Felt Hat Blank

Today I bought a felt hat blank. Thought I'd make it into a tricorn. Now I realize I don't know how. I've heard of 'steaming' and 'ironing' but I'm not sure how that applies to forming the brim into a tricorn shape. Can anyone tell me the basic process? TIA!

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

good luck to ye i was thinkin of just buying a new tri corn at the next fair

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

I trimmed the edge off with (mine had crimps along the edge) and then simply folded up the sides in a soft fold (so there were no creases). Then I tacked it to the crown with thread and needle. No special steaming or other tricks needed. The hat then molds to your head the more you wear it. I would assume you're speaking of a blank like Jas. Townsend sells, not a beaver or other material... :)

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Today I bought a felt hat blank. Thought I'd make it into a tricorn. Now I realize I don't know how. I've heard of 'steaming' and 'ironing' but I'm not sure how that applies to forming the brim into a tricorn shape. Can anyone tell me the basic process? TIA!

Boil water in a teapot or pot with a lid. Once you have a good amount of stem. Shape hat in the form you want it. Place in the steam until moist and pliable but not soaked. Let dry. Repeat as needed.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg