Pyracy history books

Matusalem

I just ordered 3 books on piracy from Barnes&Noble online...done deal, one of them being' General History of Pyracy' by Daniel Defoe (same author as Robinson Crusoe)...anybody have this book? and without giving away too much, just say no more than three words of what your impression of this book is.

I just thought that an author of the GAOP era would have an interesting take. Plus, I'm filling the ol' living room with pyracy&nautica themed ephemera.

SHIP2-1.jpg

My three words?

Not Daniel Defoe

Or, I guess this would work as well:

Captain Charles Johnson

Having read much evidence and opinions on the matter, I don't think that Daniel Defoe was the author. Yes, this is just my opinion, but even if he is Defoe, I definitley like the author of Capt. Charles Johnson better. At the very least, the psuedonym lends a much more nautical feel and the entertainment that it might have been written by an actual pirate. At best, it might be the work of a former pirate, or a merchant captain of the period who knew of some of the trials, robberies, etc. of real pirates. Anyway, that didn't give much away about the book itself, but I feel it had to be said. Regardless of how credible you think the source is, it is an entertaining read.

Coastie :P

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I tend to agree. If the topic interests you, you can really get an earful (eyeful?) in the book Canonisation of Daniel Defoe by Furbanks and Owen. I actually blathered on quite extensively on the topic of why Defoe is probably not the author based on my reading of that book in this thread (as user Mission).

However, it is still available under the authorship of both Daniel Defoe and Captain Charles Johnson...and since one version is essentially the same as the other, it doesn't matter which one you read as far as I know. Whomever wrote it, it's one of the consummate period books on the topic and should be on the reading list of anyone who's interested in the topic. (Note, however, that several of the stories are actually considered to be fictional, including (alas) the Misson/Caraccioli story.)

Three words?

Great pirate book

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

If you've ordered the GHP edited by Manuel Schonhorn (which is published with Defoe's name on the cover) then you've probably ordered the best edition. Just ignore the crap about Defoe being the author...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

If you've ordered the GHP edited by Manuel Schonhorn (which is published with Defoe's name on the cover) then you've probably ordered the best edition. Just ignore the crap about Defoe being the author...

Yes, Manuel Shonhorn:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...486404882&itm=1

and also this:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...486276076&itm=2

SHIP2-1.jpg

That appears to be the edition that Dover is printing. (he says, heaving a sigh of relief, having just purchased it not a week ago :lol: )

While we are on the subject of Dover editions, how about their edition of The Buccaneers of America, by Exquemelin? Any comments?

Got both my books, yay!

Somehow they both ended up in the loo library, though they are presently on the top most read list. :(

Exquelemin, next.

I'm going to attempt to contact various governments, starting with Newport RI city hall, if I can get my hands on real pirate-affiliated documents of the era. Most, I would expect, would be locked up in a vault.

SHIP2-1.jpg