Graf Felix von Luckner and "Seeadler"

In another thread, hitman asked:

1 Even though I've refrenced the Seeadler a couple of times I've always done it by what I've been told is the English translation of Sea Eagle is this correct?

2 My only refrence on the Seeadler is one breif overveiw I found can anyone reccommened others?

3 My overveiw states the ship ran aground on an uncharted reef is this correct?

The "Seeadler" was originally a British- built, American- owned 1,500 GRT, 250 ft, three- masted bark, the "Pass Of Balmaha". When WWI broke out, she was impounded, outfitted as an auxiliary cruiser with hidden engine and armament and renamed "Seeadler", which indeed translates as Sea Eagle.

Here is a brief summary of "Seeadler"'s history. Google for it, and you will find more.

It is true that the "Seeadler" ran aground, but the circumstances have been shrouded in a fog mainly initiated by Luckner himself to divert blame from himself and his officers.

The ship anchored at the entrance of Mopelia atoll on July 31, 1917.

Luckner himself, in his report to Admiralty, claimed that a 45 ft. tidal wave, caused by an underwater earthquake , washed "Seeadler" ashore.

A few crew members of "Seeadler", however, gave this testimony: The ship was anchored outside the lagoon, because the prevailing wind and the current coming from the entrance of the lagoon would prevent it from running aground. However, on the morning of August, 2, the wind had slackened and the ship was rolling in the swell, coming ever closer to land. Unbeknownst to the crew, the anchor started to drag the ground. Most of the crew then made for land to have a picnic ashore, with the ship left in charge of the 3rd officer, an engineer and an 11 year old cabin boy from one of the American prizes.

Suddenly, the shore party saw "Seeadler" set her foresheets and then they heard a cannon shot, followed by two star shells, which was the agreed emergency signal. They made back for the ship and on approach they saw that the had was run aground with her stern first. She made water in the engine room and was abandoned.

Another crew member corroborates this version:

Ship drifted at 9.25 a.m. of 2.8. towards land. Order given immediately to start the engine, but could only start after four minutes. Meanwhile the ship had at 9.27 a.m. struck against coral. No engine manoeuvre had desired effect. The wind which in the preceding days was blowing to NE had in the gust which drove S.M.S. ‘Seeadler’ on to the reef gone to NW strength 3/4. The stern anchor was lost and bringing out another took too much time. The ship was continuously running hard aground and the rear hold got full of water in the course of the afternoon. At the same time water ran into the engine room and in the course of the afternoon the forecastle had also sprung

a leak. The ship was abandoned at 3 p.m.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"