i love these socks!

i've never actually done this before, but i found a piratey product with which i am so very pleased that i actually feel compelled to share my joy with all of you.

Before Pennsic, i ordered a few pair of the striped heavy cotton socks from Jas. Townsend and Sons. For those of you who aren't familiar with Pennsic, it's an enormous event, and involves an amazing amount of walking, most of it on very rocky paths.

These socks are absolutely fantastic! They breathe like you're barefoot, yet cushion like sport socks. Plus, they look beautifully period. i purchased the red and black striped socks, and i tea dyed them to tone down the red, to suit my own costuming tastes.

As a side note, i wear these socks with garters just below my knees, which are actually quite comfortable - you'll forget you're wearing them. They are not meant to stay up on their own.

- Weasel

They are indeed fine socks - I switched to them because they do breathe - even when worn inside boots. So much more comfortable.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Very good to hear because a pair of those same socks where on my order from JAS Townsends.

Are they warmer then a regular pair of socks? (I am in So. California and I get hot feet)

Also, you mentioned garters since you wear them under your knee what about above the knee, would you need garters to keep them up?

~Tora~

:huh:

Very good to hear because a pair of those same socks where on my order from JAS Townsends.

Are they warmer then a regular pair of socks? (I am in So. California and I get hot feet)

Also, you mentioned garters since you wear them under your knee what about above the knee, would you need garters to keep them up?

~Tora~

;)

Maybe others with these socks can confirm or deny this, but the garters were definitely needed, although the socks are certainly long enough that they go over my knees.

Pictures! Links! Are you sure Townsend carries em? cushioned stockings, boy do I need a pair... high heeled buckled shoes just ain't comfortable!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I rather fancy those striped stockings from Townsend too, they are my favorites, but I have always wondered whether they are historically correct? Did they have striped socks back then, and are there any historical pics of them? This may be a stupid question, but I just honestly don't know, and I would like to own a pair of them meself. :P

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)