Cartography

JohnnyTarr

It seems to me that one of the most important items on a ship was charts. Of course a few people sailed into the unknown without them. My question is what was the accuracy of the maps of the GAoP and what tools did a cartographer need to make a map? This goes with the Navigation thread that I have seen and I am keeping a good eye on that one too.

Git up of your asses, set up those glasses I'm drinking this place dry.

The short version is, the charts were terrible! They get much better after ~1760s with the invention of shipboard chronometers so that longitude could be determined at sea. Book recomendation:

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel

Another recommended read is "Sea of Glory" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's much later than the GAoP, and 'revolutionary new techniques' were being used, but it describes the charting process and what needed to be done in order to get accurate charts (for the day).

Coastie :lol:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

If you look at the charts of that time you will find that they are fairly accurate north-to-south and not worth a damn east-to-west. This is because they could measure ocean distance n/s using the sun but accurate e/w had to wait until the invention of a reliable chronograph.

This did in no way stop them, as the method of navigation was to travel n/s to the correct lattitude and then sail e/w until you ran into your destination. Always keep a sharp lookout when using this method.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

The short version is, the charts were terrible, yet stylish to the extreme!

True and I've tried putting some sea serpents or 'here be monsters' notes on modern charts but my bosses are never willing to go for it. :(

I once tried to keep them from removing these cool shaded relief contours from a chart. Got shot down of course.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

:(B):lol:

Now that is the TRUTH blackjohn!

And I still have people tell me how much they love our charts. And how if they didn't have such and such a chart they probably wouldn't be here, etc. It's like I say, "it's just a model of reality. Not reality."

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.