Captain Twill?

Mission

What does that mean? Has anyone been around here long enough to know why the general history forum is called Captain Twill?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Doesn't Stynky know? I thought he was one of the earliest members. Bilgemunky has a veteran, too. He might know.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Stynky does not seem to know nor was he one of the original members. Based on this post the Pub was started in February 10, 2003 by Angus McVox (who is now considered a stowaway, which means his account is no longer valid.) Stynky joined in May of 2003 making him one of the early members. Bilgmunkey joined February 15, making him one of the first members. Of those still active, Littleneckhalfshell appears to be the only one of the founding members. (This doesn't mean they will know why this is called Captain Twill, though.)

I also believe that what we now call Twill was originally the only forum. It was split into other forums sometime in early 2003 (based in part on this post.) From what I can tell which the original forums included what we now call the Crow's Next, Beyond Piracy and Pirate Pop.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I will ask my friend Bilgemunky when he returns from his travels.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

"Twill" is/was another less-than-complimentary term for stitch-counters etc. It is out-dated and never really got "popular" as did some other less-than-complimentary terms, more of an east-coast thing I think. Twill being a type of fabric weave, it was applied to those who were more into authenticity than hollywood/fantasy and so-on and so-on.

Bo

I think Bo's explanation of "Captain Twill" is plausible and seemed to be implied/understood earlier - though I'm not sure that it was ever said out load before. . . except maybe by Cascabel as an insult.

"Crow's Nest" use to be called "Initiation Rights" or something along those lines I think.

Sometimes the legend surpasses the truth. :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

There was a legend? Captain Twill who robbed from the textile manufacturers and gave at the Red Cross....

Mission_banner5.JPG

Not sure myself, just know Captain Twill is where most of my posts have been, especially in the early days.

Wonder what the 'History' is of the beginnings of the Pub, all I know is that back in the mist somewhere I got an e-mail from Jamacia Rose about it and signed on. I think when we had member numbers listed, along with the date of arrival, I was member #4. I just always associated Captain Twill with the research and documentation for period correct discussions for those so inclined, not judgemental, but more towards the acedemic end rather than the social side of the pub's interests.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I