Port Royal Scenario

hurricane

Greetings all!

For those who haven't been at PiP or were passed out last year, I thought I'd let you know what we're doing this year over at the buccaneer camp.

It will be a year later than last (duh!) so it will be 1681. We will once again be doing the Catt & Fiddle Tavern, at the corner of Lime and Queen in the heart of the dock are of Port Royal.

This year, we will be making the bar area even better, doing more historical games and having a couple fights each day in the pub. Plus, I am planning to do my historical presentation on Port Royal in the evenings after it gets a little darker. I did it initially a PyrateCon and everyone there keeps asking me to do it again. And what better place than the Catt & Fiddle at PiP?

In the bar each day will be period discussions on the politics of the times, life in Port Royal, the characters that are in town each day, the damned plantation owners and the Privvy Council.

We will also be doing the sugar cane pressing again. We also have a cannon crew in training for the fort battles.

That's it for the moment. Just wanted to make an opening statement.

Oh, and here's where the pub is right now... in our house. Thought you'd like to see it in its new every day home.

-- Hurricane

catt1.jpg

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

We are already in full swing. We have a couple new crewe members who are teaching us brawling, fighting, fire, swordplay... and it should be really something at the Catt & Fiddle for the public to enjoy.

We plan to have five or six more period games than we had last year to teach everyone in the tavern as well. We didn't have time to decipher some of them from the "magic book" we have on the subject.

We are so looking forward to seeing your gang too. Do you have a video projector by the way that we could borrow if we do the Port Royal presentation? What did you use last year for the slide show?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Yes, we have a projection unit that we bring to Pip for the slide show on Sunday night. We wouldn't need it except for maybe at the Shipwreck Ball or on Sunday night for the slide show. You would be welcome to use it. Also, we have a couple of linen sheets that we have rigged as a "screen" with ropes, so you may want that in your area too. Let me know. :lol:

That's wonderful! The Port Royal presentation covers life in the town during its prime, the earthquake, the aftermath and has lots of photos of artifacts and the remnants of the town. We will be going back in July of this year to get even more current photos to supplement the presentation.

Thanks for confirming this for us (the both of you). I think we will be doing it on Friday and Saturday evenings... early on just after sunset.

Thanks for the compliment Harry. It just seemed like such a shame to keep it hidden away...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

• 2 months later...

This is also in Atkins' A Voyage to Guinea, Brasil and the West Indies. He is talking about his visit to Port Royal in 1722.

"Port-Royal has suffered remarkably every ten years, for the thirty past. In 1692, an Earthquake sunk above half the Town; the Rubbish of those Building being still seen under Water, in the shallow Channel that now continues to divide it from the Main. In 1702, it was burnt down. In 1712, August 28th, happened a dreadful Hurricane. And now, August 28th, 1722, a more dreadful one, that besides the Damage it Spread over most parts of the Island did here in particular split the Castle, lay the Church and two hundred People in the Ruins;..."

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Thanks Mission. That's a pretty interesting take on things.

It is certainly the town that just won't die. Last year they a hurricane and resulting storm surge sent 4 feet of water into all the homes. And, of course, in the 50's, a hurricane destroyed everything except the fort, the hospital and two buildings. They are amazingly resilient people...

But they don't speak of the chance of another earthquake and the town's history of them isn't taught in schools there. The kids have never heard of the 1692 earthquake there and with good reason. The next quake is supposed to take the newer side of the town where all the nicer homes are.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

We have a couple new crewe members who are teaching us brawling, fighting, fire, swordplay...

WOT?!?!? :lol: ...TEACHIN THAT VIXEN OF YURS TA FIGHT????after the way she took have the pyrates down durrung the trial...NOW yur teachin her ta FIGHT???? :unsure:

i think perhaps i'll spendin most of me time down near the ordinary.... :o

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

WOT?!?!? :o ...TEACHIN THAT VIXEN OF YURS TA FIGHT????after the way she took have the pyrates down durrung the trial...NOW yur teachin her ta FIGHT???? :unsure:

i think perhaps i'll spendin most of me time down near the ordinary.... :lol:

Awww... C'mon Dogge, I figured you could be my guard this year.... unless ya can't handle me.... :)

I'll try not to hurt you too much... :)

Besides, I thought you were gonna teach me how to take the butt of a gun to the back....

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

My bet's with Diosa on that one.

Did I hear a dog barking? (Wuss! Wuss!)

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

see if i remember this correctly.... :lol: ....Diosa damn near took out nearly 10 pyrates...while being chained.....and UN-armed...... :o

and now you be wantin to TEACH her to FIGHT???? :o ...i dont think we's got enough men folk to hold her down!!!!

and YES...i did say that i would teach her to take a HIT... <_<

i NEVER said i would teach her to HIT ME BACK!!!!!.... <_<

my dear hurricane.... :o ....god be with you

it was nice to have known ya... <_<

rest in piece.... <_<

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I live with this hell cat. I wish you well too sir. Touch her man and the cat goes wild... thought 10 men weren't enough... wow, can't imagine what will happen now! :)

I've already met my match, so meeting my maker shouldn't be a stretch. Besides, Diosa's taken all these strange policies that pay her once I'm dead. So there could be something in it for you once she's done mourning.

By the way, when you going to come down and teach us all to fight like Diosa. We're dyin' here, literally!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ah yes, great idea. Diosa makes her own chain mail (what doesn't that girl do?) but she won't lend me any of hers. She says she's making me a special outfit out of old beer can pull tabs. She says I'm too old for all that heavy armor...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

As long as they keep those pukey non alcoholic beers away, there's no such thing as a bad beer. Can't understand people who actually want to drink beer for it's flavor - it's about the alcohol content, folks -- taste be damned!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ah yes, great idea. Diosa makes her own chain mail (what doesn't that girl do?) but she won't lend me any of hers. She says she's making me a special outfit out of old beer can pull tabs. She says I'm too old for all that heavy armor...

-- Hurricane

Make it out of PVC tubing. That's what they used in the LOTR movies. Unless you of course you have 1000s of beer tabs saved up. Here's a "how to" link