Draughts of the Watch Dog

William Brand

Some of you may already be familiar with the Watch Dog and its crew. The story has been a work in progress here on the Pub for some time now. I am now proud to offer the Draughts of the Watch Dog for sale. The Draughts are printed in dark brown ink on a pale parchment measuring 20 x 28 inches. The plans include a profile of the frigate and rigging as well as the individual decks and small boats. Copies of the draughts are being sold in pairs. One for framing. One for folding. Each purchase includes two copies for $25.00 within the U.S. This price reflects priority shipping and handling.

International customers may purchase the Draughts of the Watch Dog by paypal using my wife's account. The cost for overseas shipping is much higher, but after shopping around and averaging the cost to various countries such as Denmark, Germany and Russia I have decided to set the overall cost at $35.00.

See payment option below.

The Draughts
IMG_0096.jpg

Detail
IMG_0097.jpg

Please make checks payable to:

William Pace
143 South 400 West
Logan, Utah 84321

Paypal customers add $3.00 and send me a PM with a name and address for shipping. Please send paypal requests to me by private message for further instructions.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ahoy, William,

I don't PM you, 'cause it could be also from interest for other people interested overseas.

How much would be the shipping to Europe (in my case: to Germany)?

Do you accept Paypal? My bank charges me 15.- EUR for a cheque which I have then to send for another 3.50.- to the States.

Is there a cheaper and easier way?

Tally Ho,

Jack

Thank you very much for the compliments. I am already engaged on teo more deckplans. One for an English Cutter and another for a Bermuda Sloop. I also plan to do a Dutch return ship and a galleon soon.

As for overseas shipping, I will investigate all of the overseas shipping costs and prove a paypal account for overseas customers when I gather all of the information tomorrow.

Thank you for the interest.

What would it cost/take to do a version of this or one similar for the ship my own crewe uses? The basics look good - just want the name of me ship on it. I'd be interested in having one to frame and one to show people in the public.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Draughts are an art of investigation and illumination, culminating over many hours and weeks. The Watch Dog required me to delve through period materials, photographs of replica boats, and of course, in the end, the painstaking process of rendering the ship as faithfully as possible. I have begun work on two other boats already, and I plan to do more, but a custom boat is slightly different. With any custom work one has to pander to the exacting details and wishes of the client. You would have to know a lot of information about your boat, or learn along the way. You would need to know the rough year in which she was built, the keel dates, type of boat, cannon weights and names, rigging style, previous name if any, shipyard, etc. The numerous hours involved would make a custom ship a pricey project. Probably upwards of a few grand.

I just got mine! :unsure::lol::huh:

William, they are beautiful! Such attention to detail! Just MAGNIFICENT! Well worth the price and NO waiting! Printed on parchment adds to the feel. I am debating on putting mine behind some amber or sepia tinted glass to give it an antique feeling. I would hate to harm it by trying to age it.

Thank you , thank you, thank you!

Drafting requires a mathematical mind, careful hand, precise measurements, and immense patience.......all skills which I lack......

which is why I got a degree in computer graphics instead....

though, I always thought CAD was neat, drafting by hand is a skilled art in which I have the utmost respect.....

nice stuff......and great work!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

Well done!!! :lol::lol: :) This could be a lucrative side job!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I received mine yesterday. Excellent in every way. I highly recommend this and the following draughts to anyone with space on the wall or interest in sailing of the time as reference works. Both highly decorative and informative.

Support Your Local Pyrate!

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Ahoy, William,

I don't PM you, 'cause it could be also from interest for other people interested overseas.

How much would be the shipping to Europe (in my case: to Germany)?

Do you accept Paypal? My bank charges me 15.- EUR for a cheque which I have then to send for another 3.50.- to the States.

Is there a cheaper and easier way?

Tally Ho,

Jack

Like Capt JackRussel, I am VERY interested in buying a set.

How much is the postage to the United Kingdom?

Also, from my point of view, Paypal is probably the best way for me to make a payment to anybody in the United States, the bank charges for drawing a Dollar Cheque against a sterling account, is more than the cost of the plans. Do you accept payment by paypal?

Do you have a website that you use to sell these items? If you do, could you post the link here?

Just to be a Devil's Advocate, how about an East Indiaman? FIREdevil.gif

Postscript - you know, your photo layout makes me think that those prints (suitably covered with a durable clear acetate) would make some stylin' placements.

Dances for nickels.

Draughts are an art of investigation and illumination, culminating over many hours and weeks. The Watch Dog required me to delve through period materials, photographs of replica boats, and of course, in the end, the painstaking process of rendering the ship as faithfully as possible. I have begun work on two other boats already, and I plan to do more, but a custom boat is slightly different. With any custom work one has to pander to the exacting details and wishes of the client. You would have to know a lot of information about your boat, or learn along the way. You would need to know the rough year in which she was built, the keel dates, type of boat, cannon weights and names, rigging style, previous name if any, shipyard, etc. The numerous hours involved would make a custom ship a pricey project. Probably upwards of a few grand.

I guess the business side of me was hinting that if you were willing to take your existing draught of The Watch Dog and simply substitute other ship names onto it, many people would purchase these, not only here but on ebay and such.

For example, if you simply took the piece you have an put our crewe's name on it, you could sell it to virtually all of our crewe for twice the price you're selling them to and everyone would be happy. And we have a small crewe. No need to create an entirely new draught of a different ship. Geez, the Tampa Bay Gasparilla crewes would pee their slops to have their respective ship names on this piece, and they are loaded with dough.

Just a business man always on the look out for others to turn coin and make a lot of money, rather than a little. With the holidays coming up, you could have your Key West airfare and then some in a month.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I guess the business side of me was hinting that if you were willing to take your existing draught of The Watch Dog and simply substitute other ship names onto it, many people would purchase these, not only here but on ebay and such.

For example, if you simply took the piece you have an put our crewe's name on it, you could sell it to virtually all of our crewe for twice the price you're selling them to and everyone would be happy. And we have a small crewe. No need to create an entirely new draught of a different ship.  Geez, the Tampa Bay Gasparilla crewes would pee their slops to have their respective ship names on this piece, and they are loaded with dough.

Just a business man always on the look out for others to turn coin and make a lot of money, rather than a little. With the holidays coming up, you could have your Key West airfare and then some in a month.

-- Hurricane

These are of course some very good arguements. I must admit that the idea has crossed my mind, and Hurricane has presented an idea which is both lucrative and practical on the surface, but a few logistical issues remain.

The Draughts are printed on a press, and to get a decent cost one generally has to print quantities starting with higher numbers. To do 50 or less prints is costly and some presses won't even consider doing a print job unless they can start with a larger amount. Not that a small crew couldn't do larger quantities to give away. That is very doable and it would make a fine gift or giveaway item for a crew of re-enactors.

A generic ship is also very plausible. I could do a generic one and sell it again and again with small alterations, but even then, some considerations remain, especially with this ship design and others.

First, there is the question of cannon names. You wouldn't want the same cannon names and small boat names as another ship. At least I wouldn't. These Draughts have the names of the cannons as they were named by the crew members and gunnery crews. The small boats are also named. There is the quantity of cannons and small boats. Cannon weights would vary from ship to ship. A sack ship or merchant ship would carry fewer cannons, but a war ship might carry so many that there would be few if any after cabins. The Watch Dog carries three small boats. Some ships only carry one or two.

You also have to change the figurehead. You shouldn't have a boat called the mermaid or the Italian Queen or what have you, yet still have a dog for a figurehead. Figureheads are always unique.

Then there is the time period. If your crew is playing 1670's, this boat doesn't exist yet. If you are playing napoleonic, this boat is too old. Boat design is very specific to time. Prior to the 1700s boat design evolved very slowly, but design always changes. Improvements are always being made to hull shape, materials, rigging, etc.

Then there is the customization of every ship. The stern is always decorated differently. No two sterns are alike. The art, sculpture, windows, and lanterns are always unique. This also applies to deck layouts, interior spacing and the position and number of cannons.

The Watch Dog is unique in that its surgery has its own compartment and it doesn't share the berth deck. This is not a common design. The surgery was generally below the main deck. The Watch Dog also has a secreted gunnery compartment under the Ward Room. Again, not a common design element. It represents a ship that has been modified to the needs of a specific crew.

This might all sound too academic, and logistics aside, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I don't like the idea of slapping a new name on the very boat on which I am Captain. A Captain is always very guarded about his own floating home away from home, and so much about this draught would have to be changed, i.e. the ensign, pennants, after cabins, cannon names, small boat names, dockyard, designer, year of construction, launch date, stern, lanterns, etc., that starting over might just better serve both me and those seeking a boat of their own. I must also admit that in my efforts to make the Watch Dog, I wanted to make it as unique as all ships are. Many of them look alike, at a distance, but they are each very different and I want the crews who may someday commission me, to want their very own ship. One which they can say is indeed a one of a kind.

Yet..I do plan to do a generic ship. I've always planned to do something more generic. Once I have finished the English Cutter and the Bermuda Sloop I am going to do a Spanish Galleon and then a Dutch Return Ship. These will probably be generic enough to make small alterations for custom crews. You are all more than welcome to throw your various ship wants and wishes my way. I could simultaneously design several specific ship types at once. Thank you for any suggestion and compliments.

And for those of you looking for international rates, I shall shortly modify my first post on this thread to include paypal information and international shipping rates.

-W.B.

That's exactly what I was shooting for - a generic ship that can easily be doctored and bulk ordered. Our crewe of 20 would easily consume an order of 50... some for walls, some for carrying about and rolling out in a bar - others to sell. I understand your hesitance to sellout your own ship... but the money making potential of a generic one with the ability to customize the name in a bulk order is a fine money making endeavor... particulary for those of use who aren't so concerned with correctness of time and place, but want something to have visitors to the den drop their jaws.

There's coin to be made lad - like I said, the Gasparilla types would eat something like that up and would love to spend their money on cool things such as their crewe's ship for their walls.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Is that a metric/english bar scale I see? If so, when it goes for a second printing, would you consider replacing metric with some whacky old-tyme units of measure... French feet? Spanish feet? Hmmm... then again, too similar in length... but you get the idea... there must be something...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

Other than that... beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Is that a metric/english bar scale I see? If so, when it goes for a second printing, would you consider replacing metric with some whacky old-tyme units of measure... French feet? Spanish feet? Hmmm... then again, too similar in length... but you get the idea... there must be something...

http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_all.htm

Other than that... beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

That, sir, is a very good idea. I'm kicking myself a little. I will certainly consider that for further projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had several coworkers pour over the details of the draughts.... Not one has said a negative thing. Coments from; "Woah! That's really Cool!" to "Who built that ship, it's incredible!" and everything inbetween...

My thanks William...

One presently graces the wall in my office space...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Monies sent Monday, package received Friday.

Truly outstanding work. I had one student ask, "Is that the Black Pearl?" :blink:

A beautiful rendition of a period ship. Intricate attention to detail. No sea chest or ward room should be without.

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Alright....

What I've done so far to give th' Draught 'character'...

Burned some of the edges, once while rolled up did nicely...

Scorched it in a couple spots, once too long...

Spattered Tea, sweat, blood, and wax on it...

Dipped the ends of it while rolled up in a clean puddle...

And added some notations that got burned off...

PB070012.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org