Reconstructing History Breecehs/Slops Pattern

Kass, If I read the assembly instruction right, there is no 'band' at the bottom of the breeches legs to gather the legs into. Is that right? Also, what material(s) would be appropriate for the Trousers version? Is canvas the only way to go (as in the admiralty contracts) or would linen have also been used? Looking at the pictures of the period, some of them don't look (to me) like the way canvas would 'hang'. But maybe that's wishful thinking. Anyway, would appreciate your thoughts. TIA.

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Hi Mick,

The bottoms of the breeches can be gathered into a band of the same material as the breeches, into a band of narrow ware (like twill tape) or left "open". It's your choice. All three were done on the extant examples I studied.

For Trousers, linen was definitely used. At this point in history, canvas IS linen, you see. And canvas wasn't as stiff back then as modern canvas is (we're not talking about sailcloth here). So your assessment is correct.

Did you read my post in Plunder about the mistake on the back with the sizes? If not, go there and read it to make sure you cut the right size waistband.

Kass

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Are you doing fall-front breeches? I haven't seen this pattern yer using. I found one from Simplicity that turned out pretty good. I still like converting sailor's blue's when I can get them.

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

• 2 weeks later...

Kass, another question on this pattern... if adding the fly, would you make the waistband that much longer (so that its buttons align with the fly's buttons), or would you run the fly all the way up to the top of the waistband? I'm thinking the former...that's the way I made my pre-Kass breeches anyway... but I want to get this right. TIA!

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick