TROUSER PROJECT (RH706)

Thought I would start a new thread.

I loaned my slops out ages ago, and have not seen them since...

So I am in desperate need of some clothing to cover my legs.

I have been sitting on RH706 for some time, and I am now taking the plunge.

Let me first say, that I am no tailor. I have only made a few projects, and for those I have "drafted" my own patterns, as, until Reconstructing History came out with their line, nothing caught my eye as acceptable for GAoP.

What that means is , I have less understanding about sewing terms, technique, and pattern reading skills than most of you do. I am working through this as a sheer neophyte.

In short, if I can do it, there is no reason why any of you couldn't too.

So

I have started, and already pestered Kass with questions.

Here is it is now... and I am working on the waistband part now.

TrouserProject.jpg

More updates as I progress...

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 1 month later...

I just finished making my first pair of GAoP leg wear...

I made the "early trousers" from RH706. I used a brown denim-like fabric (100% cotton), as these were to be my test pair, and some buttons I bought at a JoAnn's that I feel are perfect based on some images I saw on a link posted on another thread about period accurate buttons. The buttons are plain circular brass buttons with post type holes for attachment, and are about 5/8 inch (maybe even closer to 1/2 inch). I hand stitched the entire thing (including button holes), in fact I hand stitched the entire pair of pants twice, as the first pair I made, I made too small (aparently I have gained some weight) :rolleyes: Conveniently, the pair that turned out too small (I also think I stitched the seams to wide) fit my girfriend fairly well (they are a bit loose, but not horribly so), so they won't go to waste.

I too had to pester Kass with a question, which I will post here incase anyone else needs to know: Question -> Is the "eyelet" in the back of the waist band a metal eyelet, or a sewn "round buttonhole" style eyelet. Kass's Answer -> The stitched round buttonhole style of eyelet. I wasn't sure at what point in history metal eyelet began to be used...

Other than that one item,, the rest was pretty easy and self explanatory. I'll post a pic later... then I will begin my test jacket also in cotton, then I will be making "the real deals" in wool... I'm considering making breeches next time rather than trousers, but that does mean i am going to have to find/make/buy some stockings to make sure it looks right...

Michael_banner.jpg

I know you fella's are talking about making yer pants/slops from scratch, but in a pinch I had to come up with some for B/F. I went to a thrift shop and scowered the racks for some lightweight fabric pants that was baggy and big enough. I found a pair of I think big ladies pants :rolleyes: and made them into slops for him. At the bottom edge I used it as a hem for some ties, so he can wear them up at the knees or down. Just an idea if you need something in a pinch.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

Wages...would you have preferred I say "Booty Coverings" instead..lol :rolleyes:

(If hadn't read my "introduction" . . . I wear and make kilts. It was a kilt vs. pants joke.)

My booty, my booty.

My booty and me!

I'm sorry, at one forum I frequent, Kilts are the norm and trousers are "The T Word" and pants are "women's clothing."

BUT, trews (a form of tight fitting legged garments, for horse riding, made in tartan of tartan material- NOT the same thing-) are OK.

I fear me kilt be looked up if ever venture in the rigging!

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Ah.,..I see...no just kidding...lol....ahem..I meant about your explaination, nope did not read your intro...sorries! Kilties...well they are very sexy mmm mmmm mmmmm! What's in your sporan? (taken in the text of Capital One pillagers)

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

As promised, here is a photo of the new trousers...

l_3b39a38434d9f2f759be140186396344.jpg

I might replace this photo with a picture of me in the pants later (when I have access to someone to take the picture of me)... But that will happen on another day...

So I updated the photo.. Please ignore the shirt, it was the best thing I have to go with the pants (for the moment)... It is made from 100% natural linen, but the shirt was made from the simplicity pirate costume pattern.

Michael_banner.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ack....

I just got most of the way done my first pair of the late period breeches only to discover that I apparently have "Thunder Thighs". :lol:

I was just about to start sewing the fly flap on, when I thought I would try them on for size... and I discovered that while they would have easily fit my waist, they could not fit over my thighs. The breeches have been hand sewn to this point, and are made of a nice brown 100% wool twill. Is there anyone who has a 34 inch waist and chicken legs that might be interested in them? They are currently about 80 percent finished, and that is how they wil stay unless or until someone expresses some interest in them.

So for my second attempt, I will still use the same size pattern for the waistband, but will try with a larger sized leg pattern and have a fuller leg with more of a gather.

Michael_banner.jpg

Good timing on digging this one back up, as I just finished my first pair of early period breeches (from 706 of course) last week.

Picture004-6.jpg

Picture005-5.jpg

100% wool, combo of machine & hand sewn with linen. The buttons are temporary. I needed these done & wearable by Saturday and simply didn't have the time to get the proper buttons.

The hardest part is that the fellow they were made for is between sizes. I went with the higher size, figuring it won't kill him to gain a few pounds but it would make me nuts to make something that was too small!

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog