Wigs???

Rateye

I've heard they were actually such an important item, it was even a targeted item to be lifted?

Any oponions?

I've always thought them as way too dandy. Remember Tim Roth's character Archie in Rob Roy? Whata bastard!

I was almost thinking about having one to flop about, while I'm half in the bag (In character that is)

But wasn't the comodore also wearing one in POTC2 during the barfight?

Any thoughts?

Anyone ever wear one??

Rats

Actually I probably should have posted this on the Captain Twill line. Mayhaps a moderator can bump it???

Huh...I don't know. Perhaps the more sophisticated pirates or privateers. I'm afraid I 'don know much about wigs. B)

BlackBess-1.jpg

"Life's good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate after all."

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. I have not yet found "that perfect wig" but when I do, I plan to give it a chance.

My pirate outfit is rather along the lines of something a "dandy" might choose to wear. A bastard? Indeed, Sir! Call me that if ye will -- and I'll put a hole through ye with my dandy shiny steel Murdock flintlock! -- Sounds like a rather good pyratical character attitude, if you ask me. What better ruse to take your opponent off guard, than by appearing as a genteel mannered non-pirate "dandy" guy?

I do not have the dates in front of me now (although I own an excellent reference text on this), but specific styles of wigs were worn by men for specific limited periods. Thus, the particular wig style dictates a particular set of dates, as does a tricorne hat, for example. I hesitate to jump into the wig crowd without more careful comparison against the rest of my outfit, for fear of combining too many anachronisms, especially as I have already combined several -- oh, what the hell.

Hoping I am not asking an offensive or awkward question (Is that your natural hair color? Are those breasts real?), is Capt. Sterling wearing a wig in his signature picture? You need only look at that photo to be convinced that a wig can really make the outfit!

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

I couldn't agree more!

The angle I'm looking at is for a different persona,( or a nice twist,) and rather than always donning a hat, to have a wig that I can constantly struggle with while in a stuper.

Let's face it, the drunkin' doctor is always a good character for any time period.

Plus if I want to go real dandy, it's available.

I would be interested to see that timeline also!

Cheers!

Rats

Stay tuned.

I just returned from summer vacation.... And I am now back at Schloss Calder in Germany.

I have been working on an update to Gentlemenoffortune.com which will include wig/hairstyles for 1690-1720

Greg aka GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I have been working on an update to Gentlemenoffortune.com which will include wig/hairstyles for 1690-1720

Awesome!

My reference is Kohler's A History of Costume, which has been my costuming Bible for almost 30 years. But the commentary on wigs is threaded throughout a couple chapters, and I dread the prospect of finding all the fiddly parts and re-typing it.

However, it is excellent for answering specific questions...

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

It's not so simple... the text is scattered across chapters. Discussion revolves around men's fashions, and wig styles are interspersed as appropriate continously.

I will re-read the relevant portions of the book and determine how the Pub can be best served by what is contained therein... It may not turn out to be so daunting a task.

But I am looking forward to seeing what will be provided by Gentleman of Fortune

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

The GAOP is a pretty interesting and exciting time for fashions.

We have the Baroque period Waning at the begining of the GAOP and the Rococo waxing at the end of the GAOP... and during there is a mix of styles...

Hairstyles could be determined by

1) what date you want to do (ie 1695 or 1722)

2) Your age... older men seem to cling to the older styles

3) Your location.... fashions, in general, started in France and moved their way outward. So a man in Boston in April of 1707 would be "behind in fashion" of Somone in Paris during the same time

4) and your status. More money = the ability to follow fashions more easily.

more to come....

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Yes folks I am wearing a wig and it does make a huge difference especially for the time frame I portray and for my persona's background. The style I picked was based on a series of engravings from Caspar Luyken's Gallery of Late Seventeenth-Century Costume...Which show the less formal style of curl. The "Naomi" wig from Coxworks or Coxworld (google it should come up... I will try to find the link and post it here if you like) is the one I have chosen to purchase and even Kass thought it was darn good except that it isn't human hair. The problem with human hair is it pretty much costs an arm and a leg... most wigs, even prior to styling start around $500. :lol: so this is a good place to start while you save those pennies...

I am growing my own hair, which is blond, but depending on the event or scenerio, will continue to wear the proper wig. Dark hair and wigs was considered very fashionable ( I think it was Pepys that speaks about colour), wigs were valuable... if you could afford one, you most likely had one... the term "big Wig" actually developed during the time frame, according to the folks at Williamsburg. The more money you had/higher status, the bigger, longer and more full your wig. I believe there was even a criminal slang term for stealing a wig... as children were perched on adult shoulders to grab both hats and wigs. Remember these things could be sold for money!

In order to get a wig to fit its best (remember there is no elastic in this time frame) wigs were best worn over shaved heads... though not everyone did this it was pretty common....

As shown in Leloir's plates some folks were already tying up their wigs in ques, or had ribbons in place, like lovers' knots... BUT this does not seem to be the common style until later... (although being out in the wind in one of these babies, you certainly think the later styles soon developed because you swallow most of your hair when you try to speak :rolleyes::lol: )

NOW this is JUST AN ASSUMPTION... one would think if you could not afford a wig they would at least grow their hair to look like one.... but I HAVE NOTHING TO BACK THIS UP.

And Rats, as far as uncovering and having your wig go with it, one almost wonders if that didn't happen at times... At one point, where the "bangs" of the wig rose higher and higher into horns, hats were kept under your arm and carried...not worn....there are illustrations from the period of men, with wigs sitting at percarious angles and the ideal was for the wig NOT TO LOOK NATURAL... shows you could afford one....

As far as the overall look for anyone's kit... unless you can work out why your character wouldn't wear one for a correct reason... Hair and glasses as well as shoes and undergarments (mainly for women in this area) ARE CRUCIAL TO GETTING YOUR LOOK CORRECT....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

"Tom Brown encountered 'a pick-pocket, who measuring my estate by the length and bulkiness of my new wig (which God knows is not paid for) he made a dive into my pocket.' Thieves targeted the wigst themselves. Small boys in baskets would ride on the heads of adults and snatch the wigs of passers-by. Edward Short of St. Martin-in-the-Fields was indicted for robbing Peter Newell on the highway 'of a hat value 2s and a periwig value 5s.'

Thomas Giblet was 'going under Ludgate with a perriwig in a band-box' when he was 'thrust up to the wall by the prisoner and some persons, who took the wig from him.'

When John Matthews was condemned 'for privately stealing 24 ounces of hair out of Mr. Trottes' shop, and 2 perrruques out of Mr. Newth's, he admitted that 'being without employment, and in great straights, he had of late years given himself to this way of stealing hair and perruques out of a barber's shop.

"At first a wig had been a mark ofa gentleman, but gradually wigs permeated down to the lower levels of society. Men thought nothing of combing their wigs in public. The breeze on the Thames made travelling about the metropolis hazardous for wig wearers and, of course, wigs presented a sorry sight in the rain."

Maureen Waller, 1700 Scenes from London Life..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

When researching wigs.. terms to check out are

Traveling Wigs

Campaign

Alonge

Perriwig

Peruque

Pole Locks

Bobs

and

Dildos (yeah that's right...it is a type of curl)

Crewe of the Archangel

There are some really wonderful examples of fancy wigs in Roman Polanski's 'PIRATES', starring Walter Mathau. Several different styles, including the "horned" variety. All of them huge, and probably very expensive.

>>>>> Cascabel

I'm looking for more of a hair piece. I want something that I can attach to a head scarf that when worn with the scarf will give me the appearance of shoulder length hair. Anybody know of a source?

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

off hand, no not really, but I would try googling Hair Extensions, and you might come up with something that you could stitch to your scarf...

Crewe of the Archangel

Gramercy Cap'n fer tha suggestion. Turns out what I think I'm looking for is a Hair Extension. Found a site with them listed, so at least now I'll know what to ask for when I visit a local wig shop.

http://www.bestwigoutlet.com/_e/dept/34/Ha..._Extensions.htm

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."