Shoes - I feel in a bind...

Bilgemunky

OK, before anyone asks - yes, I've searched for old and new shoe topics. And I found several. And I read them. And it seems that shoes are more of a frustration for everyone than I'd ever realized.

I have a great pair of pirate boots, but come PiP this winter, I'm opting for the "when in Rome" approach, and am going to try and look passably authentic. I actually have a decent pair of buckle shoes from Flying Canoe - not perfect, but decent. Problem is they have no impact cushioning at all, and they're way too snug to allow for the inserts that would make it possible to last for several days in these shoes. I'm trying to stretch them, but it's looking like it might be time for me to "trade up." But if I fork out more dough, I want it to be the right shoe that I'll really be happy with for years to come.

And therein lies the problem. The shoe I like best - visually speaking - is on Gentleman of Fortune's site. I love the look of these:

GShoes1.jpg

But after checking the manufacturer referenced (http://www.kmgarlick-shoemaker.co.uk/), I see two problems with ordering these. First, the exchange rate is in the crapper. And second, the manufacturer's image looks a bit different - maybe it's just that they're too new and clean, and have huge buckles. But either way, the exchange rate is still rather prohibitive. So moving on something more domestic - the Jarnagin shoes look pretty good too (http://www.jarnaginco.com/FIcatframe.html), but it seems nobody here has had any luck with that company - not returning emails to several. And those those they do respond to, refusing to manufacture the straps to size for GoF's smaller buckles (I've seen lots of concerns that trimming the straps might not look right in the end.)

So with that in mind, it seems the only real option for a large tongue, small buckle, square toe shoe would be Fugawee's Concord (which also needs some triming, and which I don't think is actually all that square if memory servers.) But if I'm going to invest in another pair of shoes, I'd hoped to make it a "perfect" pair, which the Concords aren't quite.

So, have I described the situation accurately, and am now sharing in the frustrations of all, or have I missed some options, in which case please smack me upside the head and point me in the right direction.

Yar.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Largely the same frustrations here, but maybe for different reasons. We've been offered a string of shows -- "Pirates; History vs. Hollywood," and it seems a perfect oppurtunity to get a bit more historic (at least one of us, and the other stay more theatrical, to show the difference).

What I'm going for at this point, is looking historic, even if my thread-counts aren't correct. As more money is available, I'll get more accurate.

At the moment, I'm leaning more toward the Fugawee Concord or Ligonier shoes (though with recent back problems, I'm not sure what the straight-last will do to me) with some of GoF's buckles. The fall-back position is the shoes from Jas Townsend -- all assuming, of course, something else doesn't come along and need that money worse...

sig2.jpg

Bilge - I can't believe I didn't tell you this the other day, I feel like a dope. I understand that the hessian shoe from Sutler of Mount Misery has a uniquely early 18th century look to the tongue, in particular. The latchett's might still be large, but I wonder if they could be feasibly cut down. It might be worth checking out.

hesshoe.jpg

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

So with that in mind, it seems the only real option for a large tongue, small buckle, square toe shoe would be Fugawee's Concord

Rats... Photobuckets is down right now..... so... in Rable Rousing under shoes is a post of my Fugawees with Gentleman of Fortune shoe buckles...

https://pyracy.com/forums/index.php?showtop...15entry278858

I just wish the Concords were avalible in straight last, and not only crocked last (left and right)........ other than that. I like them.....

Indeed, Patrick - your shoes seem about as close to what I'm looking for as anything else available. I would have hoped that my next pair of shoes would have been exactly what I'm wanting, rather than just pretty darn close. But such is life.

I do hear that Fugawee is awsome when it comes to customer service and exchanges in case they don't fit. Did your own Concords match your normal shoe size? (both my current shoes and my boots are actually smaller than what I would normally expect to fit.)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

They were great to work with!!

However just to throw a wrench into things, here's a cheater approach which is being used by a yet to be unnamed crewmate.

He bought a pair which fit him very well and due to the time crunch he jumped at them.

However due to large tongue evny, he cut some appropriate leather and added them to the shoe. Since it's hidden by the latchets you can't notice the difference.

This way you can get the rough or straight last pairs and then have your tongues as insanely long as you want for very little hassel!!!

Just an idea!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

When I bought my pair, I ordered 10 1/2 (my normal shoe size) rough out.

They were a little tight at first, but the leather stretched, so they fit good now.

With the rough out, you have to "pack" the outside of the shoe with black shoe polish.... lots of black shoe polish, let it kinda dry, and then brush it... I might have to pack mine again... most of the polish has worn off......

I also "armored" my heals, so they don't wear too quickly. It's just a row of short nails pounded in at the back of the heel...

You do have to rough up the soles a little. but even then, leather soles are really slippery...... so be carefull when walking on polished concret or tile floors.......

I have several pairs of Fugawee shoes and I have never had a serious problem with them or dealing with the company. I have recomended them to many of my friends and they have had similar dealings with them ... and with their dealers ....so try and order a pair about $100 and wear then around the house and don't scuff up the soles for an hour or so and see what you think of the fit. Before you punch the holes for the buckles in the latchets use the velcro they include with the shoes to get them stretched out properly before mounting your buckles. You'll be much happier with the results.

• 2 months later...

Bump....

Over the last week, I have come across not one, but TWO possible sources for period accurate shoes.

Source one.

Running Iron Outfitters

Look about half way down the scroll bar on the left hand side of the screen, you will see two styles of 17th century shoes (well one style available in two colours). I emailed these guys about a week ago asking about pricing, still haven't gotten a response, I am thinking I will try calling tomorrow. I have generally had better luck getting responses from vendors in the past via phone than byt email.

Source Two

Burnley and Towbridge

Men's 17th century Shoe

Women's 17th century shoe

These are a $110, which is about in line for what a pair of slightly out of period Fugawees would cost... But they are more correct!

Hope this helps someone! If anyone gives either of these sources a go, please share any feedback... I am probably going to have to wait a month or so before I can dive in and give either of these sources a try....

EDIT - on closer inspection of the pictures from the Burnley and Towbridge site, they look left and right lasted (not straight lasted as they probably should be).... So they may not be perfectly correct after all. But given the choice of shoes that are straight lasted and the wrong style, or shoes the correct style by not straight lasted, I think the incorrect lasting would be an easier thing to fake....

Michael_banner.jpg

Look about half way down the scroll bar on the left hand side of the screen, you will see two styles of 17th century shoes (well one style available in two colours).

Whoa, great find, but I though it was two different styles - one square toed and one round toed.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Look about half way down the scroll bar on the left hand side of the screen, you will see two styles of 17th century shoes (well one style available in two colours).

Whoa, great find, but I though it was two different styles - one square toed and one round toed.

Doh, :D

Go figure, I notice something as fussy as the way the Burnley and Towbridge are lasted, and I miss something as glaringly obvious as the toe shape on the Running Iron outfitter shoes.. :D

Just shows you where my mind is at.... :lol:

Michael_banner.jpg