Buying this shirt, bad or good deal?

ViVi Trottsky

Like I said thar in the sub topic I didn't know wharelse to put this so if it be in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Red Pyrate Shirt

Do yee think its a good or bad deal? There also be white and black to choose from, which color should I get?

For me costume I'll have one of those shirts, black jeans, boots, one of my many bandanas, and hopefully a tricorner hat I saw on that same site.

TRICORNER HAT

Bad or good deal?

Thank the for yee help.

:lol:

-ViVi

We have several of these shirts - they work well. They look far better if you take a seam ripper or X-Acto and cut off the front ruffle. Then it looks more piratical. The tricorn, there are better options out there - this one doesn't hold up well. Try to get a felt one instead (JA Townsend has some good options). All the colors are good - I would go with the red if you're wearing black pants.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

As Hurricane put it, you are going to have to do some work to that shirt...

sbr.jpg

In general, GAoP shirts did not have fall collars, there were stand up collars. And, there is a relation ship to the size of the collars and the cuffs for our period as well.

And, the cut is more like a modern shirt trying to be a pirate shirt.... the sleeve seem should come down a bit from the point of the shoulder around 6". That red shirt has the "point" up around where a modern shirt has it.

Its basically a big square with triangular shaped guss...

oh hell..... just take a look here

http://www.esotericcreations.com/index.php...rticle=12&mn=ht

The cuffs look like (on the red one) that they are elasitcated....

I bet my paycheck its made of cotton too....

But hey, if you are just getting it "for fun, festivals and frivality" I think it would work. If you want to (now or eventually) have an authentic GAoP pirate kit, you will have to get a correct shirt.

Just my two cents....

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Again... we kind of need to know your intention to give you good answers to your questions.....

I re-read your post, and when I see

For me costume I'll have one of those shirts, black jeans, boots, one of my many bandanas, and hopefully a tricorner hat I saw on that same site.

It makes me think that you just want something "piratey" to have fun with on Halloween or a festival....

And I DONT mean to sound smug or anything, as there is always room for one more pirate aboard ship, no matter what there focus is.....

But with the tricorne, I think Hurricane gave you some excellent advice!

and if your are intested in GAoP headgear in general...

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/tricorne.htm

Hurricane's link takes you to here

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=249

For $20. and about 2 hours work, you will have a hat your will be so proud of, you will post pictures of it here on this site.

If you search the threads, there are several on how to shape your own tricorn....

Good luck!

Greg aka GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Like I said thar in the sub topic I didn't know wharelse to put this so if it be in the wrong place feel free to move it.

Red Pyrate Shirt

Do yee think its a good or bad deal? There also be white and black to choose from, which color should I get?

TRICORNER HAT

Bad or good deal?

Thank the for yee help.

:lol:

-ViVi

I think Hurricane is right about the hat....I believe it is a foam type construction and will not last......besides, to my way o' think'n, it looks beat up.......I'm think'n a successful pirate would be wearing someone elses new hat and not an old wore out hat.

Tis just my thoughts.

Live long and Plunder Well!

KP

Okay, historically accurate dress aside -- just from a construction and materials standpoint, this shirt looks like crap. I wouldn't pay a dime for it. It's crap fabric (a "poly-cotton blend" can mean many things), and it may not survive the first washing.

So maybe you paid only $23 for a shirt, but it's a rental if you only get to wear it once before it's destroyed.

Add to that, it's really tacky. As my husband would put it, "It's gone beyond tacky all the way into "sticky"!" A red shirt with red ruffles and red lace has absolutely no style. It just screams "cheap".

Page down a bit on this page. It's only Townsend and they're don't sell the most historically accurately or well-made clothing in the world, but their shirts are at least made out of something akin to a real fabric and they will take washing. They even make one with a ruffle.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Why wouldn't a pirate wear his OWN new hat? I'd wager they didn't steal everything... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Now Empress don't be modest! Sell him one of your shirts... none better on the market...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

In general, GAoP shirts did not have fall collars, there were stand up collars.

Sorry, Greg. There's not enough evidence to make that kind of sweeping statement. I can actually think of more instances of shirts with fold-over collars in the GAoP than not. Both fold-over collars AND band collars existed at this time. And there are both wide and narrow cuffs as well.

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Well... it is a "costume" shirt.... So it is intended to be worn only a few times.....

I did a quick search for Rubies Costumes... then followed some of the links....

The price is comparible with other "costume" shirts....

Anyway with Halloween coming up, you might be able to find one localy and check out the quality...

If it is something you only want to wear a few times, then it's OK.....

If you want something that will last longer, or is more period correct, then you will have to pay a little more. (Jas. Townsend, etc...)

If you are a male Pyrate.... you might want to cut off the ruffles like Hurrican sujested.... Ruffled front shirts are a really hard look for men to carry off with out looking too "poofie" B) It can be done tho.....

There was a pretty decient costume pirate shirt at the local Super Walmart. It was cream colored with no ruffles. I believe it was under $30. I think something like it would be a little more "manly" than the lacey red top. You could always ad a red sash for some color.

Let's make a deal....

I'll buy you a round of rum if you don't buy it! :huh:

The red makes my eyes burn and my teeth ache when I look at it... :)

Kass darlin' I wish you would offer some simple white shirts, slops and or breeches for folks to buy. It really is the basis for any outfit.

If nothing else maybe a picture tutorial of the different "correct" or even acceptable variations of shirts, slops and breeches as were common. This could include the variations as worn by a common man or whom ever. This way folks can compare and see the big difference between a correct repro and a costume shirt.

As far as hats go, buy a blank for $30 and form it your self. You can make a tricorn or run it over with your car and shoot a hole through it.

I just got a blank from these folks on a whim and have no complaints

http://www.bradleycompanyofthefox.com/main.html

Take care and remember, there's noting worse than regretting a hasty made purchase.

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Very nice! I might just buy a blank from them to muck about with me own tricorn. :)

Backfill story: Rumba finds me leather tricorn a bit too shiny for public display. I disagree, sighting that if the lasses are blinded, so better are my chances! :huh:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

People, people!

If you read the post he's wearing jeans with it. I assume it's a short term (i.e. Halloween) type idea, or a starter outfit. We all didn't start with historically correct garb - well the vast majority here didn't. When we did our wedding in July we had plenty of these shirts on hand for the wedding guests (we had 70, so they couldn't all look as fab as we did :). These do wash well. They maintain their shape. Would I wear one now? No! But all of those who were just casual pirates or just starting out loved it. It looked great in photos. It was comfortable.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

In that case, go Goth, and nab all the dreadlocked girlies you can, mate. B)

ahum, some of us dreadlocked girlies wouldn't fall for a bright shirt. :lol:

Seriously though, the costume shirt at MalWart is less than $20, cotton & much more manly "pirate" looking. I'm all for people having fun on halloween with costumes but that is more goth vampire than pirate.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

In that case, go Goth, and nab all the dreadlocked girlies you can, mate.  B)

ahum, some of us dreadlocked girlies wouldn't fall for a bright shirt. :lol:

Seriously though, the costume shirt at MalWart is less than $20, cotton & much more manly "pirate" looking. I'm all for people having fun on halloween with costumes but that is more goth vampire than pirate.

I bought 2 of them....around $12.......Dyed one purple...they make great loaners for newly recruited pirates and they are thin and cool.

Live Long and Plunder Well!

KP