Ship's cat

Fox

My new cat:

cat.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

A very nice "attitude adjuster"!

I doubt if my dept. would allow such a thing.

I take it, it's your own making... How long did you put into it?

Once weathered in the years to come, she'll look even better!

Well done!

:(

Rats!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

you need some iron hooks, or barbells for the end.....then it'll be a nice proper 'motivational tool'......

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

:( I guess if you wanted to get it really authentic looking, the next time you BBQ a steak, before you throw it on the grill, give the ends of your cat a rub!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I take it, it's your own making... How long did you put into it?

Yup, made it this afternoon, took a couple of hours.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

now that's a nice looking cat. what length and thickness of rope did you use? and, if i can wrangle being at the first legoland weekend, would you mind showing me how to make one?

i'm on the side of angels........but the devil is my best friend

I used 8mm hemp rope for the main body and the whipping and turk's heads are done in a much thinner hemp twine - about 2.5-3mm I guess. The whole thing is just over 3' long (from eye to tail), so you'll need about 10' or so of the 8mm rope, and goodness knows how much of the twine.

I'd be glad to show you how to make one. In fact, I was thinking of making another one with short tails (based on the one shown in Hogarth's "Idle Apprentice"), so I'll put it off 'til Legoland and we can make 'em together.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

hi ed,

that'd be great. i'm still working on being able to make the first weekend, but if i do make it, i've got plenty of rope, from which you made the starter, left over! would that be any good?

i'm on the side of angels........but the devil is my best friend

If it's the same stuff I made your starter out of then it'll be way too thick. I can pick some suitable stuff up if I haven't already got some.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Here's a couple I whipped up -- pun intended -- out of suede:

floggers.jpg

I think I've made a total of a half-dozen of these so far, all but these two quickly claimed by various people.

I can work one of these up in about twenty minutes now -- and that's not to say, "Nyah, nyah, I'm faster than Foxe!" Rather, it's to say, "Nyah, nyah, these are cheap and cheesy compared to Foxe's!"

And I did find out that while these little floggers make a dandy flyswatter in a pinch, they also do have some pretty good sting to 'em. Learned both lessons in the same action. Dead fly and several welts on me leg...

sig2.jpg

Siren--

Not sure if you're asking Foxe or me, but as for mine, so far they've been given away.

Personally, I don't think I'd charge more than about $5 for the smaller one pictured, maybe $10 for the larger. You can't tell from the pic, but the larger one is a thicker suede.

No false modesty, but mine are pretty cheesy when you can see 'em up close...

:(:(

sig2.jpg

Funnily enough Zeph I learned the very same lesson with my back the other day... I suppose it's my own fault for prancing about like Michael Caine in Zulu...

I'd have to get back to you with a price if you were talking to me, the materials alone probably cost nearly $10...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Funnily enough Zeph I learned the very same lesson with my back the other day... I suppose it's my own fault for prancing about like Michael Caine in Zulu...

Playing flagellant, were you, Foxe? Trying to keep the Plague from coming to Devonshire? :blink:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Playing flagellant, were you, Foxe?  Trying to keep the Plague from coming to Devonshire?  :ph34r:

B):unsure::unsure::unsure::blink: Empress, dear, such a low opinion of one's self... :P:ph34r:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Empress, dear, such a low opinion of one's self... :blink::unsure:

Dear Captain,

It cannot be said that the Plague didn't leave its mark and was remembered and feared for centuries! :unsure:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

OK OK. Yes, I was whipping myself to see if it would hurt. It does.

Happy now?

The prancing about like Michael Caine with a fly brush was a different incident...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

At first I thought the title was referring to the four-footed variety. Then I saw the picture of the 9-tailed one. :lol:

Very nice work, shipmates. The hemp one is dandy. I have a couple of "cabin boys" who could use such a motivator. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.