Group Justaucorps Project?

If you have been a member of this pub for any length of time, you will know that I am a big fan of "group projects".

I have Reconstructing History's 1680s Justaucorps pattern (#701) and am going to make it my "fall/winter" project.

If anyone else has this pattern, and a camera and wants to "join in" we can post our individual progress, and get help right here at the forum.

Anyone else game?

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, Greg! (of course I would think it's a great idea... :ph34r: )

I will watch this thread and jump in and provide help and moral support whenever I can. And buy you all a drink when you're finished! :ph34r:

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Too many costuming projects and not enough time! :ph34r:

I would LOVE to join in on this except that next year is the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars movie and I'm leading a couple of group projects for that. I doubt I'll be out of "Star Wars mode" until next summer. :ph34r:

However if you do get a group going on this, I promise to check here often to see how the project is moving along. It sounds like a great idea. B)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I am... Rats wants some common stuff and that would be the ideal pattern to work from for the look.... I think I'll start and then he can finish with the pricketty stitchin.....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

When should we start?

How bout in two weeks? That will give some folks that are thinking about getting the pattern enough time.......

Greg

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

When should we start?

How bout in two weeks? That will give some folks that are thinking about getting the pattern enough time.......

Greg

Ack!! Two weeks??

um... how about Nov.1?? I have two midshipmen, and one First Lieutenant to complete by Oct 1. And then I must help Skittles, and Cheeks with their ball gowns for RF2...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I am game. While I love and adore the (rather fancy, one might say "foppish") coat I made, I still want to make a plain, non-descript one.

This gives me time to purchase the pattern and find the perfect fabric. And perfect my prickedy stitching techniques.

The Confederate cavalry shell jacket will just have to wait a little longer...

I would LOVE to join in on this except that next year is the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars movie and I'm leading a couple of group projects for that. I doubt I'll be out of "Star Wars mode" until next summer. 

My scanner is out of whack (our computer armoire was designed for the scanner to be 6'1" from the USB port, and we only have a 6' cord, so it is continually getting pulled out)...

But as soon as I reconnect it, I want to scan and post the picture I have of me in the Stormtrooper costume I made -- entirely from scratch -- in 1977. I sold it for $50, and then made another (which I wore to the opening of Emipre Strikes Back) then sold that one, too. This was when everyone was trying to make Jedi cloaks -- I was making Stormtooper outfits. (insert "smug" emoticon here)

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Woo Hoo! Look at me! I just ordered the pattern!

No turning back now...

What? Only three yards of fabric ("at least")? My previous coat pattern called for 6.5! I passed on an excellent fabric only two weeks ago... I'll pick it up today -- at least it will serve as my lining!

WHAT?!? 150 buttons???? Jesu Cristu! Oh, my poor aching fingers... I fear dreaded days of endless prickedy stitching ahead...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Oye Pete!

If I remember right, "Bleed em before breakfast!" Says the good Doctor Easterly!

No wait! That's medicine!

Well the sooner the better!

Fear not the Prickiddy Stitch!

See... See the Prickiddy Stitch!

But more important.......

BE THY PRICKIDDY STITCH !

Rats

What kind of Reb shell jacket?

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

What kind of Reb shell jacket?

Cavalry. The horsey-guys.

I actually need to make two... My "best" Confederate infantry jacket is at least a dozen seasons old. It's high time I replaced it.

And I cannot carry my Confederate Sharps carbine (!!!) nor my LeMat revolver (!!!!!) on the field without a cavalry uniform. I have ALL the accoutrements for Dismounted Cav, just not the jacket... which is typically considered the easiest thing to obtain.

Anyway... just back from errands. I picked up some material which will serve as a lining -- either on this coat (justacorps), or another. I also identified some EXCELLENT buttons. In addition, I also found two complimentary fabric remnants. These would make a fantastic coat & complimentary lining, depending on actual yardage required. Since I am on a tight budget the next couple weeks, I stashed them in a location where I hope even the store employees will not locate them. Yes, you heard me right: I buried my treasure, and I hope to go dig it back up in a couple weeks.

Of interest to the Archangel crew, I also used the photo kiosk to get reprints of recent photos, and burn a CD of everything on my camera's memory card (they will be ready tonight). This means I will be posting much-requested Ren Faire photos shortly...

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I want to scan and post the picture I have of me in the Stormtrooper costume I made -- entirely from scratch -- in 1977. I sold it for $50, and then made another (which I wore to the opening of Emipre Strikes Back) then sold that one, too. This was when everyone was trying to make Jedi cloaks -- I was making Stormtooper outfits. (insert "smug" emoticon here)

That be a right bargin fer 'trooper armor, Capt'n Straw. An untrimmed set will set you back $500-$600 these days (although I can get a set for arund $460 - if I could afford it ;) ).

Let's move our Star Wars talk to "Beyond Pyracy" and not take over this fine idea o'our shipmates. Even tho' I be not participatin', I will be takin' notes. ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

*Ahem*

This is me not talking about Star Wars Stormtroopers or Civil War Cavalry (but there is so much more to say...)

As I wait for my pattern to arrive (it is apparently speeding on its way to me...), anyone care to throw out ideas they already have for fabrics or buttons?

I picked up some fancy material (I was no longer happy with the stuff I had seen earlier), although I had mentioned doing a rather "plain" thing... so why was I thinking of a fancy lining?

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Capn' Pete

Fancy can be tricky... as fancier materials generally would call for fancier buttons and trims, which can be harder to pull of well than a justaucorps made out of plainer materials..

Really nice textiles are tricky as "print" patterns are hard to find in a reasonalbly authentic pattern. That being said, I have found some folks that reproduce our textiles and are quite nice....

Check out some of them on my resources page here http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/Links.htm

Take a look at the E-Luxus site, I drool over that Bizarre pattern (that was only around during the GAoP!), I think it is meager $400 or so a meter.

That being said... Here is some interesting wool

http://tinyurl.com/hva49

I bought some of this a while back... same vendor

http://tinyurl.com/okvtv

Wow... that 100% wool grosgrain! A hard weave to find in silk or wool. I may be using it for this project, but I haven't made up my mind yet...

4 Yards of a nice royal blue, presently $10

http://tinyurl.com/nt3vh

6 1/2 Yards of Navy Blue... That is enough for a justaucorps and breeches... $10!

http://tinyurl.com/mt9nk

I hate reposting, but this is such a good photo that I gotta

9-10-2006-220.jpg

Here are some nice justaucorps in simple wool fabrics that give you several options for trims and buttons.

Captain Sterling went for dorset buttons, Kudos to the Captain for that choice, as I had been thinking about some too <_< You could also go with a "simple" metal button, or cover wood moulds with fabric for fabric covered buttons.

I have a hard time finding decent trim... Captain Sterling may be able to help you find some period style braid/trim to edge your button holes to give it even a little more pizazz.

Greg

Kudos to her for that choice as I had been thinking about some too <_<

... Captain Sterling may be able to help you find some period style braid/trim to edge your button holes to give it even a little more pizazz.

Yes indeed Kudos to Kass for certain... she is always soooo helpful with suggestions for yer kit!!! Me and my crewe can hardly thank her enough...

As for me helping you find braid, I can try my best, if not I'll ask Kass... :lol:

Crewe of the Archangel

The pattern has arrived.... Repeat: The pattern has arrived.

All my attention is bent toward this weekend's Civil War Reenactment... After that, I will turn it toward this new coat.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Okay, those who aren't going to Ojai, the MD and PA Ren Faires, or Civvie stuff this weekend, feel free to start.

The rest of y'all, Monday the 25th is your start date. I'll be around to help if you need me.

Remember -- read through all the instructions BEFORE you cut anything. Don't make me have to tell you twice. :lol:

I wish this were the proper outlet for me to bitch and moan about how little time I have available to prepare for this weekend...

And, as if I did not have enough to do already (it ALL has to be done tonight), I am going to try to stop at the Fabric Store where I stashed two bolts of complimentary fabric. Having read through many (not all) of Kass' instructions, my earlier "buried treasure" of fabric might serve me well.... if no one has dug it up.

So, Now I have to ask myself: am I making one justacorps or two? Is anyone else also stupidly considering making two of these simultaneously?

Capt. Sterling: While I am a big boy and will ultimately do whatever the hell I please, I would appreciate hearing any suggestions or guidelines you might personally wish to offer considering Archangel standards of dress as they might relate to this specific pattern. It's easier to know these at the front end, than learning "should haves" after I'm finished.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

So, Now I have to ask myself: am I making one justacorps or two? Is anyone else also stupidly considering making two of these simultaneously?

Capt. Sterling: While I am a big boy and will ultimately do whatever the hell I please, I would appreciate hearing any suggestions or guidelines you might personally wish to offer considering Archangel standards of dress as they might relate to this specific pattern. It's easier to know these at the front end, than learning "should haves" after I'm finished.

Actually the same pattern makes a splendid sleeved waistcoat as well so I will be making up a whooooolllle lot of these....so call me stupid.. :lol: .. oi!

Right your are Cap'n Pete... I would like to see your coat in 100% wool for the outer fabric... portraying a crewe mainly from the UK, wool would have been a great choice as the English wools were considered, at one point, BETTER than the silks they produced... with a 100% linen lining... as to colour I shall leave that up to you as I believe you won't go insane... ahem... I hope.... ;) If you want, you could even try getting together with Rats or the Marches and they will guide you in yer pricketty stitching... (captain sniggering) and if it helps... Mr. March will be in hunter green, Rats will be in the tan or he is having another dark brown coat made as well, I believe the gunner opted for red, the middies are in Navy blue, and the common sailors will be wearing the slops contracts greys.... as for me... well what's ever left over... ;) As for narrow wares trim, if you want to have it on your coat, just pm me and I can explain a bit about it...btw, got the letter with the pics... Thank you so very, very much... will pm you also about the notices...grand idea... and what good fun we could have with them with kids at an event..!! Well done!!

Crewe of the Archangel

The crew of the Archangle has been very interesting to watch via the web. I applaud your efforts as they seem to be really paying off.

I particularly like how the "new guys" ask a lot of questions and are seeking advise before they make purchases or sewing errors.

Can't wait to see the Archangle website....

But before that comes up, maybe you can get a crew forum under the pirate crews section here?

Keep up the good work guys!

Greg

I particularly like how the "new guys" ask a lot of questions and are seeking advise before they make purchases or sewing errors.

That's because they know what the Captain will do to them if they don't ! B)B)B)

... I would like to see your coat in 100% wool for the outer fabric... portraying a crewe mainly from the UK, wool would have been a great choice as the English wools were considered, at one point, BETTER than the silks they produced... with a 100% linen lining...

Check. Check. And check.

...  as to colour I shall leave that up to you as I believe you won't go insane... ahem... I hope.... 

I was thinking Neon Yellow, to make it easy to spot me, should a rogue wave wash me overboard.

Oh... perhaps I should insert a laughing smiley icon here to prevent an unwanted cardiac seizure... :huh:

Mr. March will be in hunter green, Rats will be in the tan or he is having another dark brown coat made as well...

Rather fond of the nondescript tan myself... at least that's what I had in mind when this topic came up, and -- again -- it is the justacorps that got me coveting this historic period in the first place (Yes: 'twas the fashion what drew me into piracy. That, and the flintlocks).

... As for narrow wares trim, if you want to have it on your coat, just pm me and I can explain a bit about it...

Might just do that. I will likely make this a very plain coat.

I think coat #3 is likely to be a tad more fancy. Still have to go get that "buried treasure" fabric....

I just wanted to be sure he didn't object to the liberal use of sequins, and miniature electric flashing fiber optic lights throughout the garment. I didn't see the omission of these things specified... just as long as I use "wool" and "linen." Ah, I can see it now... a new nickname: "The Electric Pirate."

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I just wanted to be sure he didn't object to the liberal use of sequins, and miniature electric flashing fiber optic lights throughout the garment. I didn't see the omission of these things specified... just as long as I use "wool" and "linen." Ah, I can see it now... a new nickname: "The Electric Pirate."

Ack!!!! no smiley icon... what was that mention about...unwanted cardiac seizure...??? :huh:

Hey GOF, you mentioned something about a crewe forum ?? How does that work....

Crewe of the Archangel