Kass, and any others that can comment,

I am a coffee addict. In my frontiersman camp I always have my pot on the coals, but in the last four years I have included in my monologue the fact that coffee was a great luxury item, and most longhunters would probably not have opted to carry such with them. Also that the beans would have been purchased green, and would have been roasted and ground as needed, as pre ground coffee and percolators were not to come for a long time in the future.

So... now that you folks have me ready to sign articles, whats the scoop on coffee in GAOP? (no pun intended)

Capt. Bo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I'll add coffee houses!!!

http://waeshael.home.att.net/coffee.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_shop

And lets not forget cocoa!!! I remember reading about Dampier and his mates mixing up impromptu cocoa on the spot from ground beans, sugar, and hot water.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Also, from the Sadana Island wreck (which I believe is mid-18thC Ottoman):

Excavators recovered a number of objects made primarily

of copper. These included cooking pots and lids,

handles, dishes, a coffee pot, a kettle, ewers, a single tool,

two hinged and linked loops, and two portable grills. In

addition, a well preserved sheave that may be bronze and

weighs at least 12 kilograms and a possible folding lantern

were retrieved.

This report references the following:

Hattox, R. S.

1985 Coffee and Coffeehouses. Univ. of Washington.

I'll also add:

http://www.adventurecorps.com/sadana/coffee.html

My Home on the Web

My thanks to ye both! Saved me alot of time lookin it up. I was sitting here this mornin indulging in my vice, as it were, and the thought just popped in the head so I thought to ask here.

Jas. Townsend used to offer a small brass cofee grinder, but I haven't seen it in the recent catalogues. Anyone know where I might find one? I think it would be a damn good period demo to use in camp, showing the public how much work was involved to make a pot of coffee in an early 18th century camp.

Capt. Bo

I've seen them about the net, but never bought one because I wasn't sure of it's accuracy. Try a search on brass coffee grinder. I believe they come in two sizes. There's also ibriks... for making Turkish coffee...

http://www.natashascafe.com/html/oldibrik.html

Brass grinders here... http://www.natashascafe.com/html/mills.html

Fwiw, I don't recall ever seeing one of these as an artifact from the GAP. But I'm still looking! :lol:

My Home on the Web

Starbucks.... circa 1688!

coffee-house-1668.jpg

Interesting for a lot of things....

Check out the coffee making stuff in the fireplace.

Aslo, look how, at this early date, the stockings are pulled over the bottom of the breeches and held in place with ribbon. And they are clocked...

You get a good idea of the front, side, and back of the wigs...

Also, look how low the crown of the hats are.

gof

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

OK... I'm a sick mind, that guy with his back to us looks like he's in the buff with cuffs! :lol:

And there's aguy by the window with a BEARD! B) Obviously not a seaman either! Too cool!

Thanks GoF... again, great stuff.

BTW- I'm getting stronger everyday, and I hope to start on that Spanish axe you like so well. If it turns out well, I'll post some pic.'s so you can see if you want it or not when it's done.

Later... Capt. Bo

And lets not forget cocoa!!!  I remember reading about Dampier and his mates mixing up impromptu cocoa on the spot from ground beans, sugar, and hot water.

Rumor has it that Williamsburg has come out with a period correct chocolate, which they serve with cyanne pepper... makes one wonder as either Waller or Picard claim that between all the coffee and chocolate of the time, most of London would have been on a full time high!!

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

coffee-house-1668.jpg

Hmmm... I've seen this a bazillion times, but can't say that I've ever seen a color version. Interesting.

Remember to drink you coffee from a bowl! :D

Oh... fwiw, Neumann's Rev War encyclopedia leads me to believe those brass grinders are a little later than our period. He says in the 17th century beans were ground with a mortar and pestle.

My Home on the Web

And lets not forget cocoa!!!  I remember reading about Dampier and his mates mixing up impromptu cocoa on the spot from ground beans, sugar, and hot water.

Rumor has it that Williamsburg has come out with a period correct chocolate, which they serve with cyanne pepper... makes one wonder as either Waller or Picard claim that between all the coffee and chocolate of the time, most of London would have been on a full time high!!

Hector

While watching the Food Network a month or so ago... Ah! around Valentine's Day!... there was a special on Unwrapped that was about chocolate. They went to Williamsburg and showed some guy making chocolate candy from an 18th century recipe. It was pretty cool!

ps - like that sig! I've always wanted to make a banyan and wear that to a pirate event. As I believe I stated before, maybe on the piratebrethren mail list, give me that, and a pipe, and I could be the Dread Pirate Hefner!

My Home on the Web

They went to Williamsburg and showed some guy making chocolate candy from an 18th century recipe.  It was pretty cool!

ps - like that sig!  I've always wanted to make a banyan and wear that to a pirate event.  As I believe I stated before, maybe on the piratebrethren mail list, give me that, and a pipe, and I could be the Dread Pirate Hefner!

Thanks BlackJohn

Banyans were considered undress wear, but not necessarily robes as we think of robes today. Many business men wore them at work and could even visit certain other business men in their banyans. There were loose rules on when and where to go out in them... For instance, say, the Govenor of Williamsburg could receive callers wearing his banyan, but those calling upon him would be dressed properly. A tradesman/shop owner could wear his in shop and go out to another shop where the owners were of equal/lesser station still dressed in his banyan as long as the other shop was within a building or two's distance or directly across the street. If it was across town, he'd put on a proper coat. So onboard ship, it would seem very suitable for the captain to wear his outside of his cabin, if he indeed had a banyan. Silks as well as Indian cottons were usually used for the banyan's fabric. Now off to get a cup of coffee.....

Hector

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

On Coffee:

I posted this over at the piratebrethren forum, but I'll post it here again. This is an early 18thC French spirit/oil burning brazier specifically designed for heating a coffee pot.

dscn5221.jpg

dscn5222.jpg

I rather fancy one for wet Sundays at events.

On BlackJohn Hefner:

I believe the picture which started John down his road toward the Playboy Galleon was this one of a merchant sea-captain, circa 1730

89026509.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Now if we only had documentation on the 17th/18th century bunny costume, i'd be a happy man.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

There must have been some sort of equivalent: Adamites spring to mind, but I have a feeling that the short lived religious craze was more popular with men than women, and of course the religious nature of the Adamites means they had little in real common with bunny girls.

I suspect that the Dread Pirate Hef would have had a few "posture women" about the place. These delightful ladies stripped themselves and performed dances or vignets for brothel patrons, apparently often being borne aloft on a large plate. The semi-dressed lady front loeft in this painting by Hogarth (1733) is thought to be a Posture Woman preparing.

Image_4488.jpg

Perhaps the closest thing to a bunny girl to be found in the GAoP would have been one of the guests at the masked balls, or "Midnight Masques" which were becoming so popular and scandalising decent society in the opening years of the 18thC. In 1711 The Spectator remarked that "Fishes are caught with Hooks, Birds are ensnared with Nets, but Virgins with Masquerades."

The first large scale public masquerades were conceived and arranged by James Heidegger in 1708, and by the 1720s they were hugely popular. Costumes were often based on fantasy and legend, but also sometimes included symbolic animals - perhaps including rabbits. In 1749 a Miss Chudleigh, maid to the Queen, made the papers with her revealing outfit which left her top half more or less naked. Walpole commented that "Miss Chudleigh was Iphigenia but so naked that you could have taken her for Andromeda"

Erm, coffee anyone?

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk