the radio. It did not take long to find the cause of the propped door as he was making plenty of noise cutting the new copper wire and brass fittings. I don't know what was funnier- the fellows face when he realized he was being arrested by colonial militia or the uniformed officers faces when we came out with him.

Oh thats sweet...would have loved to see the confusion on the guys face as you told him he was being arrested. Fantastic

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

My first battle at PIP...

Mike and I were picked to be on a cannon crew west of the fort. We fired some eleven shots in succession before taking up our place among the lines of pirates forming in the field. Braze was leading our part of the charge as a small band of redcoats dared the field. We we're all marching together and I turned to Mike and said, "See ya in Hell, Mike."

"It's been a pleasure serving with you, William." he returned.

Then I realized that a surprise approach was afforded us if we could gain the moat before the redcoats reached the field, so I turned to Braze and asked, "Permission to run ahead and take them from the side, sah!"

"Permission granted, but be quick about it!" he barked around a cigar.

Mike and I ran across the field to reach the moat before the redcoats spotted us from the path. The coral, being what it is, I slipped as I ran and tripped, going head long down the embankment. I turned my ankle and went face first into an anthill. Still, we were hidden within moments as the redcoats came up on our left. Then we waited and watched as the lined up in typical fashion to fire upon the approaching pirates from the west. Braze kept their attention focused there, and as soon as they fired a volley, we rushed them while they reloaded.

Gutted my first Englishman that day...only to learn later that we were supposed to take all of the prisoners alive.

That was also the time that I met Willie Wobble.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Way back when, while we were still doing Rev. War Dragoons, we were at a big event at Ft. Devon, Mass. Well dad's horse decided to rear and flip over backward... Dad seemed alright but had actually cracked a few ribs... immediately he and the corporal, still in full 18th century kit, head on down to the base's infirmary... while they are sitting awaiting their turn, a real sgt. comes in with a batch of new recruits fer their physicals...the sgt. takes one look at Dad and Bill(the corporal) and shakes his head, turns to the new recruits and promptly says..."sorry boys looks as if we have one hell of a long wait..."

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I have alot from being up at Old Fort Niagara...

A different year, we were out in the earthworks and doing what Militia do, take pot-shots at the enemy before the line troops get formed up. So, we're doing our thing... Now being Militia, we don't have all the same muskets, some even have rifles. And the calibres are varying. My one friend has a .50 cal rifle next to me. We're all using a 'standard' load, however in his rifle, it's borderline a heavy load, and thus he gets a louder report form his weapon. During the 'pre-battle', our unit was joined by another, and formed up in our 'ranks'. We all fire some rounds, and my friend with the rifle pops up and fires... nice loud report. One of the fellows turns to him and says; "Geez that was loud, what're you using in that thing?" My friend turns to him and without missing a beat says; "Lead ball.... and you?" The fellow's eyes got real big. We had a good laugh, then educated the fellow about load size, bore, etc...

P.S. some of these stories make us sound like we were unsafe. We are the opposite. I found out being in the militia, the safety folks scrutinized us more, because we weren't 'proper military'. Regardless, everyone I've come in contact with in F&I reenactment put safety above all else. The folks at Old Fort Niagara run a tight ship.

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

• 2 weeks later...

i was part of a 17th century scottish highlanders group some years back....and we did sword fight demos and such.....well...as you can imagine...wearring a kilt...while flinging around with a sword....ooops can(and have)happend.....and since we usually performed for more family audiences.....we started to wear...well undies.

so...the problem being....that everyone in the audience is secretly tryin to figure out what your wearrin underneath.....and if yor wearrin boxers for example....and they git a slip....then you can actually hear the growns from the women in the crowds...of disappointment....and if ya wear nuthin at all....which is proper....then expect to git arrested if ya oops.....so we started wearrin ....welll.....we started wearrin bikini briefs under the kilts....to show high thigh...but now arrests.....

so, ok....in a show....sword fighting....wearring my robin egg blue bikini bottoms.....havein a very dramatic fight scene....one with morals and virtue and grand historical signifagance.........then a grand death scene....im run thru....a gsap from the crowd....i colapse a table....fall unto my death upon the mud streaked ground.....with the back of me kilt up over my head....oooops!!!! :rolleyes:

the crowd still in shock and utter silence from the grand death.......a little girls voice is heard from somewhere in the crowd....... :huh:

mommy,mommy....i know what they wear underneath......blue panties!!!!!

:huh: ...... :huh:

the crowd started laughin so hard....and all the "dead" started shaking from the fit of laughter from there bellies.....that the very last lines of the show were dropped.....

thank you ...and good night.... :P

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

I record the things I find humorous in my Surgeon's Journals, but...

Mine is probably hearing Stynky's voice mail message from PiP 2007. (Of course I didn't have my phone as it's not PC, so I didn't hear it until I got home as I recall...) I still have it - I keep re-saving it on my phone. You can read the transcript on this page - unfortunately it doesn't include the hilarious intonation. (See me at PiP this year and I'll play it for you.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG