Cap'n Mac's new "old" cutlass

Since I finally got my forge up and running, and can't afford to commission a cutlass from Old Dominion Forge, I decided to try my hand at forging my own guard for an old cutlass/saber blade I had. Here's a picture of what kind of sword it used to be, except the guard was all screwed up on it:

ttoy423a.jpg

Therion Arms claims it's a circa 1870 training cutlass/saber.

The guard was all sorts of screwed up on mine, and I'd had it since I was 14. I re-shaped the tip of the blade a bit (blade is VERY sturdy), then forged it into the following, taking inspiration from Old Dominion. The guard is forged from steel, and the handle is burned, burnished, and polished Antler:

CutlassGuard3.jpg

CutlassGuard2.jpg

Cutlass.jpg

Cutlass1.jpg

Cutlass2.jpg

Cutlass3.jpg

Cutlass4.jpg

I wanted something primitive looking, and very real. :huh:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Nice work! :huh:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

A very fine job indeed, mate! You took a monstrosity and turned it into a beautiful, authentic weapon. On top of that, you can be very proud that you built it yourself! :P

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

:unsure:

Thanky for all the compliments :huh:

Although it has nothing to do with a cutlass, here's some of my period-style rigging tools, of which I made the following:

Rigging Knife: Stock removed stainless blade, Carved antler handle made to look as much like Ivory as I could, carved brass pommel, salvaged and re-shaped off another generic dagger, cotton Turk's Head knot

Marlinespike: Carved Antler and cotton Turk's Head Knot, made specifically for working with 1/4 inch cotton for my decorative marlinespike knotwork

Needle Case: Carved and hollowed Antler with wood stopper

The rest is bought:

MarlinespikeKit.jpg

The brass thimble is going to be used in my stitching palm when I get around to making it

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.