Making a pirate costume the easy way?

Naveed

As someone who has experience trying to make something out of nothing with nothing all I have to say ...can't be done. You can mimic the look but not have it even close to accurate. There is a BIG difference between what you can get away with on stage and what you can/want to use for reinacting. You can find things that are 'close' but need alterations but if you are good enough to alter something why not just make them? If you are remotely serious about doing this you will save yourself money in the long run and if you are not ...you can probably sell what you have made. Goodwill purchases will just need to be re-donated (unless your alterations are FANTASTIC).

Now, if you are set on mimicking from goodwill etc. My suggestion is find lots of photos and keep looking through the racks. You may be better off looking at vintage shops.

Long vest were in style a good 15 years or so ago. Look in the woman's section for a waistcoat. Unless you are sure of the print pattern go with solids.

"Puffy shirts" can be found. Problematic in that they are usually bright colors (womans section also) and usually made of a blend so they are generally colorfast. Again, not accurate but ...good enough for a start.

Slacks can be cut or altered and when you wear the shirt out no one can see the zipper/elastic ...for the most part.

The boot/shoe debate is ongoing. Again, look at pictures (many provided in "Captain Twill". You can find shoes that will 'pass' at thrift stores. It is easier for women because the skirts cover them. Rope sandals seem to be the least expensive route to go authentic.

Even after giving this advice I say make your garb.

Remember, look at "Captain Twill" threads here at the pub!

I have seen passable shoes made using old riding boots, or cowboy boots with snipped toes. Remove the top part (shaft), which, if the design is right, leaves a shoe with a long piece that looks like a tongue. Disguise that with a large buckle and there it is.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

As one whose dayjob is at a thriftstore, I would say it'd be cheapest to buy ye sheets at me store and make the costume yerself. Sometimes ye can find halfway desent boots, but you just have ta keep an eye out and check back often.

291681265_m.jpg Drink Up Me Harties Yo Ho!

Be creative! The best idea to go off of is think, 'gypsy'.

I can put together a pirate outfit from just about any thrift store.

I use sheets as lining for bodices and such.

Best, find some corduroy/twill pants preferably with no pockets, but if you are good, you can take a seam ripper and take off the outside pockets. (No denim) Surprisingly, you can use old sweatpant pants by turning them inside out for the more 'textured rough' look and again cut them off where you want them. Also if you can find drawstring pants, usually they are of lightweight cottons, they are the best- just no silly prints!

Cut pant legs off to where you want them, don't hem, just let them unravel with time and washings.

Do look in the women's section for vests and shirts.

Check shoes, sometimes you can find just the right thing. I've seen several great shoes at the thrift stores near me. Some sandals will fit the bill too.

Same with hats, women's hats are the best. Either straw or felt, you can take off any decor that might be on them, and fold them up into a tricorn or whatever you want and decorate them yourself.

You can usually find all kinds of scarves and jewlery to add to your look too.

The best is take two natural looking laundry bags (usually sold at Big Lots) and put them together to make slops (just cut a bit out for the crotch and butt, sew together). Run the tops so that they are one hem, run a drawstring through and bingo! I did this for Louie Lambie years ago and he still likes them!

Thanks for all the responses. Going by what all of you have said, I'm gonna most likely be doing a combo of homemade items as well as some stuff found in thrift stores. Maybe my mother in law can help me with the sewing stuff.

This thread got me thinkin' ....

How cheaply can someone put together Pyrate garb......

Thrift shops are a must...

an old sheet made into a shirt (the chances of finding a puffy sleeved one are kinda slim...and if I did find on, the button holes would be on the wrong side.....)

Drawstring pants, or a pair of extra large pants, gathered with a strip of cloth so they are baggy... take off back pockets then chop off the legs below the knee for slops. Then distress the snot outta them.....

A lineniey table cloth cut and re-sewn to make a sach ... also hides the belt loops that were needed to gather the pants into slops......

A pair of stripie socks (Hey....I didn't say this idea had to be period.....)

A pair of squaire toed work boots with the tops cut off. Finding a pair of buckles would be too much of a hastle, so I'd poke holes in them, and then add leather thongs for shoelaces....

A lady's scarf or a colorfull bed sheet cut about 24" X 24" for a head rag....

A lady's felt hat re-blocked, or a straw hat folded into a cocked hat, and then painted with black paint for a tarred tarplin hat.

A blue man's dress coat, with the sleeves cut off, and yellow nylon cord (fron the hardware store) whip stitched on as trim. worn as a waistcoat.

Just for funsies, I might put together a "Thrift Store Pyrate" I figure it would cost less than $20 to do so....

oh this brings back memories your better making your own... trust me... me and a mate finally had to give up after we came up with the who the $%^& would wear this catagory...

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

This thread got me thinkin' ....

How cheaply can someone put together Pyrate garb......

It really depends Pat, on where ye want to go with yer gear. For fun or for accuracy, would really make a difference in the price... for our crew, we do the sewing/labour for nothing but folks do need to get the proper fabrics, buttons, narrow wares, weapons, shoes etc... so we may save some costs but not all....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

For what it's worth, my wife has filled in bits of her kit now and then at - of all places - Target.

A "peasant skirt" for $10, though it's not really accurate - more of her landswoman look.

A pair of cotton drawstring pants for $12, I think they were meant as pajama bottoms. No pockets, and hang to just below the knee.

Scarves are easy enough to find there, though usually with some really awful patterns - even for today, and lots of the cheaper straw hats. Not to mention costume jewelry - some of which will work at a bit of distance.

sig2.jpg