Hat Blanks

I ordered a hat blank from Townsend & Sons, did about fifteen minutes worth of prilimnary research on the internet, and, after examining some still shots, shaped the hat by:

1: Fillinf a pot with water;

2: potting the pot on the stove;

3: Turning on the burner directly under the pot;

4: Putting a lid on the pot;

5:After a good head of steam built up, I held the part of the brim I wanted to fold over the steam (this got hot on the old fingers!)

After a while, the brim was soft enough to bend without breaking, and so I bent it up. Later, I read that using clothes pins to hold it in place is a good way to save your fingers. Then IO just did the same thing all the way around the hat.

After I had it the way I wanted it, I stitched everything in place, just in case.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I jus' bought a wool felt hat blank at the Escondido faire. Now I want to shape it into a tricorn, and I don't have a brooch or a pin to hold it up. I keep hearing about steaming it into shape. Does anyone here know how to shape hats into tricorns?

Captain Wolfy Wench

You know you could have had Therin of the Hat Matters make it into a tricorn for you. You did get it at the hat booth (the Hat Mattters) right?

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

You know you could have had Therin of the Hat Matters make it into a tricorn for you. You did get it at the hat booth (the Hat Mattters) right?

I don' know, it might have been that booth. They sold the hat blanks for $15, and they lots of other leatherworks there that were rather nice. Argh, I had no idea I could've asked them to make it into a tricorn fer me. Save me some trouble I'm sure I'll get into. >_O

Well, from what I remember, the booth was next to a Tarot Card reader/Fortune Teller, nearby the lifesize wooden horses.

Captain Wolfy Wench

Ye could go to all the trouble of steamin' it, but just runnin' cold water over it will soften it enough to shape it the way ye want. Bin doin this fer thirty years. Jist run cold water on it awhile then bend it the way ye want it, til it holds an let it dry.

I think, therefor I am. Or maybe I just think I am.