Barrels, Bales and Bags

right then we know a bit about barrels, and I have read a number of accounts stating that textiles were shipped in bales, but what about other cargo? Let's get Twill jumping again...

What was shipped in what exactly?

Tobacco at least from Virginia was shipped in Hogsheads.

Textiles in bales with lead bale seals from the look of it

What else?

Spices? Lemons, oranges?

and Hurricane, right up yer alley, what about sugar? Barrels, Bags? Raw sugar cane?

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Here's an interesting bit of information about an interesting cargo.

"MOSCOW, February 8 (RIA Novosti) - A Russian ship which sank in 1771 off the coast of Finland is to be raised, Russia's cultural watchdog said on Friday.

The Dutch ship Vrouw Maria sank in the Baltic Sea in 1771 while carrying works of art bought by the Russian empress, Catherine the Great, in Amsterdam.

The ship's cargo contained around 300 works of art, including paintings by Rembrandt, as well as jewelry, silverware, etchings and porcelain.

In 1999, the ship was discovered by Finnish explorers and the cargo was proclaimed the property of Finland, in line with international maritime law.

Experts said the cargo, which lay at a depth of 41 meters, was undamaged as it was wrapped in buckskin and kept in lead containers filled with wax."

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080208/98764750.html

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

seems to be a number of lead bale marks found from Russia

some information on lead bale marks can be found here

http://www.melfisher.org/1622fleetresearch.htm

click on Santa Margarita Lead Bale Seal: Artifact 49987

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

While we're on this subject, I would love to hear of an example of rice being shipped in anything other than sacks or bags. I can find no mention of any other kind of container for rice from China all the way to the Americas. Interestingly enough, the majority of ship inventories I've seen bearing rice from the period and for almost a hundred years after often list slaves and rice together, as slaves and rice were both available for export from West Africa. The availability of rice also allowed blackbirders to feed slaves cheap fare while in route to England and the colonies.

So we have tobacco in hogsheads. - http://www.history.org/history/teaching/tradsamp.cfm

"A barrel called a hogshead was used to ship tobacco to England. A hogshead was one type of container made by a cooper. By law, it was 48" tall and 30" across the head (either end.) It held 1,000 - 1,500 pounds of tobacco. Numbers burned into the side of the barrel indicated the weight of the barrel alone (tare weight), the weight of both the barrel and the tobacco (gross weight), and the weight of the tobacco only (net weight.)"

Rice in sacks and bags.

Textiles in bales.

Regarding sugar, here is a link to Wiki concerning the history of sugar. interesting enough, the Chinese were the first to cultivate sugar in a large scale.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sugar#Mechanization

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

When I worked at a historic site here in Minnesota a few years back, I was told that the glass panes for the 1840s building that I was stationed at were shipped up the Mississippi in barrels filled with molasses. They provided no documentation, but it seems feasible. Anyone ever heard of something along these lines?

Taken from the inventory of the vessel Providence in 1673 showing contents of hogsheads, barrels, boxes, hampers, chests, etc...

_a large hhd._

1 doz. 10 paire mens fr. falls

4 pa. pumps with heeles

2 saddles

7 curb bitts

6 snaffall bitts

1 pa. black head stall and raynes and crupp and breastplate

1 dubble girt

4 halters

1 doz. white raynes and headstalls

6 pa. white stirrup leathers

1 doz. pa. boyes and girles shooes

2 doz. 1/2 mens pl. shooes

1 p'ce kersie no. 1: 26-3/4

1 p'ce dito--2:26

1 p'ce. searge

_a little hhd._

6 large pewter basons

3 large Iron shovels

1 curb bitt

1 side saddle and furniture

2 doz. pa. mens fr. falls

10 pa. mens pl. shooes

2 pa. woodden heele weo.[6] shooes

_a little hhd._

40 pa. fr. falls and woodden heele shooes for men and w.

18 pa. mens pl. shooes

2 pa. boyes pl. shooes

_a broad hamper._

5 doz: 1/2 low crowne black hatts

9 reams of paper Damnified[7]

2 peeces of haire cloath ell wide

a small baile of 2 small p'ces of small canvas

1 p'ce ell wide fine canvas in a bundall

1 p'ce Lockram }

halfe a peece fine dowlas } in a bundall

_a box._

3 gounds[8]

2 Jasto Corps[9]

4 stuffe coates for men

_a box._

2 stuffe vest for boyes

2 boyes little coates

2 childrens coates

2 scarlett parragon[10] coates

2 childes parragon coate

1 boyes coat

_a barrell of powder_

_a great chest._

7 peeces kersie

2 p'ces red playnes[12]

1 p'ce white cotton

12 grose coat button

2 doz. pins

4 peeces galloune[13]

3 papers white filleting

12 peeces white tape

a paper sewing and stiching silks about a ld.

6 paire woe. parragon bodices and stomegers

6 pa. childrens bodices

5024514353_8b387a806a_m.jpg

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Another quote from the same book...

About Twenty Leagues from the

Havannah, near the Island of Cuba, they met with a Spanish Privateer

of Six Carriage Guns and ten Swivel Guns, with men Answerable, On or

about the 26th day of September last, which Privateer had About

Fourteen days before that taken a Briganteen called the _Sarah_, with

her Cargo, Consisting of Ten Hogsheads of Barbadoes Rum, Sixteen

Hogsheads of Brown Sugar, Sundry Bales of Cotten, Being in all about

One Ton and a half, together with Ten Barrells of Sugar and About

Twenty barrells of Limes, Altogether of the Value of Five thousand

Pounds in Publick Bills of Credit

Jonathan Washbourne

"Jonathan Washbourne Junr of Bridgwater appeared in court and was ordered to pay £5 fees and charges or be publicly whipped 20

stripes for his abusive and uncivil behaviour to Elizabeth Canaday Late of said Bridgwater by Thrusting up or putting of a skunk

under the Cloaths to her Naked Body And then saying he had Done the office of a midwife." (from The Plymouth Journal, July 1701)

Here's another good one (pretty long though) -

Inventory and Appraisement of the Prize Ship brought into this port by

Capts. Allen and Marshall with her Cargo.

The Ship with her Appurtenances etc. £5000. 0. 0

12 Carriage Guns with their Tackle and Shott

and other Appertinences 1200. 0. 0

669 Seroons[2] Cocoa Wt. Nt. 606 C. 1 Qr. 14 lb. at £15 9095.12. 6

173 Bags Ditto Wt. Nt. 330 C. 8 lb. at £15 4951. 1. 5

165 Casks Ditto Wt. Nt. 246 C. 1 Qr. 16 lb. at £15 3695.17.10

122 Bbbls. Coffee Nt. 162. 3.18

32 Bags and 1 Chest Do. 49. 1.21

51 Large Casks Do. 323. 3.21

---------

536. 1. 4, Nt. 60064, at 3s. 9009.12. 0

60 Hogsh'ds Sugar Wt. Nt. 444. 2. 23 at £8 3557.12.10

90 Ditto Wt. Nt. 662. 3. 11 at £7 4639.18. 9

56 Ditto Wt. Nt. 373. 1. 20 at £6 2240.11. 5

39 Ditto Wt. Nt. 236. 3. 20 at £5 1184.10. 8-3/4

17 casks of Allspice Wt. Nt. 4497 lb. at 2s. 6 562. 2. 6

4524 Hides Wt. Nt. 103877 lb. at 16d. 6925. 2. 6

33 Tons of Wood and 6 Hundred at £45 Ton 1498.10. 0

9 Packs and 1 Cask of Indigo Wt. Nt. 1191 at 18s. 1071.18. 0

3 Chests with some Carpenters and Coopers Tools

and old Iron 30. 0. 0

16 Small Boxes of Chocolate 47. 0. 0

5-1/2 Brls. and 1 Qr. Brl. of Powder 110. 0. 0

1 Doctors Chest and Instruments 70. 0. 0

1 Chest of Tea in Cannisters 70. 0. 0

1 Box of Pins, Spectacle Cases and Thimbles 10. 0. 0

7 Remnants Cordage Wt. Nt. 4 C. 0 Qr. 21 lb. 62.16. 3

1 Basket of Nails Wt. Nt. 2 C. 20. 0. 0

1 Brl. and a small Parcel of Turtoise Shell

Wt. 43 lb. at 25s. 53.15. 0

4 Caggs of Powder Blew[3] Wt. 352 lb. at 2s. 6 44. 0. 0

60 lb. of Old Pewter and Copper at 3s. 6 10.10. 0

7 Casks of Lime Juice 5.15. 0

1 Bed Pillar and 3 Cushions 4.10. 0

2 Looking Glasses 1 Booke 7. 5. 0

5 old Tea Kettles 6. 0. 0

Sundry old Earthen Ware, Pewter, Empty Cases,

empty Chests and old Rusty Tools etc. 20. 0. 0

1 Cag of old Butter 1. 0. 0

1 Brl. of Flour 1.10. 0

1 Case of Oyl 7. 0. 0

1 Basket of Nails and Paint 6. 0. 0

1 Case of Oyl part full 3. 0. 0

11 Old Mapps 1. 0. 0

8 Boxes of Sweet Meats 16. 0. 0

1 Box of Nails 2. 0. 0

19 Ironbound old Casks 25. 0. 0

1 Cask of Lamp Oyl 10. 0. 0

2 Boxes Shells 1. 0. 0

2 Cags pickled Limes 2. 0. 0

1 Case Spirrits 5. 0. 0

1 Tub of Cartridges 3. 0. 0

4 Hand Screws 10. 0. 0

1 Bag of Old Pewter 4. 0. 0

6 Blunderbusses 25. 0. 0

8 Cutlasses 8. 0. 0

5 old Pistols 5. 0. 0

11 Old Small Arms 33. 0. 0

1 Small Cabbin Table 10. 0

1 Large Coffee Mill 5. 0. 0

3 Jugs of Sweet Oyl 5. 0. 0

9 Boxes Thread qt. 285 lb. at 32s. 456. 0. 0

2 pr. Brass Scales with a Beam in a Case 12. 0. 0

14 Handkfs. 6. 0. 0

1 pc. Blew Silk 45. 0. 0

42 Doz. Mens and Womens Gloves 126. 0. 0

8 pc. Chince at £7. 10. 60. 0. 0

6 pc. Britannias 15. 0. 0

6 pc. Coarse Muslin 15. 0. 0

3 Gauze Handkfs. 4.10. 0

1 pr. Silk Stockings 2. 5. 0

6 pr. Embroider'd Vamps for Shoes and Slippers 6. 0. 0

3 Papers Thread 6. 0. 0

2 pr. Burdett 10. 0. 0

1 pc. Blew Callico 8. 0. 0

Remnt. of Blew and White Linnen 4. 0. 0

15 Stone Rings 37.10. 0

[Footnote 2: A seroon, Sp. _seron_, was a bale or package made up in

an animal's hide.]

[Footnote 3: Kegs of the blue powder used by laundresses.]

Jonathan Washbourne

It's interesting to see nails listed in 'baskets' and 'boxes' as I've always seen them in casks, barrels and firkins. I've seen basket illustrations in holds and I've always assumed they would be employed for fruit or soft goods, but like the lists provided by Iron Jon, I can only find fruit shipped in barrels.

I'm reminded of young Jim hiding from Silver at the bottom of an apple barrel.

By hamper, does anyone know if we are talking wicker like a basket?

Crewe of the Archangel

And the lead seals for textiles seem to have been two lead discs joined by a band. There were identification marks on the discs which were folded over the edge of the fabric, thereby folding the lead band and then crimped shut, thereby fastening to the textile. I think Mel Fisher has an article on it along with a seal that's edge is folded over to enclose a string that would have bound the items. I can type out more tomorrow at work but right now I'm packing for Fells Point

see previous post for link to a bit of lead seal info from the Mel Fisher site.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel

Well I am just assuming knowing the term from later 19th century

Crewe of the Archangel

I think tightly woven materials have been used for centuries for the transportation of goods. My grandfather was a merchant seaman and whenever they came in port we would go onboard the ship. Everything in the hold was in bags, flour, rice, various grains and including sugar. He mostly traveled to the orient and India. Brought back some great stuff.

Animal

By hamper, does anyone know if we are talking wicker like a basket?

This is the only other instance of "hamper" in the book -

They had on board the Pirate near 20 Tuns of Brandy. However the Pirates made

themselves very merry aboard of Capt. Carry's Ship with some Hampers

of fine Wines that were either presents, or sent to some Gentlemen in

Boston; it seems they would not wait to unty them and pull out the

Corks with Skrews, but each man took his bottle and with his Cutlash

cut off the Neck and put it to their Mouths and drank it out.

Jonathan Washbourne

some Hampers

of fine Wines that were either presents, or sent to some Gentlemen in

Boston;

Oh lookee the forerunner of gift baskets... snigger... sorry couldn't resist... I will be good

Crewe of the Archangel

oy sterling, do you remember our conversation about maryland vs virginia hogsheads? more importantly, do you remember which book it was in? i'll look and see if i cant find the court proceedings. i know i kept them.

Lets see you picked up for me Proceedings in the Court of Vice-Admiralty of Virginia 1698-1775

and Executive Journals of the Council of Colonial Virginia May 1, 1705- Oct 23,1723

Do those ring a bell?

Crewe of the Archangel

For anybody interested - The above lists are all taken from documents, circa 1640 to 1760, written in 17th and

18th century English, Dutch, French, and other languages, which were collected and translated ("the spelling of the originals has been carefully preserved") in the book -

PRIVATEERING AND PIRACY IN THE COLONIAL PERIOD:

ILLUSTRATIVE DOCUMENTS

EDITED UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE NATIONAL SOCIETY OF THE COLONIAL DAMES OF AMERICA

Here's a link to the Gutenberg edition if anyone wants to take a look at a lot of period documentation about piracy and privateering.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24882/24882-8.txt

Jonathan Washbourne

Hamper comes from the word hampren "to surround, imprison, confine," later "to pack in a container". As I've always understood it, a hamper is another version of a case (a receptacle for holding other things). Cases and hampers are often listed as holding bottles or tin/copper cannisters.

Is cagg an alternate spelling of keg?

Is cagg an alternate spelling of keg?

According to the footnotes - yes.

Jonathan Washbourne

Being a Florida native myself... not to mention a sweet gal...LOL.... .... I think I remember seeing somewhere that sugar was molded into hard cones, that had to be scraped, or pieces broken off. I think they just wraped then in paper for storage....

Edited by RustyNell

RNR2.gif

“PIRACY, n. Commerce without its folly-swaddles, just as God made it.”

Ambrose Bierce

I believe you are right, Nell (and you are a sweet gal :rolleyes: ). If I remember the history of sugar right, they used to make it in bricks. Now I would assume that they wrapped it in something, maybe palm fronds. I didn't see anything in there about how it was wrapped or shipped. I imagine it was by donkey or wagon down to the ship and maybe they packed it there. :huh:

Animal