Caboots

Well I ordered my pirate boots from Caboots... and if anyone starts with the whole "pirates didn't wear boots" thing I swear I'm gonna keelhaul you... and for the most part I couldn't be happier with the service.

I ordered an 11 1/2, which is what I generally wear, but when I got them they were too big. They sent the right size, it's just that they seem to run a size big, in my experience. So I sent them back to exchange them. This is the point where I usually handle things via email. In my experience, Caboots is HORRIBLE with email correspondance. So if you have questions or problems, just call them. There's barely any wait and they are exceptionally helpful. I think the person that helped me was named Larry, but he seemed genuinely concerned about getting me my order in time. So I did get a 10 1/2 in time for Halloween, and the Jack Sparrow boots I ordered are the most comfortable pair of boots that I've ever worn. So I give em a 9 out of 10, the only thing I wasn't pleased with was the email service. I would definately order from them again, and recommend them to anyone :P

I have four pairs of boots from CA Boots. Every order was sent in a timely manner and each pair were exactly what I expected. I would use the company again and also recommend them to everyone. I'm never happy with the finish of anything when I buy it, so I hit all my boots with sandpaper and refinish them myself with an antique staining process. They are horrible with e mails, but who cares when you can have them on the phone and talk to a real person in less than 10 seconds, I was very happy with that part of my purchases.

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on starting a fund for footwear, so that I can order my boots and shoes at the same time......

so that I always have the option of either, depending on whether I wanna break with history, and go theatrical or not......

best of both worlds, as it were!

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• 7 months later...

I emailed back and forth with them and got replies within 24 - 48 hours (and I suspect the wait had more to do with different time zones than anything else), they were extremely helpful and gove out very good clear information.

I'm saving up money to get a custom pair of Sparrow or Turner boots from them. They're both equally expensive so I'll decide which model I want when I have the money :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

I'm actually on the verge of ordering a custom pair from them, but now that I've read that they run a bit big size wise, I'm going to hold off untill I've spoken to them on the phone.

I normally wear a EUR 38, which is a 6.5, 7 in US sizes, but they first told me it would correspond to a US 7.5 over email.

I'm a bit worried now, because I don't want to end up with a pair that is too big yet again B)

If'n ye get the custom order I don't think ye'll have that issue since yer givin' them your foot measurements. That is what I did years ago and the boots turned out superb. In fact, I will be orderin' another pair coming up.

Now, if we kin convince em to start makin' the shoes we need...

thesagelion.com

Thank ye,

Captain Sage

thesagelion.comthesagelion.com

You know, I sent them a message a few months ago about making shoes for pirate reenactors, but never heard anything back.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I wonder what there response would be if enough people emailed or called. They currently make "off the shelf" shoes for ACW - granted, ACW is way more popular than GAoP...

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

If'n ye get the custom order I don't think ye'll have that issue since yer givin' them your foot measurements. That is what I did years ago and the boots turned out superb. In fact, I will be orderin' another pair coming up.

Now, if we kin convince em to start makin' the shoes we need...

thesagelion.com

Well I gove them my foot measurement, along with the size I usually wear in both UK (5) and EUR (38) sizes.

Over email a girl called April told me I need a US 7.5, which corresponds with a EUR 38 according to my Moleskine size chart (which hasn't let me down so far).

When I read here that their sizes usually run big I decided to give them a ring.

After having been passed around and being kept on hold, I was told I have a 5.5 in their sizes. Which corresponds with a EUR 36, that's two sizes smaller than I usually wear.

Still, the fact that two people in the same company have given me a different size doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I'm not entirely sure I want to order from them now because $ 435 is a LOT of money to waste on a pair of boots that won't fit ><

:wub:

And in the never ending saga of Caboots not being competent when it considers sizing: my dad decided to drop them a line, giving them all the info that they need and asking what size I have (without telling them my name).

The same girl that told me I was a 7,5 now tells my dad I need a size 6. AND tried to make him fall for spending an extra $ 100 on special custom measurements, while he's given her ALL the information already AND told her the only thing we need is the size of the boot.

I am NOT impressed. You'd think they'd be able to be consistent on size matters!

So far Michelle told me I'm a 5,5 and April first told me I'm a 7,5 and then that I'm a 6. Seriously, NOT impressed.

Hilde,

Angel and I both have a pair from caboots, mine from a third-party supplier and hers directly from caboots. Mine are a bit snug, exact fit and big calves while hers fit pretty good, bigger size. Angel also works with shoes. Given her experience all around she said you should run a (US)6.5 but would probably want to go with a (caboots)7.5 for comfort. You can always pad the socks if need be. We're happy with ours, but if your getting upset with caboots, I'd recommend that you don't go with them. If your unhappy with the company you'll probably be unhappy with the boots. I just chalk it up to the company being in Texas... We're still trying to get out of here, probably make it out this spring :lol:

If you do go with caboots measure loosely around the calves, they don't leave much room outside of what you specify. Also, check their return policy before ordering.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pogue

Conceptual Simplicity, Structural Complexity, Achieves a Greater State of humanity.

Hilde,

Angel and I both have a pair from caboots, mine from a third-party supplier and hers directly from caboots. Mine are a bit snug, exact fit and big calves while hers fit pretty good, bigger size. Angel also works with shoes. Given her experience all around she said you should run a (US)6.5 but would probably want to go with a (caboots)7.5 for comfort. You can always pad the socks if need be. We're happy with ours, but if your getting upset with caboots, I'd recommend that you don't go with them. If your unhappy with the company you'll probably be unhappy with the boots. I just chalk it up to the company being in Texas... We're still trying to get out of here, probably make it out this spring :ph34r:

If you do go with caboots measure loosely around the calves, they don't leave much room outside of what you specify. Also, check their return policy before ordering.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Pogue

Thanks Pogue :)

I actually heard from several people that own a pair of caboots boots to just go with a 7.5

To be honest there's not much choice in companies if you don't have a men's 8 or bigger sizes.

I'll just have a good think about it before I order :)

• 4 months later...

Well I've had my custom pair of Sparrow boots for a while and I love them.

I went with Pogue and Angel's advice to go with the womens 7,5 and I haven't regretted that :)

Here's some things I experienced with the boots that seem worthwhile sharing:

You need one of those long shoe pull on things (bare with me, my first language is Dutch and I have no clue what schoenlepel is in English) to get in your boots. Trust me, it's easier to get in them that way, much much easier.

Also, if you break them in, wear thin socks.

I got mine just when it started freezing and wore them with snow socks (which are MUCH thicker than my normal socks) which ment I had to break them in all over again with normal socks.

(if you end up doing what I did, I advise plasters to put on your heels preventively, or sports tape to put over your socks so you don't get blisters while rebreaking them in).

Photos when I finally get 'round to taking some :)

I ordered an 11 1/2, which is what I generally wear, but when I got them they were too big.  They sent the right size, it's just that they seem to run a size big, in my experience.   :ph34r:

Tis me experience that conistent shoe sizes are a sea yarn. Nothing more than some myth they hand out to land lubbers.

More often than not, I be a see'n shoes or boots from two different manufactures which be labeled the same size (such as 11) and then they really turn out not to be the same size as the other pair of size "11" from another company. I'll be durned if they don't almost always need an exchange be it a whole or half size one way or ta other. The funny point I reckon is that small operations makin period shoes seem to be more on target in sizes than anybody else that I be coming across.

Oh, and I be railin against all footware be it, Nike, Hush Puppy or whatever, when it comes to sizes thar aren't exactly rules they be more like guidelines.

-Greydog

:ph34r:

schoenlepel= In English- Shoehorn

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!

I've got a pair of pirate boots from CABoots as well. Got them 4 or so years back, while there wasn't as much choice.

Foot sizing worked out OK, but the design had a few problems.

My boots were not just for walking about, but to fence in as well. I custom ordered most of the boot from heel type (wider for more stability), bucket top length, to toe type.

The drawings of the toes didn’t really turn out the way they looked or were described.

I wanted a flat end tip, but it ended up much narrower than I wanted. From BidgeMunky’s review I noticed he had a similar problem

The boots are great. Excellent to wear all day, walking or fencing. Just the ends aren’t exactly what I wanted.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)