Zack's Pirate Hunter

Hester

During the summer, I read Richard Zack's biography of Captain Kidd and his nemesis, the pirate Robert Culliford, called The Pirate Hunter.

I enjoyed the book thoroughly. I especially liked Zack's narrative style, in that this work of non-fiction read very much like a novel [and would make a great movie!].

I'm interested to hear the Captain Twill set's kudos and brickbats regarding the accuracy of Zack's historical research (which I'm sure must be controversial in places).

Cheers, Hester

pirate-jenny-text.jpg

I liked Zacks' writing style on the whole, but at times I found that it was too journalistic (unsurprising since Zacks is a journalist). I recall one or two downright errors, but offhand I can't think what they were and I remember that they weren't particularly significant ones.

My one complaint of the book is that his main thrust really came across that Kidd was a man wronged and he shouldn't have been hanged yadayadayada. Really good historical writing should address the question and present the evidence for both sides in a way that Zacks did not. I seem to recall too that Zacks was quite adamant about Kidd's innocence, which is overlooking the fact that had he not been hanged for the piracy on the Quedah Merchant he could also have been hanged for his other piracies and the murder of William Moore. :)

However, it is a while since I read the book so I might be misremembering.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

All I can say is (since I have not read the book) Robert (Roy) C. Ritchie (author of Captain Kidd and the War Against the Pirates also Driector of Reasearch at the Huntington Library) was not impressed by this book. More like annoyed at the extreme by Zacks book.

Nuf said :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Actually, this inspires an interesting idea... how about a Pyracy Pub book group? Take two books on similar subjects (like, for example, Ritchie's and Zacks' books on Kidd), read them, and compare notes.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Actually, this inspires an interesting idea... how about a Pyracy Pub book group? Take two books on similar subjects (like, for example, Ritchie's and Zacks' books on Kidd), read them, and compare notes.

Brilliant idea...I'm game!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/