Why was the tricorn hat shaped the way they are

Rusty Barrels

So the Rich Peacocks could show off their wigs !

Speaking of rugs I need to get me a wig.., Something in a dark brown shag ;)

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Have ye ever noticed how a properly fit tricorn won't blow off yer noggin in a stiff wind? Aerodynamics (actually, fluid dynamics. But I was an engineering geek). Not that they knew of such back then, just as they didn't fully understand the aerodynamic properties of a sailing ship - if you cut down her quarterdeck and fo'c'sle, she ran a damn sight faster than those what didn't. That's all that mattered to them.

I appreciate a hat that won't blow off when I'm on deck or astride a horse. :)

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I guess it's a military solution. Try to shoot a muzzleloader while wearing a hat with a wide brim. It will be more then just uncomfortable.

With the brim dressed up it's a lot easier not to get in conflict with head and gun and not to burn the hat by pan's flash.

Also manouvering within the lines is easier.

Many tricorns had loops and hooks to release the brim when weather is bad or you stand sentry in the rain.

Jack

Interesting... perhaps a hint lies in the type of hat worn just before the tricorn appeared? Kass?

Although I would agree with the brim being out of the way.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Have ye ever noticed how a properly fit tricorn won't blow off yer noggin in a stiff wind? Aerodynamics (actually, fluid dynamics. But I was an engineering geek). Not that they knew of such back then, just as they didn't fully understand the aerodynamic properties of a sailing ship - if you cut down her quarterdeck and fo'c'sle, she ran a damn sight faster than those what didn't. That's all that mattered to them.

Yes from practical use, the large cartwheel hat I wear is period correct and great for rain, but an absolute nightmare in high winds... a cocked hat on the other hand, not only collects a lot of the rain (which will run out one of the corners when you tilt yer head so you can control it), but doesn't "go" anywhere in the wind...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I agree that folding one side of a round hat up (the left) assists with shouldering a musket. Folding the other side up keeps it from getting scorched by the flash of a musket pan.

Why were all three sides folded up? I can only say that it was a silly fashion. That is the reason that some kids today wear baseball hats backwards or sideways--it is stupid and renders the hat non-functional, but people still do it.

I don't believe that human nature ever changes.

Red Sea Trade

In days of old when ships were bold just like the men that sailed 'em,

and if they showed us disrespect we tied 'em up and flailed 'em,

often men of low degree and often men of steel,

they'd make you walk the plank alone or haul you 'round the keel.

--Adam and the Ants

Interesting... perhaps a hint lies in the type of hat worn just before the tricorn appeared? Kass?

Although I would agree with the brim being out of the way.

The hats that existed just before the three-sided cocked hat were basically un-cocked hats or hats cocked on only one or two sides. So you can definitely see the evolution of the style.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

I agree that folding one side of a round hat up (the left) assists with shouldering a musket. Folding the other side up keeps it from getting scorched by the flash of a musket pan.

Why were all three sides folded up? I can only say that it was a silly fashion. That is the reason that some kids today wear baseball hats backwards or sideways--it is stupid and renders the hat non-functional, but people still do it.

I don't believe that human nature ever changes.

Right. Cocking the left side draws it up out of the way of shoulder arms. Similarly, cocking the right side does the same for advance arms. From there, you have to cock the back for appearances sake!

:)

And I agree completely about human nature.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

The cocked hat resulted in a pointed brim, instead of a rounded brim, and allowing the most discerning gentleman the advantage of squishing the cockroaches hiding in the corners.

... Sorry.

Actually, an added advantage: if your hat is weather-proofed like mine and you do NOT uncock it in the rain, the cocking gives you gutters, allowing you to dictate the directions of the runoff to the fore, to the sou'west, or to the sou'east. Aye.

... But that is not a historical opinion, just a practical one made from first-hand observation.

And I concur -- I have worn my cocked hats on some blustery days. A slight downward tilt of your head redirects the force downward, securing the hat on your head, rather than lifting it upward and away. It really sucks trying to chase your hat, especially when it is is racing across the rolling waves...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I discovered that unique property of the Tricorn when leaving my tent on a rainy day.......

as I came out under my fly, the weight of the water collapsed the front of the fly, and a large amount of water drained directly into my hat......

the corners acted like rain gutters, deflecting the water out of the back of my hat.......pretty cool...but then, that's not gonna work for EVERY type of tricorn, mine was a colonial style, and the cockades sat lower in the back.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

I've had a similar experience. I was wearing a cocked hat with my riding habit when we were doing a Tavern Night at a local historic site. It was pouring rain and the doors to the site were locked because they didn't want the public strolling in early. So I was sheltering under an overhang that wasn't quite as wide as I was. I didn't know it, but the roof was directing buckets of rain right onto my hat...

...and back out the other side. I didn't even know what was happening. My friends were just laughing at me and saying, "Don't move! Don't move!" ;)

Unfortunately I turned my head and got a stream of rain down the center of my back. But I dried off soon enough.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 1 year later...

hmmm, bit o' an old thread perhaps, but I not see that anyone has taken to the task of solving the puzzle: "Why was the tricorn hat shaped the way they are"?

Not sure it be true but read somewhere that it was more a choice of convenience. The way I heard it be that the cocked tricorne came about when large wigs became fashionable on the gents. Fer ye see the tricorn did not fit too very well o'er them big fuzzy wigs but as no proper gent would be wit'out he's hat they took ta carry'in them under thar arms, thus it became easier to do so ifin the brim be folded o'er and that be bring'in about the various shapes of the Tricorn as we be know'n them today.

Well, that least be what I read on some parchment somewhar...

:lol:

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

And never, ever look down at a woman's...um..assets while conversing with her in the rain. The deluge you unleash will be directed directly at said assets. Not good.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

And never, ever look down at a woman's...um..assets while conversing with her in the rain. The deluge you unleash will be directed directly at said assets. Not good.

Not good? Mate that sounds down right delightful. Um, I mean, ohh right. That must be most unfortunate for said lass. My apologies dear, let me help you wit' that eh. :D

Colors of the Sea Nymph

PirateFlagAxesig.jpg

"Let's drink a Damn to the Halter, lads, and them that lives to wear it"--Bartholomew Roberts

"You are a devilish conscience rascal, I am a free prince, and I have as much authority to make war on the whole world, as he who has a hundred sail of ships at sea, and an army of 100,000 men in the field; and this my conscience tells me: but there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure."--Sam Bellamy

• 2 weeks later...

Aye! Tis true! I be wearin a tricorn at the renaissance festival, and even with the strongest breezes me hat stayed firmly on me head.

annebonny2tz2.jpg

"Life's pretty good. And why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all."